|Pari Mahal پری محل|
|Location||Dal Lake, Zabarwan mountain Range, near Cheshmashahi, Srinagar|
|Founder||Prince Dara Shikoh, son of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan|
|Operated by||State Government|
Pari Mahal (Urdu: پری محل ) or The Angels' Abode is a seven terraced garden located at the top of Zabarwan mountain range over-looking city of Srinagar and south-west of Dal Lake. The architecture depicts an example of Islamic architecture and patronage of art during the reign of the then Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. It is five-minute drive from Cheshmashahi, Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir, India.
The Pari Mahal was built by Mughal Prince Dara Shikoh in the mid-1600s. It served as a library and an abode for him. Dara Shikoh was said to have lived in this area in the years 1640, 1645, and 1654. It was further used as an observatory, useful for teaching astrology and astronomy. The gardens have since become the property of the Jammu and Kashmir government.
The Pari Mahal has also been used as a top-secret interrogation center.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pari Mahal.|
- Brookes, John. Gardens of Paradise: The History and Design of the Great Islamic Gardens. New York: New Amsterdam, 1987.
- Kak, Ram Chandra. Ancient Monuments of Kashmir. New Delhi: Sagar Publications, 1971.
- Sharma, Suresh K., and S. R. Bakshi. Encyclopaedia of Kashmir. New Delhi: Anmol Publications Pvt Ltd, 1995.
- Temple, Richard. Journals Kept in Hyderabad, Kashmir, Sikkim, and Nepal. London: W.H. Allen, 1887.
- Jammu & Kashmir Tourism Ministry
- "Pari Mahal: The Fairies Abode | Jammu and Kashmir". Mapsofindia.com. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- S. P. Agrawal, Modern History of Jammu and Kashmir: Ancient times to Shimla Agreement, p. 10
- "Srinagar Municipal Corporation ::. Official Website of Srinagar Municipal Corporation, J&K-Pari Mahal". Smcsite.org. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- "Pari Mahal - Srinagar". Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Swami, Praveen (2006-10-19). India, Pakistan and the Secret Jihad: The Covert War in Kashmir, 1947-2004. Routledge. p. 1. ISBN 9781134137527.