At Baeksang Arts Awards, May 2017
June 16, 1993 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Other names||Park Bo-geom|
|Revised Romanization||Bak Bo-geom|
Park Bo-gum (Hangul: 박보검; Hanja: 朴寶劍; born June 16, 1993) is a South Korean actor. He gained recognition for his diverse range of roles in film and television, notably, a psychopathic lawyer in Hello Monster (2015), a genius Go player in Reply 1988 (2015) and a Joseon Crown Prince in Love in the Moonlight (2016).
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 In the media
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Discography
- 6 Fan meeting
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life and education
Born in Seoul on 16 June 1993, Park is the youngest of three siblings. "Bo-gum" (寶劍) means 'precious sword'. His mother died when he was in fourth grade. He started learning to play the piano when he was in kindergarten and was a pianist and choir member at church. He was also in the swimming varsity team of Seoul Mokdong Middle School.
During Park's sophomore year of high school he sent a video of himself singing and playing the piano to prominent talent management agencies which led to several offers. Park, who initially wanted to be a singer-songwriter, later changed his career path after a suggestion that he would do well acting. He graduated from Shinmok High School in 2012, and enrolled at Myongji University as a Musical Theater undergraduate in March 2014. The following year, he represented his university's cultural overseas exchange program where he traveled to cities in England, France, Italy and Switzerland.
Park debuted as an actor under Sidus HQ, playing a supporting role in the thriller film Blind (2011). He then joined Blossom Entertainment and featured in the action-comedy film Runway Cop (2012), one-off KBS drama special Still Picture (2012) and the period drama Bridal Mask (2012). In 2013, he landed his first major role in the weekend drama Wonderful Mama playing the playboy son of Bae Jong-ok's character.
2014–2015: Rising popularity and breakthrough
In 2014, Park played the teenage version of Lee Seo-jin's character in the melodrama Wonderful Days and played a prodigy cellist in the KBS2'S Cantabile Tomorrow, an adaptation of the Japanese manga Nodame Cantabile. The roles earned Park Best New Actor nominations in both the KBS Drama Awards and APAN Star Awards.
He next featured in box-office hits A Hard Day (2014) which also screened at Cannes Film Festival and The Admiral: Roaring Currents (2014) which became the highest grossing Korean film of all time.
In May 2015, Park joined Music Bank as a co-host alongside Red Velvet's Irene. They both gained attention for their chemistry as well as singing and hosting skills. The press called them one of the best partnerships in the show's 18-year history and Park was awarded the Best Newcomer Award at the KBS Entertainment Awards.
A departure from his previous roles and public image, Park gained rave reviews from audience and critics with his scene-stealing role in crime drama Hello Monster (2015). The portrayal won him the Popularity and Best Supporting Actor awards at the year-end KBS Drama Awards. The same year, he featured in Coin Locker Girl which screened at Cannes Film Festival. The role earned him a nomination for Best New Actor in Film at the Baeksang Arts Awards and won him a Rising Star Award at the 11th MaxMovie Awards.
He then starred as one of the leads in the third installment of the Reply series where he played the genius Go-player Choi Taek in Reply 1988 (2015). The show was a hit with audience ratings peaking at 18.8% making it the highest rated Korean drama in cable television history, and earned Park the nickname "Nation's Little Brother". The role catapulted him to fame in Korea and made him known as an emerging Korean Wave star, with the Top Chinese Music Awards presenting him with Best International Artist Award, the American-based DramaFever Awards giving him the Best Rising Star Award and tvN10 awarding him Asia Star Award.
2016–present: Mainstream success
In August 2016, he starred in KBS2's historical drama Love in the Moonlight alongside Kim Yoo-jung. A domestic and overseas hit, Moonlight achieved peak audience rating of 23.3%. Its popularity was called "Moonlight Syndrome", and solidified Park's status as a versatile leading actor. He received several accolades for the role including a Best Actor nomination and Popularity Award at the 53rd Baeksang Arts Awards, as well as the Top Excellence Award at the 30th KBS Drama Awards. Park also released his first soundtrack for Moonlight's OST entitled "My Person" which topped Melon, Mnet, Bugs, olleh, Soribada, Genie, Naver and Monkey3 charts upon its release and debuted at #3 on Gaon Music Chart.
He embarked on his first Asia-wide fan meeting tour in the tail-end of 2016, visiting eight cities and meeting more than 30,000 fans in the continent's East and Southeast regions until March 2017.
In the media
Park, a Hallyu star, is known for his upstanding persona. Colleagues describe him as kind and polite with advertisers praising his "boyishness and manliness", "easygoing and high-class image" and "bright and positive vibe". His pop culture influence has been referred to as "Bo-gum Magic" and after Moonlight, Park has been called the "Nation's Crown Prince". He has also been affectionately called the top candidate for "Nation's Son-in-Law" stemming from his diverse fan-base ranging from teens to grandmothers.
In 2016, by the age of 23, Park became the youngest artist to be named Actor of the Year by Gallup Korea. In 2017, he topped Forbes magazine's Korea Power Celebrity list, making him the first ever actor to do so.
Park is an endorser of a wide range of brands in and outside South Korea. The "Park Bo-gum Effect", coined by the Korean Business Research Institute, refers to his consistent high brand reputation ranking indicating his effectiveness as an endorser across different demographics.
|2012||Runway Cop||young Cha Chul-soo|
|2014||A Hard Day||Officer Lee Jin-ho|
|The Admiral: Roaring Currents||Bae Soo-bong|
|Twinkle-Twinkle Pitter-Patter||Jun-woo||Short film|
|2015||Coin Locker Girl||Park Seok-hyun|
|Drama Special "Still Picture"||young Kim Hyun-soo||KBS2|
|Bridal Mask||Han Min-kyu||Ep. 26–28|
|2013||Wonderful Mama||Go Young-joon||SBS|
|2014||Wonderful Days||young Kang Dong-seok||KBS2|
|Cantabile Tomorrow||Lee Yoon-hoo|
|2015||The Producers||Himself||Ep. 9 cameo|
|Hello Monster||Jung Sun-ho/Lee Min|
|2015-2016||Reply 1988||Choi Taek||tvN|
|2016||Love in the Moonlight||Lee Yeong||KBS2|||
|2015||2 Days & 1 Night||KBS2||Cameo (Season 3; Episode 103)|
|2016||Youth Over Flowers: Africa||tvN||Cast member|
|Running Man||SBS||Cameo (Episode 293)|
|Sister's Slam Dunk||KBS2||Cameo (Season 1; Episode 2)|
|2 Days & 1 Night||Guest (Season 3; Episode 137, 138, 139)|
|2017||Running Man||SBS||Cameo (Episode 342)|
|Infinite Challenge||MBC||Guest (Season 4; Episode 524, 525, 526)|
Music video appearances
|2015||Forget You (Teaser)||d.ear||Also vocals and piano|
|2015-2016||Music Bank||KBS2||With Irene|
|2015||29th KBS Drama Awards||With Jun Hyun-moo, Kim So-hyun|
|2016||KBS Song Festival||With Seolhyun|||
|30th KBS Drama Awards||With Jun Hyun-moo, Kim Ji-won|||
|2017||Music Bank World Tour: Singapore||With Irene|||
|Music Bank World Tour: Jakarta|||
|2016||"My Person (내 사람)"||
||Love in the Moonlight OST|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|January 16, 2016||Seoul||Our Exciting First Meeting||KBS Arena|||
|April 23, 2016||Taipei||Close to U||Taipei International Convention Center|||
|December 10, 2016||Kuala Lumpur||Oh Happy Day:
2016-2017 Asia Fan Meeting Tour
|Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre|||
|December 17, 2016||Hong Kong||AsiaWorld–Expo|||
|January 13, 2017||Jakarta||Kota Kasablanka|||
|January 22, 2017||Taipei||National Taiwan University Sports Center|||
|February 4, 2017||Tokyo||Tokyo International Forum|||
|February 11, 2017||Bangkok||Thunder Dome, Muangthong Thani|||
|February 18, 2017||Singapore||The Star Performing Arts Center|||
|March 11, 2017||Seoul||Grand Peace Hall, Kyung Hee University|||
Awards and nominations
|2014||28th KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Cantabile Tomorrow, Wonderful Days||Nominated|
|2015||4th APAN Star Awards||Cantabile Tomorrow, Hello Monster||Nominated|
|14th KBS Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Music Bank||Won|
|29th KBS Drama Awards||Popularity Award, Actor||Hello Monster||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Won|
|2016||InStyle Icons: Next Generation||New Generation Actor Award||N/A||Won|||
|11th Max Movie Awards||Rising Star Award||Coin Locker Girl||Won|||
|8th Style Icon Asia||Style Icon||N/A||Won|||
|16th Top Chinese Music Awards||Best International Artist||N/A||Won|||
|52nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Coin Locker Girl||Nominated|||
|Most Popular Actor (Film)||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Reply 1988||Nominated|
|iQiyi Global Star Award||N/A||Nominated|
|InStyle Fashion Award||N/A||Won|
|4th Annual DramaFever Awards||Best Rising Star||Reply 1988||Won|||
|Best Kiss (with Lee Hye-ri)||Won|
|5th APAN Star Awards||Best New Actor||Won|||
|9th Korea Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||Love in the Moonlight||Nominated|
|tvN10 Awards||Made in tvN Actor, Drama||Reply 1988||Nominated|||
|Best Kiss (with Lee Hye-ri)||Nominated|
|Asia Star Award||Won|
|Asia Artist Awards||Most Popular Actor||N/A||Nominated|
|Asia Star Award, Actor||N/A||Won|||
|Best Star Award, Actor||N/A||Won|||
|Melodi Awards||Most Influential Korean Drama Personality||N/A||Won|||
|OSEN Awards||Star of the Year||N/A||Won|||
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Asia Popular Artist Award||N/A||Nominated|||
|SBS Cult Two Show Awards||Most Mentioned||N/A||Won|||
|30th KBS Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Love in the Moonlight||Nominated||
|Top Excellence, Actor||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Mid-length Drama||Nominated|
|Best Couple (with Kim Yoo-jung)||Won|
|Best Kiss (with Kim Yoo-jung)||Won|
|2nd Fashionista Awards||Best Dresser of the Year||N/A||Won|||
|2017||Korea Brand Awards||Special Award||N/A||Won|||
|16th Korea Assembly Grand Award||Acting Award||N/A||Won|||
|53rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actor, Television||Love in the Moonlight||Nominated|||
|Most Popular Actor, Television||Won|||
- Jang, Seo-yoon (10 October 2013). Park Bo-gum: An Honest Young Man in the Spotlight. TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Park Bo-gum: "My mom died when I was in fourth grade..."". XSports News.
- "The King's Precious Sword". Oh My News. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- "Park Bo-gum: Thank You, 2015. Take Care of Me, 2016". Hankook Ilbo.
- "Video of Park Bo Gum Singing That Got Him Into Several Large Agencies Revealed". Insight. 2015-11-30. Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- "Tomorow Cantabile: Mysterious Cellist Park Bo-gum". Star 1.
- "Park Bo-gum: I Was a Cheerful Boy Growing Up". Ten Asia.
- "Park Bo-gum On College, Acting, and His Seniors". TV Daily.
- "[리폿@이슈] 박보검, 명지대의 '검느님'을 아시나요?". tvReport.
- "Awakening the Centuries". Elle Korea. Archived from the original on 2016-03-02.
- "Park Bo-gum: "I first wanted to be a singer..."". MBN.
- "We are all guilty of falling in love with Park Bo-gum". Chosun Woman.
- "Bae Jang-ok: Park Bo-gum Was Crying Before the Take". XSports News.
- "내일도 칸타빌레' 박보검, "女心 지휘하는 매력남"". Hankooki.
- "참좋은시절 이서진 아역 박보검, 훈훈한 외모에 사투리…"매력있어!"". MBN.
- "‘KBS연기대상’ 박보검, 어린왕자 패션+피아노 연주까지 ‘훈훈’". FNNews.
- "‘2015 APAN STAR AWARDS‘". NewsTown.
- "Director Kim Sung-hoon: I Saw Potential in Park Bo-gum". XSports News.
- "박보검, '뮤직뱅크' 새 MC 발탁…아이린과 호흡". TV Report.
- "[리폿@이슈] "송중기♥서효림→박보검♥아이린"…'뮤뱅' 역대 커플 MC". TV Report.
- "'KBS 연예대상' 설현 박보검 이재윤, 남녀 신인상 수상". news1.
- "종영 ‘너를기억해’ 박보검이라는 배우의 발견". Newsen.
- "'대세' 박보검, 조연상 이어 인기상 '2관왕'(KBS 연기대상)". TV Report.
- "'차이나타운' 김고은-박보검, "풋풋해~" 보기만 해도 설레는 커플 화보 공개!". iStyle24.
- "‘백상예술대상’ 고경표-박보검-박서준-박정민-태인호, 일생 단 한 번뿐인 男 신인상은 누구에게". Top Star News.
- "2016 MaxMovie Awards: Rising Star Award". Asia Today.
- "Park Bo-gum: Nation's Little Brother". Seoul Shinmun.
- "[tvN10어워즈] 박보검, 영상통화 성공…tvN아시아상 수상". Donga.
- "박보검, ‘APAN' 신인상에 "불허한다 내상이다"…매력 발산". MTN.
- "박보검 측 "류준열·안재홍·고경표와 '꽃청춘' 합류"(공식입장)". Naver.
- "'1박2일' 박보검 효과 톡톡히, 시청률 19.9%…'2년 만에 자체 최고 시청률'". eToday.
- "박보검·아이린, '뮤직뱅크' MC 하차(공식입장)". news1.
- "[SW이슈] 박보검, '구르미'로 증명한 배우로서의 가치". Naver.
- "‘Love in the Moonlight’ ranks first among Korean dramas". Manila Bulletin.
- "[SC초점] '태후'→'구르미'로 본 성공법칙, #엔딩5분#박보검#송중기". Sports Chosun.
- "'Love in the Moonlight' tops 20 percent in viewership". Yonhap News.
- "(News Focus) 'Love in the Moonlight' shines through unexpected success". Yonhap News.
- ""'보검매직' 또 빠져볼까"…KBS W 30일 '구그달' 전편 방송". Yonhap News. January 28, 2017. Retrieved February 1, 2017.
- "From "Reply" to "Moonlight": A Chronicle of Park Bo-gum's Acting". OSEN.
- "Actor Park Bo-gum wins 'older' women's hearts". KPopHerald.
- "박보검 '욘사마 열풍' 재현…50~70대 여성 팬들 열광".
- "Park Bo-gum is 2016's Man of the Year". OSEN.
- "박보검 '내사람', 7개차트 1위 맹공…아이돌급 인기". Naver.
- ""박보검, 못하는게 뭐니" OST까지 1위…'내 사람' 음원 차트 '올킬'". Naver.
- "Actor Park Bo-gum embarks on Asia tour". Korea Times.
- "Don’t know Park Bo-gum? Well, you should". Star2.
- "Park Bo-gum Meets Over 30,000 Fans in Asia Tour". Joy News.
- "Squeaky clean image wins over public". Kpop Herald.
- "Reply1988 Park Bo-gum, I didn't do any plastic surgery! No alcohol, cigarette, swearing". YouTube.
- "Park Bo-gum: "National Man of Good Influence"". Sports Seoul.
- "New Man". GQ Korea.
- "Korea caught in 'Bo-gum magic'". Korea Times.
- "Nation's Crown Prince Park Bo-gum is a Champion in Politics". TenAsia.
- "Nation's Crown Prince Park Bo-gum's OST Tops 8 Music Chart's". CNB News.
- "Nation's Crown Prince Park Bo-gum Chosen as Cosmetics Model". dailian.
- "Nation's Crown Prince Park Bo-gum to Embark on 8-city Asia Tour". JoongAng Ilbo.
- "Park Bo-gum interview pt. 1: ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’". Kpop Herald.
- "Park Bo-gum interview pt. 2: Celebrity life". Kpop Herald.
- "Park Bogum captivates fans from pre-teens to grandmas... reminiscent of 'Yonsama syndrome'". Yonhap News.
- "박보검, '2016 아시아 투어 팬미팅' 개최". Chosun Ilbo.
- "박보검, 출구없는 매력발산…‘심쿵’하는 강렬한 눈빛 [화보]". MBN.
- "Park Bo-gum is Gallup's Actor of the Year after "Reply" and "Moonlight"". Yonhap News.
- "Park Bo-gum beats Song-Song Couple as Top Actor of the Year". Naver.
- "[SPECIAL EDITION (1)] 박보검·송중기 한국 최고 파워 셀러브리티". Forbes.
- "Park Bo-gum selected as top celebrity". Korea Herald.
- "Park Bo-gum earns 4 Billion Won from CFs for 2016". Newsen.
- "How Companies Utilize Park Bo-gum as their Brand Ambassador". The PR News.
- "The "Park Bo-gum Effect": 453% Increase". Naver.
- "What is Cinema for the Blind?". Joongang.
- "Actor Park Bo-gum to take on period drama after 'Reply 1988'". Korean Herald.
- "From Park Bogum to masked Cha Tae Hyun, union race". XSports News.
- "MuDo: The Unexpected Charms of Park Bo-gum". Star News.
- "Park Bo Gum Shows His Piano Skills". BNT News.
- "Park Bo-gum to host "KBS Song Festival"". OSEN.
- "Park Bo-gum and Jun Hyun-moo to host 2016 KBS Drama Awards". E-today.
- "Park Bo-gum and Irene Confirmed as Music Bank World Tour Hosts for Singapore Stop". Chosun.
- "KBS "박보검X아이린, '뮤직뱅크 인 자카르타' MC 확정"(공식)". XSportsNews.
- Cumulative sales for "My Person":
- "Gaon Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- "Bogum's Era: Park Bo-gum Sheds Tears in First Fan Meeting". Dailian.
...Park Bo-gum met with 3,500 fans.
- "Park Bo-gum Meets 2,500 fans in Taiwan". Yonhap News.
- "The Power of a New Generation Hallyu Star: Park Bo-gum Kicks Off '16-'17 Asia Tour". Ten Asia.
...3,000 seats filled in Malaysia stop.
- "Park Bo-gum Meets 4,000 fans in Hong Kong". JoongAng Ilbo.
- "Park Bo-gum Hailed as "Indonesia's Little Brother", Passes the Bo-gum Magic at Fan Meeting". Chosun.
...attended by 3,000 Indonesian fans.
- "Crown Prince of Asia: Park Bo-gum Delights 4,000 Fans in Taiwan". Star News.
- "Actor Park Bo-gum Greeted by 5,000 Fans in Japan". Yonhap News.
- "Park Bo-gum's Thailand Fan Meeting". Biz Center.
...more than 4,000 fans attended.
- "Bogum Magic: Park Bo-gum Charms Singapore as "Crown Prince of Asia"". Chosun.
...attendance of 3,500.
- "Park Bo-gum on Asia Tour: "I will not let your love be in vain"". Pop Herald.
Attended by more than 4,000 fans...
- "InStyle Icons:Next Generation". InStyle Korea.
- "Max Movie: 2016 Rising Stars Award". The Star.
- "'SIA' 스타일아이콘 10인 공개, 'G-Dragon, 리이펑, 박보검, 소녀시대, 송승헌, 송중기, 유아인, 이정재, 이하늬, 하지원'". Star Daily News.
- "박보검 음악풍운방연도 시상식서 아티스트상 수상..中 인기도 여전해". ASIAE.
- "Male Rookie Actor Nomination". Paeksang Arts Awards.
- "2016 한류팬이 뽑은 최고의 배우는 지성-박보영". Yonhap News.
- "APAN Star Awards". Newsen.
- "Park Bo-gum wins tvN10 Asia Star Award". Donga.
- "Park Bo-gum wins Asia Star Award for "Reply" and "Moonlight"". OSEN.
- "Park Bogum and Suzy win Best Star Awards". Chosun.
- "Winners of 3rd Melodi Awards". Panduan Malaysia.
- "Park Bo-gum Hailed by Actors and Industry Representatives as "Star of the Year" for 1st OSEN Awards". OSEN.
- "Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards". Yahoo!.
- "‘컬투쇼’ 박보검, 출연 없이 ‘최다 언급상’ 수상…홍경민 "박보검 父와 밥 먹었다" [출처] 비". BizCenter.
- "KBS Daesang Nominees: Park Shin-yang, Song Hye-kyo, Song Joong-ki and Park Bo-gum". JTBC.
- "Top Excellence Award Winners at KBS Drama Awards". Chosun.
- "2016 KBS Drama Awards Winners". eToday.
- "Interview with Best Dresser of the Year Park Bo-gum". Celeb's Pick Naver TVCast.
- "Park Bo-gum, Jo Jung-suk Honored at the 2017 Korea Brand Awards". XSports News.
- "16th Korea Assembly Grand Award". News Prime.
- "'구르미'VS'도깨비' 작품상 경쟁…'백상예술대상' 후보 발표(종합)". Korea Herald.
- "'백상예술대상' 박보검 인기상 수상, "선한 영향력 가진 배우 되고 싶다" 축복 전해". Asia Economy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Park Bo-gum.|