Parkfairfax Historic District
Preston Road entrance to Parkfairfax
|Location||Bounded by Quaker Ln., US 395, Beverley Dr., Wellington Rd., Gunston Rd., Valley Dr., Glebe Rd. and Four-mile Run, Alexandria, Virginia|
|Area||132 acres (53 ha)|
|Architect||Schultz, Leonard and Associates; Clarke, G.D., and Rapuano, Michael|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||99000146|
|Added to NRHP||February 22, 1999|
|Designated VLR||December 10, 1998|
Parkfairfax is a neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia, United States, located in the northwestern part of the city near the boundary with Arlington County. Nearby thoroughfares are Interstate 395 (Shirley Highway), State Route 402 (Quaker Lane), and West Glebe Road.
The neighborhood consists of 1,684 townhouse-type condominium apartments in more than 200 buildings on 132 acres (53 ha) built in 1941 and 1942 by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company of New York at the request of U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt to provide housing near the new Pentagon. Like the neighboring Arlington County neighborhood of Fairlington, Parkfairfax is listed on both the National Register of Historic Places and on the Virginia Landmarks Register.
The name is similar to those of other Metropolitan Life projects that use a local area name preceded by "park" (e.g., Parkchester, Parklabrea, and Parkmerced) despite the area not having been a part of Fairfax County since 1801.
Former presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford both lived in Parkfairfax for a time when they were in the United States Congress. Secretary of State (under John F. Kennedy) Dean Rusk also lived in Parkfairfax.
From 1977 to 1979, Parkfairfax was renovated and sold as condominium apartments.
Recreation and commerce
The Arlington County community of Shirlington provides restaurants, stores, bars, live theater, a cinema, and the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail trailhead within walking distance for Parkfairfax residents via a pedestrian walkway that crosses the Shirlington Circle interchange with I-395. Nearby shopping can be found at The Village at Shirlington.
- Cooperative Village
- Co-op City
- Mitchell Lama
- Parkchester, Bronx
- Parkmerced, San Francisco
- Park La Brea, Los Angeles
- Penn South
- Riverton Houses
- Rochdale Village, Queens
- Stuyvesant Town–Peter Cooper Village
- Checkers speech
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- The area was part of Arlington County and its predecessors until it was annexed by the independent city of Alexandria in 1929.
- The Pope's Condo in Alexandria, WETA, 9/21/2015
- "Complex Analysis: Not-So-Secret Garden-Style Units of Fairlington, Parkfairfax Grow in Popularity and Price" from the Washington Post