Park Young-Seok (Korean: 박영석, Hanja: 朴英碩, November 2, 1963 - October 2011 on Annapurna) was a South Korean mountaineer. He is the first person in the world who completed a True Explorers Grand Slam. He has climbed the world's 14 Eight-thousanders, the Seven Summits, and visited both poles. He holds the world's second fastest time (behind Jerzy Kukuczka of Poland) for ascending the 14 Eight-thousanders, the Guinness World Record for climbing six of the 8,000-meter Himalayan peaks within one year, and another record for reaching the South Pole on foot in 44 days, self-sufficient and without any food re-supplies.
|Name of Peak||Elevation (m)||Date of summit|
|23.||North Pole||Sea level||2005-04-30|
Missing on Nepal Expedition
Park went missing on October 23, 2011 while attempting a new route on Annapurna. Young-Seok Park, Dong-Min Shin and Gi-Seok Gang decided to abort the climb at around 6400 meters due to heavy rock fall and went missing during the descent. Despite a dangerous and daring rescue operation to find the missing climbers, no signs of Park, Shin or Gang were found. The Korean Alpine Federation called off the rescue operation for Park and his team at 12:00 on October 28, 2011.
- List of climbers
- List of Mount Everest summiters by number of times to the summit
- List of 20th-century summiters of Mount Everest
- "The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Korean Mountaineer Missing on Annapurna". English.chosun.com. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Everest K2 News Explorersweb - the pioneers checkpoint". Explorersweb.com. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Woo, Jaeyeon (2011-10-31). "With Park Gone, Korea Loses Its Trailblazer - Korea Real Time - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Young-seok Park's official website (Korean language only)
- Park Young-Seok summits Everest from Tibet - then traverses to the South side! (mounteverest.net)
- Mr. Park completes the Grand Slam (everestnews.com) May 1, 2005
- Arctic wrap-up: Tension increasing in Russia, Korean Park starting from Canada
- Breaking News: Park Young-seok (aka Mr. Park) has just became the first person to complete the GRAND SLAM! (adventuregrandslam.com)
- The North Face - Athletes - Park Young Seok