Parma Township, Michigan
Parma Township, Michigan
|• Total||36.4 sq mi (94.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.3 sq mi (94.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||951 ft (290 m)|
|• Density||75/sq mi (29.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626884|
- Devereaux was an unincorporated community in the township established in 1872.
Parma Township is in western Jackson County, bordered on its west side by Calhoun County. Interstate 94 passes through the township, with access from four exits. I-94 leads west 6 miles (10 km) to Albion and east 14 miles (23 km) to Jackson.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Parma Township has a total area of 36.4 square miles (94.3 km2), of which 36.3 square miles (94.0 km2) are land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km2), or 0.28%, are water. Most of the township drains west as part of the Kalamazoo River watershed, while the northeast part of the township is within the Grand River watershed.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,696 people, 943 households, and 742 families residing in the township. The population density was 74.2 per square mile (28.7/km²). There were 1,001 housing units at an average density of 27.6 per square mile (10.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.58% White, 3.64% African American, 0.85% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.74% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.93% of the population.
There were 943 households out of which 37.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.5% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.3% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 26.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $48,510, and the median income for a family was $53,315. Males had a median income of $37,361 versus $25,568 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,026. About 4.5% of families and 7.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.1% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Parma Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Parma township, Jackson County, Michigan". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Romig 1986, p. 155.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.