|Industry||Food and Beverage|
|Headquarters||Vile Parle (East), |
|Prakash Jayantilal Chauhan (Chairman & MD) |
Schauna Chauhan (CEO)
Alisha Chauhan (Director)
Nadia Chauhan (Director)
|Products||Frooti, Appy, LMN, Hippo, Bailley, Coca-Cola|
Parle Agro is an offshoot of Parle Products, which was founded in 1929 in British India. It was owned by the Chauhan family of Vile Parle, Mumbai. The original Parle company was split into three separate companies owned by the different factions of the original Chauhan family:
- Parle Products, led by Vijay, Sharad and Raj Chauhan (owner of the brands Parle-G, Melody, Mango Bite, Poppins, Kismi Toffee Bar, Monaco and Krack Jack)
- Parle Agro, led by Prakash Chauhan and his daughters. (owner of the brands such as Frooti and Appy)
- Parle Bisleri, led by Ramesh Chauhan
All three companies continue to use the family trademark name "Parle".
Separation from the parent company
Parle Agro commenced operations in 1984. It started with beverages, and later diversified into bottled water (1993), plastic packaging (1996) and confectionery (2007). Frooti, the first product rolled out of Parle Agro in 1985, became the largest selling mango drink in India.
The original Parle group was amicably segregated into three non-competing businesses. But a dispute over the use of "Parle" brand arose, when Parle Agro diversified into the confectionery business, thus becoming a competitor to Parle Products. In February 2008, Parle Products sued Parle Agro for using the brand Parle for competing confectionery products. Later, Parle Agro launched its confectionery products under a new design which did not include the Parle brand name. In 2009, the Bombay High Court ruled that Parle Agro can sell its confectionery brands under the brand name "Parle" or "Parle Confi" on condition that it clearly specifies that its products belong to a separate company, which has no relationship with Parle Products.
Parle Agro brands
Parle Agro Pvt. Ltd operates under three major business verticals:
- Beverages – fruit drinks, nectars, juice, sparkling drinks
- Water – packaged drinking water
- Foods – confectionery, snacks
Parle Agro also diversified into production of PET preforms (semi-finished bottles) in 1996. Its customers include companies in the beverages, edible oil, confectionery and pharmaceutical segments.
- Launched in 1985, Frooti was India's only beverage sold in a Tetra Pak packaging at the time. It went on to become the largest selling Mango drink in the country. Frooti's website has some Frooti mocktail recipes on their website.
- Appy Classic was launched in 1986 as an apple nectar and originally available in a white Tetra Pak packaging with an apple and leaf graphic. As of 2011[update], it comes in black Tetra Pack packaging. It was the first apple nectar to be launched in India.
- Appy Fizz
- Launched in 2005, Appy Fizz is India’s first sparkling apple drink available in a champagne shaped PET bottle.
- Saint Juice
- Launched in 2008, Saint Juice is available in three variants – Orange, Mixed fruit, Grape and Apple. At the time of its launch, its USP was "100% juice with no added color, sugar or preservatives".
- LMN was launched in March 2009, as non-carbonated lemon drink (nimbu paani or lemonade)
- Grappo Fizz
- Launched in 2008, Grappo Fizz is a sparkling grape juice drink. Credited with creating the sparkling fruit drinks category in India, Grappo Fizz is along the lines of existing product Appy Fizz.
- In 2012, Parle Agro launched India's first Jeera Masala Soda, Dhishoom. It packs a flavourful punch with every sip.
- Frio is a range of flavoured carbonated drinks. A refreshing new addition to the Parle Agro portfolio, it is currently available in 3 flavours - Lemon, with sweet lime juicy notes, Orange, with a zingy sweet burst and Cola, with a strong fizzy punch.
- Cafe Cuba
- Launched in 19 May 2013, It's a new product & first of its kind ;Cafe Cuba is a carbonated Cuban coffee, more of a bottled Espresso.
- Flavour : Strong Coffee with little sugar, Helps to activate your energy levels up high.
- Bailley Soda
- Launched in 2010, Bailley Soda, with its evocative packaging and impeccable taste. Their packaging theme is inspired by military colours and also the bottles are made like grenade.
- Frooti Fizz
- Launched in March 2017, Frooti Fizz is a sparkling mango juice drink. Bollywood actress Alia Bhatt has signed a deal with Parle Agro to endorse the product. Frooti Fizz is available in 250ml PET bottle, 500ml PET bottle and 250ml can.
- Parle Agro have launched BAILLEY packaged drinking water.
- it has also introduced pouches of drinking water.
- Mintrox mints (launched in 2008), hard mint sweets available in 2 flavours
- Buttercup sweets (launched in 2008), hard boiled sweets.
- Buttercup Softease, a toffee available in 4 flavours
- Softease Mithai, a toffee available in 3 flavours
- Kaccha Aam, a toffee.
- Hippo (launched in 2008), baked snack available in six flavours
- Hippo Namkeens, is an assortment of traditional snacks from various parts of India. Hippo Namkeens is now available in a range of seven traditional Indian snacks: Aloo Bhujia, Chana Dal, Moong Dal, Sev Bhujia, Masala Peanuts, Khatta Meetha, Navratan Mixture.
- "Parle Agro Private Limited: Private Company Information". Bloomberg. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Paramita Chatterjee & Ratna Bhushan (2009-08-10). "Chauhans lock horns over Parle brand, yet again". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "Parle Agro Forays Into Pure Juice Market". Medianewsline.com. 2008-10-17. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- Dev Chatterjee & Meghna Maiti (2008-09-15). "Chauhan siblings close to settling row over Parle brand". Economic Times. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- Paramita Chatterjee & Ratna Bhushan (2009-01-13). "No sign of truce in battle over 'Parle' brand". Economic Times. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "Parle Agro to expand plastic packaging biz". Business Standard. 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "Brand Yatra: From 'Fresh 'n' Juicy' to 'Why grow up', Frooti goes the mango way". Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- Kar, Sayantani (2009-11-24). "Parle Agro: In nature's lap". Business Standard. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "Parle Agro looks to penetrate home consumption market for LMN". Business Standard. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2011-10-12.