This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Park in 2013
|Birth name||Park Hyo-shin|
December 1, 1981|
South Chungcheong Province, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Bak Hyo-sin|
Park Hyo-shin (Hangul: 박효신, Hanja: 朴孝信; born December 1, 1981) is a South Korean ballad singer and musical theatre actor known for his emotional vocals. He debuted in 1999 and has since released many hit songs including, "Snow Flower," "Wild Flower," and "Good Person."
Early life and career beginnings
Park Hyo Shin was born on December 1, 1981 in Chungcheongnam-Do Yesan.
When Park was young, he sang trot, a Korean traditional genre, at his family's restaurant. The guests liked Park singing, so they visited Park's family restaurant often. Though he was young, many people heard he sang very well so they visited the restaurant to listen to him sing.
When Park was in high school, he decided to become a singer via his friend's suggestion and participated in many competitive singing festivals where he won many trophies.
He also became a trainee at a Korean entertainment company. However, due to problems that happened in his management company, he moved to another company. Park thought there wouldn't be any problems in this new company, but this company forced Park to pay money because he ignored a sponsor. Due to these issues, Park thought about giving up his dream of being a singer. However, his friend introduced Park to composer Hwang Yoon Min, and he started to sing again under Hwang's supervision.
Park trained to become a singer for almost a year until his debut date. On November 4, 1999, he appeared in a radio station. Then on November 30, 1999, he released his first album Things I Cannot Do For You, with the title song being "Fool".
Park became famous to Korean citizens when he attended a KBS TV show called Lee Sora's Propose. After appearing on the program, his popularity increased significantly, which led to 440,000 copies of his debut album being sold and his album placing 15th on 2000's Music Recording Sales. He was also rewarded for the 15th Golden Disk Awards: Rookie of the Year award.
The album Second Story was released in February 2001, and the title song "Longing" was a big hit. This album’s producers were famous Korean producers Yoon Sang, Kim Dong Ryul, Jo Kyu Man and Yoo Hee Yeol, who made Park’s album even more sophisticated. The fans say that this album was the highest grossing album to date, but in Park’s interview he said this album was not for him, but rather for the producers.
The next album, Time Honored Voice, was released in September 2002 with 470,000 copies sold. Park's main title song was also a hit, giving him 3 hits songs in a row, which paved the way to be one of the greatest artists in Korea. By this effect, the title song "A Good Man" ranked first for two weeks in a row in SBS Inkigayo and won Main Prize in the 17th Golden Disk and Seoul Music Award, making Park even more famous. The song that is said to have brought Park Hyo Shin to fame was "Snow Flower." This song was not any song from an album, but rather it was a remake OST song for the KBS Drama "I'm Sorry, I love You" that was broadcast in 2004. The original song was sung by Mika Nakashima; however, people thought the song that Park Hyo Shin had better delivery. This song has become well known even today and is perceived with positive acclaims by musicians and music critics.
Park Hyo Shin released his 5th full studio album in 2006 after 3 years. The title song for this album was "Memories are Getting Similar to Love" and ranked top 3 in the music chart that time.
Park not only participate in his album, but he also participated in the OST a lot. He participated in a Korean TV program called Iljimae by singing the song "Hwashin," which means "Flower Letter" in English. In 2008, he also participated in Hwang Project as the lead vocal by releasing an album "The Castle of Zolter," which had different music from the music that he sang before.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of his debut, Park held a series of concerts, titled Park Hyo Shin's Gift from 17 to 19 October 2009 at the Olympic Fencing Gymnasium. On May 23, 2009, Park participated on Green Concert. At the same time, he also worked on his 6th studio album. On September 15, 2009, Park released his 6th album, Gift- Part 1. The song "After Love" made it to number one on the music charts.
In 2014, Park released a mega hit song called "Wild Flower". This song was released in 2014, but by March 2016 it still placed 70th. This song is about a couple who broke up and want to erase their memories, but also a metaphor for how he had overcome all the hardships in his life like a wildflower blooming in harsh winter, and the song title was inspired by Skylark song "Wildflower". In 2014, Park released a digital single called "Shine Your Light". This song was also a good song, but the citizens thought that "Wild Flower" was more well made song, so this song didn't become as popular as others.
Park's contract with Jellyfish Entertainment since 2008 was expired in 2016. On August 24, 2016 Park later signed a contract with Glove Entertainment. Glove Entertainment confirmed that Park will be released full album in fall. Park also will be held a showcase and concert "I Am A Dreamer" was scheduled in October.
Park's style of singing had changed over time. As new albums were released, his singing style changed. From his first to fourth album, he used a singing method called the "So-mol-e Method (it means chasing cow Method)". The So-mol-e Method is a Korean R&B singing method that is particularly unique compared to other methods. Seven years after debuting, Park started singing more comfortably, with his natural voice which we can hear in his latest albums.
When Park released his 5th album, his singing style had fully changed. His voice was significantly soft, easy to listen to, and the delivery was better than the Somole Method. People thought that Park's new singing style became similar Eric Benét, and on Interview, Park clarified that Eric Benét was a singer whom he liked and admired and adopted his singing method.
In his song "Shine Your Light", Park employed a sweet and mellow singing style. This song served as a reminder to listeners Park Hyo Shin's nature as someone who listens to his fans and changed according to their concerns.
Park Hyo Shin is considered as being the one of the best Korean singers because of his singing style. He is among the top 4 singers in Korea whom Koreans call "Kim Na Park Lee" , as in Kim Bum Soo, Naul, Park Hyo Shin and Lee Soo.
Due to his introverted personality, Park rarely appears on TV or radio. He prefers to stay at home and doesn't like to go outside.
- Things I Can't Do For You (1999)
- Second Story (2001)
- Time-Honored Voice (2002)
- Soul Tree (2004)
- The Breeze of Sea (2007)
- Gift, Part 1 (2009)
- Gift, Part 2 (2010)
- I Am a Dreamer (2016)
|2013||Elisabeth||Tod (Death)||Seoul Arts Center|||
|2015||Phantom||Erik||Chungmu Art Hall|||
|2018||The Man Who Laughs||Gwynplaine||Seoul Arts Center|||
Awards and nominations
|2009||Hall of Fame||"Snow Flower"||Won|||
|2000||Rookie Artist Award||"Things I Can't Do For You"||Won|||
|2002||Main Prize (Bonsang)||"Good Person"||Won|
|2014||Song of the Year||"Wild Flower"||Nominated|||
|Ballad of the Year||Nominated|
|2017||Stage of the Year||"I Am a Dreamer"||Won|||
|2000||Best New Male Artist||"Things I Can't Do For You"||Nominated|||
|2002||Best Ballad Performance||"Good Person"||Nominated|||
|2007||Best Male Artist||"Memories Resembles Love"||Nominated|||
|2009||Best Ballad/R&B Performance||"After Love"||Nominated|||
|2016||Best Male Artist||"Breath"||Nominated|||
|2002||Main Prize (Bonsang)||Park Hyo-shin||Won|||
- "박효신 소개". Mnet (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- Hong, Dam-young (2017-12-28). "Balladeer Park Hyo-shin to return with wintry 'Winter Sound'". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- Sung, Ji-eun (2018-03-23). "Park Hyo-shin joins 'The Man Who Laughs'". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- Jin, Min-ji (2016-08-18). "Park Hyo-shin joins new agency". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "박효신 고향". kin.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Shine the light : 네이버 블로그". blog.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "미스터X風流세상 : 네이버 블로그". blog.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "박효신의 `좋은 사람' 4주째 1위". entertain.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "네이버 뮤직 :: 미안하다 사랑한다 OST (KBS 미니시리즈) - Various Artists". music.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "드라마 '일지매', 박효신의 '화신'담긴 OST발매". 드라마 '일지매', 박효신의 ‘화신’담긴 OST발매 - 세상을 보는 눈, 글로벌 미디어 - 세계일보 -. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "Event Calendar: October 2009" Korea Herald. 2 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-04-10
- Han, Jung-hun (2009-09-30). "[뮤직 클럽] 박효신 `사랑한후에` 1위 대박행진 Park Hyo-shin 'After Love' be ranked No.1". etnews.com.
- "멜론차트>멜론 TOP 100>실시간>멜론". www.melon.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Choi, A. (24 August 2016). "Ballad King Park Hyo Shin To Come Back Under New Agency".
- Hong, C. (31 August 2016). "Park Hyo Shin's Comeback Details Revealed; Agency Clarifies".
- "박효신창법변화". kin.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "소몰이 창법에 대한 오해와 진실 Part. 1". 써니의 음악공간. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "대한민국 남자 4대 보컬 분석!김나박이(김범수,이수,박효신,나얼)". 네이버 블로그 | 백석신학원 실용음악과. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "박효신 격하게 아낀다 : 네이버 블로그". blog.naver.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Kim, Hye-su (2000-03-30). "젊음과 자유, 광기의 무대..박효신-진주, 뮤지컬 '락 햄릿'서 호흡". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Lee, Claire (2013-08-04). "Royalty seduced by death". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Lee, Sun-young (2014-06-24). "Park Hyo-shin evolves". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Lee, Sun-young (2015-02-16). "Park Hyo-shin to star as Phantom". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "역대수상자" [Past Winners]. Golden Disc Awards (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "Melon Music Awards". Melon (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "2000 MMF part 1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "2002 MMF part 1". Mwave. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "2004 MKMF part 1". Mwave. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "2007 Mnet KM Music Festival Part1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-12-14.
- "2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards Part1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-12-18.
- Yun, Jun-pil (2016-10-28). "방탄·엑소·트와이스 등 '2016 MAMA' 후보 공개…2016년의 주인공은?". Ten Asia (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "Award List". Seoul Music Awards. Archived from the original on 2014-08-18. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Sunwoo, Carla (2012-09-28). "Park Hyo-shin gets not just one, but two military awards". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2018-07-28.