Parkway Drive in Bangkok in 2009
|Also known as||PWD, Parkway|
|Origin||Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia|
Parkway Drive is an Australian metalcore band from Byron Bay, New South Wales, formed in 2003. As of 2015, Parkway Drive has released five full-length albums (Killing with a Smile, Horizons, Deep Blue, Atlas and Ire), one EP, two DVDs, a split album and one book, Ten Years of Parkway Drive. The band's latest four albums have reached the top 10 of the Australian ARIA Charts, with Ire reaching number 1 in October 2015.
The band's line-up has remained consistent for most of their career, with the only exceptions being the departure of Brett Versteeg in 2004, followed by Shaun Cash in 2006; since the addition of bassist Jia O'Connor in 2006, no members have left the group.
- 1 History
- 2 Style
- 3 Tours
- 4 Members
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Early years and Killing With A Smile (2003–2006)
Parkway Drive was formed at the beginning of 2003. The band took their name from the street where their home rehearsal space and live venue, 'The Parkway House', was located. In the 2009 documentary on 'Parkway Drive: The DVD' the explains that there was a lack of venues for punk rock and hardcore punk bands to practice and perform and that 'Parkway House' was like 'a little oasis for us and all our friends'. The group played their first show at the Byron Bay Youth Centre where I Killed The Prom Queen vocalist Michael Crafter, visiting from Adelaide, also first saw the group and gained their interest. The I Killed the Prom Queen / Parkway Drive: Split CD was released June 2003 and both groups toured Australia over the rest of the year. After signing with Resist Records the band released the Don't Close Your Eyes EP in 2004 and opened for Shadows Fall, Chimaira, Hatebreed and Alexisonfire on subsequent Australian tours. Winston McCall commented on the EP in early 2005 that he was surprised that 'for six songs it's done amazing for us...I'm surprised that kids picked it up so well' Following Brett Versteeg's replacement by Shaun Cash, Parkway Drive flew to the United States where they recorded their debut full-length Killing with a Smile with Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz in just two weeks. Manager Graham Norton later noted that 'it was not the "done thing" for an Australian band to head overseas and work with a producer of that sort of calibre'. The album debuted in the Australian Album (ARIA) charts at 39. In 2006 the group toured in Europe, their first time performing overseas, and later returned to North America. In late May 2006, bass player Shaun Cash left the band for personal reasons with full support from the rest of the members. He was replaced by their "merch guy" and long-time friend, Jia "Pie" O'Connor. Parkway Drive signed to American punk label Epitaph in June 2006.
Following their return to Adam Dutkiewicz's studio, Horizons was released on 6 October 2007. The album was generally acclaimed by critics and fans alike; especially Blunt Magazine, 'simply slays from the get go' and awarded it 10/10, and planet-loud.com, which suggested that it would 'set the benchmark for metal albums to come'. It debuted at number 6 on the ARIA Charts.
Deep Blue (2010–2011)
On 23 March 2010, Parkway Drive entered the studio to begin recording their third album, Deep Blue, with producer Joe Barresi. According to their lead vocalist Winston McCall, this was to be their rawest and heaviest record to date. According to a blog that posted on Myspace on 1 April 2010, they had finished tracking the drums for the album. According to a blog posted on 8 April 2010, Parkway Drive were half finished with rhythm guitars, bass and vocals for the upcoming untitled album. On 17 April 2010, Parkway Drive officially announced that they finished recording the forthcoming album, and added a studio diary video to their Myspace. On 26 April, vocalist Winston McCall revealed in a video-interview two new song-titles: "Home Is For The Heartless" (feat. Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religion) and "Hollow" (feat. Marshall Lichtenwaldt of The Warriors). Winston stated in the interview that the European tour they're on now is the last tour they will be on until the release of the new album, indicating that the album should be out in stores sometime before the Vans Warped Tour begins.
In September, the group was nominated for an ARIA Award for Deep Blue in the newly created Best Hard Rock, Heavy Metal Album category and eventually won. It was the first ARIA Award in the band's history.
In 2011, Winston McCall was featured in The Warriors' song "Panic", from their album See How You Are. That same year, he was featured in You Me At Six's song "Time Is Money" from their album Sinners Never Sleep. It was announced in early 2011 that Parkway Drive would perform at the Sonisphere Festival in Imola, Italy on 25 June and in Knebworth, UK on 10 July.
In an interview with NME, Winston spoke briefly about an upcoming fourth studio album. Winston is quoted as saying, "We've got ideas for this record that are bigger than anything we've done in the past. We're trying to pencil it in, but we want to get in the studio sooner rather than later." The vocalist also gave an update on the condition of the band's guitarist Luke 'Pig' Kilpatrick. The guitarist has been forced to play with the band from a wheelchair after a surfing accident, but McCall said he was improving and would be up on his feet for the band's next tour. He said: "I think he'll be in a cast for a couple more weeks. His leg had swelled up to the size of a football, but it's come down now. He still can't walk on it yet. It's made for an interesting couple of tours and it'll be weird when he is walking around again."
On 10 April, Parkway Drive released a trailer for their new Blu-ray/DVD entitled Home Is For The Heartless with a set release date for 6 July
In an interview with Reviewed Music, Winston McCall stated that "Parkway Drive will be entering the studio following their April European/UK tour to begin recording their upcoming fourth album." Parkway Drive announced via instagram that they will officially begin recording their new album on 20 June in LA.
In February 2014, Parkway Drive announced they will be participating in the 2014 Warped Tour on the main stage. On 11 April 2014 they announced on their Instagram that they are working on a new album. On 4 June 2015, Parkway Drive teased a letter for their upcoming fifth studio album; later the same day, the album cover was leaked online in its entirety. The album will be called Ire, and a new single entitled "Vice Grip" with a music video was released to the public on 8 June 2015. The release date of Ire is 25 September. On 20 June, "Vice Grip" peaked at number 88 on the Australian singles chart, making it the band's second charting single after "Dark Days", which peaked at number 71 in September 2012. "Crushed" from Ire later reached number 96 on 29 August.
On July 11 2016, the band released a new single "Devil's Calling" for the deluxe edition of Ire.
The band's genre has been described as metalcore. Their sound employs unclean vocals, guitar riffs and breakdowns. Unlike many other popular modern metalcore bands, Parkway Drive did not use clean vocals on any of their studio albums until their most recent studio album Ire, although they did use them on some songs on their first two EPs, on which they were performed by the band's original bassist Brett Versteeg. Parkway Drive's vocalist, Winston McCall, has a younger brother who is a vocalist in the hardcore punk band 50 Lions.
- 2007 Vans Warped Tour- As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Chiodos, Funeral for a Friend, Coheed & Cambria, All Time Low, Blessthefall, Alesana, New Found Glory, Bad Religion, Parkway Drive, Haste the Day, Norma Jean
- 2008 USA Winter Tour- Killswitch Engage, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Every Time I Die, Parkway Drive
- Thrash and Burn 2008- Darkest Hour, Parkway Drive, Suicide Silence, After the Burial, Misery Signals, Winds of Plague, Stick to your Guns, Arsis, Abigail Williams, Arsonists Get All the Girls, Emmure, Veil of Maya, As Blood Runs Black
- Sweat Fest 2008- Parkway Drive, A Day to Remember, Suicide Silence, The Acacia Strain, Confession
- Never Say Die 2008 Tour- Parkway Drive, Unearth, Protest the Hero, Despised Icon, Architects, Carnifex, Whitechapel
- Sick Summer Tour- Parkway Drive, Confession, Word Up!
- Pulling your Pud Tour- A Day to Remember, Parkway Drive, In Fear & Faith, I See Stars
- Never Say Die 2010 Tour- Parkway Drive, Comeback Kid, Bleeding Through, Emmure, War From A Harlots Mouth, Your Demise
- 2010 Vans Warped Tour- The Dillinger Escape Plan, Suicide Silence, Of Mice & Men, Parkway Drive, The Word Alive, Attack Attack, Closure in Moscow, Sum 41, Bad Religion, In Fear and Faith, Every Time I Die
- Deep Blue New Zealand Tour- Parkway Drive, The Ghost Inside, The Devil Wears Prada, Antagonist
- European 2010 Tour- Parkway Drive, Despised Icon, Winds of Plague, The Warriors, 50 Lions
- BMTH European Headliner- Bring Me The Horizon, Parkway Drive, Architects, The Devil Wears Prada
- Deep Blue USA headliner- Parkway Drive, Set Your Goals, The Ghost Inside, The Warriors
- Madness & Mayhem- Bring Me the Horizon, Parkway Drive, Architects, Deez Nuts, While She Sleeps
- The Mix n Mash Tour- Parkway Drive, Miss May I, Confession, The Wonder Years
- 2012 European Tour- Parkway Drive, The Ghost Inside, Miss May I,
- Atlas Australian Tour- Parkway Drive, I Killed the Prom Queen, Northlane, Confession
- Atlas European Tour- Parkway Drive, Emmure, The Word Alive, Structures
- Atlas North American Tour- Parkway Drive, The Word Alive, Veil of Maya, While She Sleeps
- 2013 Euro Summer Cruise- Parkway Drive, Chelsea Grin, After the Burial, Rise of the North Star, Thy Art is Murder
- 2013 Vans Warped Tour (Europe and Australia)
- Mini 2014 USA Tour- Parkway Drive, Upon A Burning Body, Betrayal
- South American Tour- Parkway Drive & Heaven Shall Burn
- 2014 Vans Warped Tour
- European Tour 2014- Parkway Drive, Heaven Shall Burn, Carnifex, Northlane
- IRE 2015 Australian Tour- Parkway Drive, Thy Art is Murder, Memphis May Fire, The Word Alive
- IRE 2015 United States Tour- Parkway Drive, Miss May I, Thy Art is Murder, In Hearts Wake
- IRE 2016 UK Tour- Parkway Drive, Bury Tomorrow, Thy Art is Murder
- IRE 2016 European Tour- Parkway Drive, Architects, Thy Art is Murder
- IRE 2016 Russia Tour- Parkway Drive & Annisok
- Some Shows USA Tour- A Day to Remember, Parkway Drive, State Champs
- IRE USA Spring Tour- Parkway Drive
- All Aussie Adventure Tour- Parkway Drive & Make Them Suffer
- IRE European Summer Tour
- Unbreakable USA Tour- Parkway Drive, We Came as Romans, Counterparts
- Impericon Festivals 2017
|Parkway Drive discography|
|Title||Album details||Peak positions||Sales||Certifications
|2005||Killing with a Smile||39||—||—||—||—||—||—||166||—||—|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|2004||Don't Close Your Eyes
with I Killed the Prom Queen
|2003||What We've Built
with Think Straight / Shoot To Kill
|"Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em"||2006||Killing with a Smile||N/A|||
|"Sleepwalker"||2010||Deep Blue||Winston McCall & Aaron Briggs|||
|"Dark Days"||2012||Atlas||Aaron Hymes|||
|"Vice Grip" #19 Mainstream Rock Songs||2015||Ire||Frankie Nasso|||
|"Devil's Calling" #34 Mainstream Rock Songs||2016||Ire (Deluxe Edition)|
- Parkway Drive: The DVD (2009; Resist, Epitaph)
- Home Is for the Heartless (2012; Resist, Epitaph)
- Parkway Drive AllMusic
- Killing with a Smile Fret Play
- "Band's Official Bio". Facebook. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- 'Parkway Drive: The DVD' Epitaph Records, 2009
- Parkway Drive-previously unreleased interview 2005 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umEIP9EhbgU
- "PARKWAY DRIVE'S HORIZONS TOPS THE CHARTS!". Epitaph. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Hung, Steffen. "Parkway Drive Horizons". Australian Charts Portal (Hung Medien). Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Parkway Drive Set for Heavy Sound". Lake Times. 14 January 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2010.[dead link]
- Parkway Drive | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's
- Parkway Drive geben Song-Titel für neues Album aus - METAL HAMMER
- "History: Winners by Year 2010: 24th Annual ARIA Awards". ARIA Awards 2010. Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Full list of 2010 ARIA Award nominations - The West Australian
- http://ausindies.com.au/awards.html,[permanent dead link] Australian Independent Record Labels Association Ltd (AIR) 2012
- You Me At Six enlist Bring Me The Horizon and Parkway Drive for new album | News | NME.COM
- Motorhead, Mastodon, In Flames and Parkway Drive join Sonisphere line-up
- "Parkway Drive discuss 'bigger' new album at Sonisphere | News". New Musical Express. 10 July 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Interview: Winston McCall (Parkway Drive)| News". reviewedmusic.com. 2012-02-18. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "@parkwaydriveofficial's Instagram photos". Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- Ryan, Gavin (13 June 2015). "ARIA Charts: Taylor Swift Bad Blood Remains At No 1". Noise11. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Ryan, Gavin (20 June 2015). "ARIA Singles: Conrad Sewell Returns To No 1 With Start Again". Noise11. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Ryan, Gavin (29 August 2015). "ARIA Singles: Calvin Harris 'How Deep Is Your Love' Is No 1". Noise11. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Parkway Drive". Allmusic.
- "Parkway Drive - Atlas". Decoy Music. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "Parkway Drive - Atlas (2012)". Me Gusta Reviews. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "Parkway Drive - Atlas". Revolver Magazine. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "Parkway Drive - Atlas". Kill Your Stereos. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "Parkway Drive - Killing With a Smile". Metal Review. Retrieved 25 December 2012.[dead link]
- "Parkway Drive". Rhapsody. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Discography Parkway Drive". australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Discography Parkway Drive". charts.org.nz/. Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 8 May 2008. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Parkway Drive – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Parkway Drive – Chart History: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chartverfolgung / Parkway Drive / Longplay". musicline.de (in German). PhonoNet. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Discographie Parkway Drive". austriancharts.at (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Discography Parkway Drive". swisscharts.com (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Discographie Parkway Drive". www.ultratop.be/nl (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Discographie Parkway Drive". www.ultratop.be/fr (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Parkway Drive Artist Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "ARIA Charts".
- "ARIA Charts".
- "Chart Log UK: Rodney P. - The Pussycat Dolls". www.zobbel.de. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2011 Albums". ARIA Charts. Archived from the original on 28 August 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Upcoming Releases". Hits Daily Double. HITS Digital Ventures. Archived from the original on 17 September 2015.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2013 Albums". ARIA Charts. Archived from the original on 5 February 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2016 Albums". ARIA Charts. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parkway Drive.|