Parle G biscuits with Indian filter coffee
|Tagline||The Tasty Healthy Food: World's Largest Selling Biscuit|
Parle Products was established as byconfectionery in the Vile Parle suburb of Mumbai, in 1929. It began manufacturing biscuits in 1939. In 1947, when India became independent, the company launched an ad campaign, showcasing its Gluco brand of biscuits as an Indian alternative to the British biscuits.
Parle-G biscuits were earlier called 'Parle Gluco' Biscuits until the 1980s. The "G" in the name Parle-G originally stood for "Glucose", though a later brand slogan also stated "G means Genius". They use sugar rather than glucose as the main sweet ingedient, although they do contain some inverted sugar.
Primarily eaten as a tea-time snack, Parle-G is one of the oldest brand names in India. For decades, the product was instantly recognized by its iconic white and yellow wax paper wrapper. The wrapper features a young girl (an illustration by Everest creative Maganlal Daiya back in the 1960s).
Now, it is available in plastic wrapping. Design of packaging is the same as earlier. When the company changed the packaging of Parle-G from wax paper to plastic, they made an ad of putting Parle-G in fish tank.
The low price is another important factor in Parle-G's popularity. Outside India, it is sold for 99 cents for a 418 gram pack as of 2012. A more common 80 gram "snack pack" is sold for as low as 15 cents at Indian grocers, and 40 cents at major retailers.
- "Parle-G world's No 1 selling biscuit: Nielsen". Economic Times. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- Jill Didur (2006). Unsettling partition: literature, gender, memory. University of Toronto Press. p. 22. ISBN 978-0-8020-7997-8.
- Parle-G Glucose Biscuits Ingredients
- 73-year-old biscuit pioneer, Parle-G becomes India’s first homegrown Rs 5K crore FMCG brand. Economic Times, 13 February 2013.
-  By Shephali Bhatt. ET Bureau, 30th Oct 2013
- Will Parle-G be relevant to the next generation? by Preethi Chamikutty. Economic Times, 16 January 2013.
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2014".