Paris Township, Stark County, Ohio
|Paris Township, Stark County, Ohio|
This abandoned underpass has long been a target for Graffiti
Location of Paris Township in Stark County
|• Total||33.8 sq mi (87.4 km2)|
|• Land||33.7 sq mi (87.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||938 ft (286 m)|
|• Density||177.3/sq mi (68.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086985|
Paris Township is one of the seventeen townships of Stark County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,969 people in the township, 3,938 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Knox Township, Columbiana County - northeast corner
- West Township, Columbiana County - east
- Augusta Township, Carroll County - southeast corner
- Brown Township, Carroll County - south
- Osnaburg Township - west
- Nimishillen Township - northwest
Part of the village of Minerva is located in southeastern Paris Township, and three unincorporated communities lie in the township: New Franklin in the northeast, Paris in the northwest, and Robertsville in the west.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Stark County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 361. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- census data: 1820 : 1820 page 137 , 1830 : Kilbourn, John (1831). The Ohio gazetteer: or, Topographical dictionary: describing the several ... in the State of Ohio. self. p. 332. , 1840, 1880 : Howe, Henry (1907). Historical Collections of Ohio, The Ohio Centennial Edition. The State of Ohio. p. 285. , 1850, 1860, 1870 : 1870 page 35 , 1890, 1900 : Hunt, William C. (1901). Population of the United States by states and territories, counties, and minor Civil Divisions, as returned at the Twelfth Census: 1900. United States Census Printing Office. p. 318. , 1910, 1920, 1930 : 1930 page 56 , 1940, 1950 : 1950 page 21 , 1960, 1970 : 1970 page 135 , 1990 : 1990 , 2000 : 2000
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.