Parkdale Collegiate Institute
|209 Jameson Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M6K 2Y3
|School type||High school
IB World School
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Robin Pilkey|
|Enrollment||635 (spring 2008)|
Parkdale High School opened in the Masonic Hall on Dowling Avenue in 1888. When the town of Parkdale was annexed to the City of Toronto a year later in 1889, Parkdale High School moved to its new residence on Jameson Avenue where it became the Jameson Avenue Collegiate Institute, and later the Jameson Collegiate Institute. In 1910, the school was renamed to its present name of Parkdale Collegiate Institute. The original building served until 1928 and then demolished while the school moved to the present structure which was completed in 1929. The school has had two additions, the most recent in the 1960s. Parkdale Collegiate Institute is one of the oldest secondary schools in the City of Toronto.
Parkdale Collegiate Insititute is a certified International Baccalaureate World School which began in April 2007.  It currently offers the IB Preparation Programs for Grade 9 and 10 and the IB Diploma Programme for Grade 11 and 12. The current head of the department for the IB program at Parkdale Collegiate Institute is Miro Barknik.
One of the first teachers was Nellie Spence, one of the first female secondary school teachers in Toronto, who taught at Parkdale from 1888 on. The Nellie Spence Archive Room in the school containing memorabilia and local history is named after her.
Parkdale has a rich history of athletics. This years Senior Girls Volleyball team were the Toronto AA representatives at OFSAA. The Senior Boys Volleyball team were the Toronto AA representatives at OFSAA for the 2014-2015 season which was held in Northern Ontario.
In the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal, three Parkdalians participated as members of the Canadian Olympic team, Marvin Nash in the 100 metres, Bishop Dolegiewicz in discus and George Tintor in rowing.
- Fred Gardiner, lawyer and politician; first chairman of Metropolitan Toronto
- Faisal Kutty, prominent lawyer and law professor
- Goody Rosen, Major League Baseball All-Star outfielder
- Charles Templeton, Canadian cartoonist, evangelist, agnostic, politician, newspaper editor, inventor, broadcaster and author
- Anne Mroczkowski TV reporter and news anchor.
- Bonnie Dobson Folk singer, 1960s and 70s.
(Nigel Sparks) Orthepedic surgeon/ side line doctor for NFL Jacksonville Jaguars
- "Parkdale Collegiate" (PDF). Toronto and District School Board. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- "Parkdale Collegiate School Program" (PDF). Toronto and District School Board. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
|This Ontario school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|