Park Lane (mall)
Spring Garden Road entrance
|Location||Halifax, Nova Scotia|
|Address||5657 Spring Garden Road|
|No. of stores and services||40+|
|Total retail floor area||120,463 square feet (11,191.4 m2)|
|No. of floors||3|
|Public transit access||Halifax Transit (numerous routes)|
Park Lane is located on Spring Garden Road in Halifax. Parking is available at a parking garage attached to the shopping centre. Park Lane was built in 1988, and opened that same year. A 1999 paper in the Canadian Journal of Urban Research called it the "premier fashion mall" in the city.
The mall is located underneath a seven-storey office tower called Park Lane Terraces, which comprises 109,856 square feet (10,206.0 m2) of office space arranged around an atrium looking down into the shopping centre.
The plan in 1986 was for a $50-million building to be available by mid-1988, including office, retail and parking space, with Famous Players as a central tenant for six of twelve proposed cinemas. Robert McAlpine Ltd was contracted for the construction. The initial investors were Halifax Developments Ltd and Atlantic Shopping Centres Ltd, which as of 1991 remained co-owners of the mall. The two companies subsequently merged, and later became Crombie REIT, who put the mall up for sale in 2014.
The Famous Players cineplex, the original anchor tenant at Park Lane, was called the "most ambitious multiple screen venue" in Halifax by Cinema Canada, and it more than doubled the number of screens in the city. It was purchased by Empire Theatres in 2004 and renovated. Empire was subsequently sold to the Cineplex Entertainment chain, and the cineplex was accordingly rebranded once again.
- "About Park Lane". Park Lane Mall. Crombie Properties. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- Bunting, Trudi E; Millward, Hugh (June 1999). "A tale of two CBDs II: the internal retail dynamics of downtown Halifax and downtown Kitchener", Canadian Journal of Urban Research 8 (1): 1–27.
- "Park Lane Terraces Fact Sheet" (PDF). Crombie Properties. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- The Canadian Press. "Halifax to get $50-million office complex". Toronto Star. November 5, 1986. p. B3.
- Curren, Reg (November 1987). "Retailers in Expansionary Mood", Atlantic Business 6 (6): 22.
- Green, Morris. "Halifax retail complexes are changing". Financial Post. July 31, 1991. p. 10.
- Zaccagna, Remo. "Park Lane Mall soon to be sold". The Chronicle Herald. January 30, 2014. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Taylor, Roger. "Crombie REIT ‘sympathetic’ to Cogswell redevelopment". The Chronicle Herald. May 15, 2014. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Majka, Chris (March 1988). "Eastern Wave". Cinema Canada. p. 73. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Empire Company Announces Sale of Empire Theatres". CNW Group. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2014.