Parenthood (1990 TV series)
|Directed by||Alan Myerson
Ed Begley, Jr.
Zachary La Voy
Max Elliott Slade
|Opening theme||"I Love to See You Smile" performed by Randy Newman|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Ron Howard
David Tyron King
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Imagine Television
|Original release||August 20, 1990– August 11, 1991|
|Preceded by||Parenthood (1989 film)|
|Followed by||Parenthood (2010)|
The series delivered seriocomic vignettes on rearing children, revolving around four generations of a middle-class California (the movie however, took place in St. Louis, Missouri) family, the Buckmans. The Huffners of the film were renamed the Merricks on the TV series.
The pilot episode was considered by USA Today and New York Post as the best movie-to-TV spinoff since M*A*S*H. However, ratings for the series were low and Parenthood was canceled after 12 episodes.
The series is notable for featuring a number of people who at the time were unheard of but later became famous. One of the writers on the show was Joss Whedon. The cast featured Leonardo DiCaprio, David Arquette, and Thora Birch (billed simply as "Thora" here).
Cast and characters
- David Arquette as Tod Hawks (portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the film)
- Jayne Atkinson as Karen Buckman (portrayed by Mary Steenburgen in the film)
- Ed Begley, Jr. as Gil Buckman (portrayed by Steve Martin in the film)
- Thora Birch as Taylor Buckman (portrayed by Alisan Porter in the film)
- Maryedith Burrell as Helen Buckman (portrayed by Dianne Wiest in the film)
- Leonardo DiCaprio as Garry Buckman (portrayed by Joaquin Phoenix in the film)
- Mary Jackson as Great Grandma Greenwell (portrayed by Helen Shaw in the film)
- Zachary La Voy as Justin Buckman (reprising his role in the film)
- Sheila MacRae as Marilyn Buckman (portrayed by Eileen Ryan in the film)
- Bess Meyer as Julie Buckman Hawks (portrayed by Martha Plimpton in the film)
- Susan Norman as Susan Buckman Merrick (portrayed by Harley Jane Kozak in the film)
- Ken Ober as Nathan Merrick (portrayed by Rick Moranis in the film)
- Ivyann Schwan as Patty Merrick (reprising her role in the film)
- Max Elliott Slade as Kevin Buckman (portrayed by Jasen Fisher in the film)
- William Windom as Frank Buckman (portrayed by Jason Robards in the film)
*Max Elliott Slade, who portrayed Kevin Buckman on the TV series also portrayed a younger version of Steve Martin's character in the film.
|1||"Pilot"||Allan Arkush||Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel||August 20, 1990||101|
|2||"My Dad Can Beat Up Your BMW"||Allan Arkush||David Tyron King||September 22, 1990||102|
|3||"The Plague"||Alan Myerson||Joss Whedon||September 29, 1990||103|
|4||"I Never Invested for My Father"||Betty Thomas||David Tyron King||October 6, 1990||104|
|5||"Love Stinks"||Allan Arkush||Russ Woody||October 13, 1990||105|
|6||"Cars & Cards"||Alan Myerson||Glen Merzer||October 20, 1990||106|
|7||"Hollow Halloween"||Allan Arkush||Jerry Lacy||October 27, 1990||107|
|8||"Small Surprises"||Matia Karrell||Joss Whedon||November 3, 1990||108|
|9||"Take My Parents, Please"||Allan Arkush||TBA||November 10, 1990||109|
|10||"Thanksgiving with a T that Rhymes with B that Stands for Basketball"||Betty Thomas||David Tyron King||November 17, 1990||110|
|11||"Gil vs. the Deck"||Matia Karrell||Allison M. Gibson||December 16, 1990||111|
|12||"Fun For Kids"||Allan Arkush||David Tyron King, Joss Whedon||August 11, 1991||112|
A new television adaptation of the movie premiered on NBC in March 2010. Craig T. Nelson and Bonnie Bedelia play the parental roles, they are joined by Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Erika Christensen, Dax Shepard and Monica Potter.
- "Parenthood Takes To Air". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- Carter, Bill. Carter, Bill (1990-12-17). "Heard About a Film That Became a Television Series?". newyorktimes.com.
- Bianculli, David. "One Big Happy Family," New York Post, August 20, 1990.
- Collins, Monica. ""Parenthood," Fun for Kids of All Ages," USA Today, August 20, 1990.
- "NBC Order Pilot Of Parenthood @ Unreality Primetime". Primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- "Monica Potter Joins NBC's Parenthood". Movieweb.com. 2009-04-20. Retrieved 2009-05-02.