|Member of Parliament|
for Steveston—Richmond East
|Assumed office |
September 20, 2021
|Preceded by||Kenny Chiu|
|Residence||Richmond, British Columbia|
|Alma mater||British Columbia Institute of Technology|
Royal Roads University (Master of Arts)
Paramvir "Parm" Bains is a Canadian politician who currently represents Steveston—Richmond East as a member of the Liberal Party of Canada. In the 2021 Canadian federal election, he defeated incumbent Kenny Chiu.
Prior to his election, Bains was an instructor at Kwantlen Polytechnic University. Previously, he was a media and public relations officer with the provincial government. He ran for Richmond City Council in the 2018 British Columbia municipal elections. He is originally from Victoria, British Columbia. He is married and has two children.
Prior to the 2021 Campaign Bains attended a controversial rally which broke COVID regulations and where a political organizer was found dead under suspicious circumstances. Bains is also alleged to have benefited from Chinese government misinformation efforts against Conservative Kenny Chiu, which ultimately helped Bains win. He has faced ongoing criticism for his close relationship with Chinese government affiliated individuals.
|2021 Canadian federal election: Steveston—Richmond East|
|New Democratic||Jack Trovato||7,525||19.32||+4.25||$9,430.58|
|Green||Françoise Raunet||860||2.21||–4.87||none listed|
|Total valid votes/expense limits||38,949||100.00||–||$108,448.59|
|Total rejected ballots||363||0.92||–0.10|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||+7.74|
|Source: Elections Canada|
Top 8 candidates elected — Incumbents marked with "(X)". Elected members' names are in bold
|RITE Richmond||Carol Day (X)||20,871||7.01|
|Richmond Citizens' Association||Harold Steves (X)||19,136||6.43|
|Richmond Community Coalition||Chak Au (X)||18,026||6.05|
|Richmond First||Bill McNulty (X)||17,242||5.79|
|Richmond Citizens' Association||Kelly Greene||16,464||5.53|
|Richmond First||Linda McPhail (X)||15,521||5.21|
|RITE Richmond||Michael Wolfe||13,627||4.58|
|Independent||Alexa Loo (X)||13,212||4.44|
|Richmond First||Derek Dang (X)||13,115||4.40|
|Richmond First||Andy Hobbs||12,336||4.14|
|Richmond Citizens' Association||Judie Schneider||11,672||3.92|
|Richmond Community Coalition||Ken Johnston (X)||11,161||3.75|
|Richmond Community Coalition||Jonathan Ho||11,140||3.74|
|Richmond Citizens' Association||Jack Trovato||10,915||3.67|
|Richmond First||Sunny Ho||8,933||3.00|
|RITE Richmond||Niti Sharma||8,917||2.99|
|RITE Richmond||Henry Yao||8,467||2.84|
|Richmond First||Peter Liu||8,357||2.81|
|Richmond Community Coalition||Parm Bains||7,973||2.68|
|Richmond Community Coalition||Melissa Zhang||7,708||2.38|
|Independent||Patrick J. Saunders||2,241||0.75|
- "Election 2021 results: Liberals heading toward sweep in Richmond and Delta". vancouversun.
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/parm-bains-95b61019a/?originalSubdomain=ca[self-published source]
- "Parm Bains | Team Trudeau". parmbains.liberal.ca.
- "Steveston-Richmond East riding: Voters send 'extremely clear' message, says Liberal MP-elect Parm Bains". Richmond News.
- "Paramvir Bains". Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 2 October 2021.
- "Liberals choose candidate for Steveston-Richmond East".
- "RCMP investigating death of South Asian political activist Rajinder Bhela". vancouversun. Retrieved 2022-06-04.
- "Liberal who flipped Richmond riding in 2021 got help from pro-China activists (with video)". Business in Vancouver. Retrieved 2023-02-18.
- "Election Night Results — Elections Canada". Elections Canada. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- Canada, Elections. "Final Election Expenses Limits for Candidates — 44th Canadian Federal Election". Elections Canada. Retrieved 11 December 2021.
- "Candidate Campaign Returns". Elections Canada. Retrieved 19 July 2022.