Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up Parnassus in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Mount Parnassus is a sacred mountain in central Greece, near Delphi. The name "Parnassus" in literature typically refers to its distinction as the home of poetry, literature and, by extension, learning.
Parnassus or Parnassos may also refer to:
Geography and derivates
- Parnassos (municipality), a former municipality in Phocis, Greece, named after Mount Parnassus
- Parnassos, the mythic son of the nymph Kleodora and the man Kleopompus, and namesake of the mountain and city
- Parnassus (see), a Roman town, former Catholic diocese and present Latin titular see in Cappadocia (Asia Minor)
- Mount Sutro, a hill in San Francisco, California, U.S. formerly named Mount Parnassus
- Parnassus, New Zealand, a town on the east coast of New Zealand's South Island
- Mount Parnassus (Colorado), a thirteener (a mountain that exceeds 13,000 feet)
- The Parnassus (1511), a painting by Raphael
- The Frieze of Parnassus (1860s), a frieze on the Albert Memorial
- Parnassus Boicus, a Bavarian learned society and its journal
- Parnassus: Poetry in Review (magazine), a literary magazine
- Parnassus (literary magazine), the literary arts magazine of Northern Essex Community College
- Parnassos, a Greek literary magazine (1877–1899) published by the Parnassos Literary Society in Athens, Greece
- Parnaso Español, "Spanish Parnassus: collection of selected poems from the most famous Spanish poets"
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, a 2009 film directed by Terry Gilliam
- Parnassus on Wheels (1917), a novel by Christopher Morley
- Parnassia, a plant genus also known as "Grass of Parnassus"
- Parnassia palustris, commonly called marsh grass of Parnassus, northern grass-of-Parnassus, or just grass-of-Parnassus, a species of the genus Parnassia
- Montparnasse, a hilly Paris neighbourhood where students in the 17th century came to recite poetry; they nicknamed it after "Mount Parnassus"
- Parnassius, a genus of butterfly
- Parnassianism, a 19th-century French literary movement
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Parnassus.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.