Parokya ni Edgar
|Parokya ni Edgar|
Parokya ni Edgar at a live performance in 2007
|Origin||Quezon City, Philippines|
Gab Chee Kee
|Past members||Vinci Montaner|
Parokya ni Edgar (lit: Edgar's Parish) is a Filipino band formed in 1993. The band is known for its original rock novelty songs and often satirical covers of popular songs both foreign and local. The band is adept at playing in various musical genres.
Parokya ni Edgar has been referred to by local media as "Pambansang Banda ng Pilipinas" (The National Band of the Philippines).
Despite having "Edgar" in the band's name, none of the members are named Edgar.
- 1 History
- 2 Activism
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Other media
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Formation and early years
Originally named Comic Relief, the band's initial members were a group of high school students composed of vocalists Chito Miranda, Jeric Estaco, and Vinci Montaner, along with guitarists Mikko Yap and Gab Chee Kee, all hailing from Ateneo de Manila University. They were regulars in after-school jam sessions, before performing an opening number for an Eraserheads concert. This served as their break in the music industry and prompted them to add a drummer and bassist – schoolmate Dindin Moreno and Buwi Meneses, respectively. Around the same time they changed the band's name to Parokya ni Edgar. After high school, Mikko and Jeric withdrew from the band to pursue other interests. Soon after, the remaining band members invited their friend Darius Semaña to take the role of lead guitar.
The band name's origin had been a subject of debate among fans as the band members had never given full confirmation. It was not until 2013 that Chito Miranda officially addressed it through a post on their Facebook page. The title "Parokya Ni Edgar" came from a joke a classmate named Bambi Cuna made during one of their high school classes. Sources state that the class subject was Filipino. When the teacher asked Cuna where Jose Rizal's fictional hero, Crisostomo Ibarra (in the novel Noli Me Tangere) was educated, it was said that Cuna made up a daft answer, "sa Parokya ni Edgar". Then vocalist Jeric Estaco decided on impromptu to introduce the band as "Parokya ni Edgar" in their first live performance. From there, the band name just stuck.
By the late 1990s, PNE became regular performers in Club Dredd, a popular club in Manila at the time. The band slowly gained popularity during the height of the Filipino rock explosion, with the local rock community welcoming the influence of foreign grunge acts such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.
Eventually, the late managing director of Universal Records, Bella Dy Tan, signed them as contract artists after witnessing one of their Club Dredd performances.
Soon, their initial recordings "Buloy", "Trip (Siopao Na Special)" and "Lutong Bahay (Cooking Ng Ina Mo)" gained radio airplay. Their first album, Khangkhungkherrnitz(1996) became a triple platinum hit in the Philippines, having sold 120,000 units. The next albums were equal successes - Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1997) was awarded triple platinum, Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (1998) with gold, and Gulong Itlog Gulong (1999) with triple platinum.
After a 5-year break, they released their junior studio album Edgar Edgar Musikahan in 2002. This included the single "Halaga", one of the most popular songs in their career. "Halaga" was such a hit in the country that it further boosted PNE's career, cementing their name into OPM history.
In 2003 they released the studio album Bigotilyo, with the main single "Mr. Suave". "Mr. Suave" proved to be just as popular as its predecessors and stayed on the music charts for more than a year. The song became so popular in the Philippines that a few commercials and political campaigns borrowed stanzas from it.
2004 was the year of release of Inuman Sessions Vol. 1, PNE's first compilation DVD album celebrating their 11th year anniversary. The DVD showcased the band's prerecorded live studio performance of their hit songs to a selected audience. The DVD album met success in sales nationwide.
They released their 8th studio album, Middle-Aged Juvenile Novelty Pop Rockers in 2010 with the single "Paki-usap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)". The album was met with moderate success in both charts and sales.
The following year, PNE released their 2nd compilation DVD album Inuman Sessions Vol. 2 - a follow up to their Inuman Sessions Vol. 1. Later that same year, Montaner officially left the band on good terms with both the members and crew.
2013 marked PNE's 20th anniversary in the OPM industry. The band launched their 13th album Bente as commemoration, and as this was a milestone, Vinci Montaner temporarily reunited with the band for the album's cover art and signings.
In 2014, PNE was awarded with the MYX Magna Award for their artistic contribution to OPM Rock History. They are the 2nd OPM Rock Band to receive this award after Eraserheads in 2009.
All throughout 2015, the band toured selected cities in the United States; they headlined at the Landmark Loews Theater in Jersey City, New Jersey on March 21, 2015. That same year, the band began recording for their next album due for a 2016 release date. It will contain the tracks "Sing" and "Lagi Mong Tatandaan", the former featuring Rico Blanco.
Parokya joined PETA's Free Mali campaign in 2013. "Mali has been sentenced to a miserable life of solitary confinement with absolutely nothing to do day after day, year after year,' says lead vocalist Chito Miranda. 'Scientists, politicians, religious leaders, and tens of thousands of other concerned people have joined PETA in calling for Mali to be freed. We in Parokya ni Edgar do, too. Even if the elephant exhibit at the Manila Zoo were to be doubled or tripled in size, it would still not be adequate to house one elephant, never mind additional ones. While zoos around the world have spent upwards of 2 billion pesos on attempts at more appropriately sized elephant exhibits, more and more zoos have recognized that the needs of these complex and intelligent animals cannot be met in captivity.
- Current members
- Chito Miranda – lead vocals (1993–present)
- Buwi Meneses – bass guitar (1993–present)
- Darius Semaña – lead guitar (1993–present)
- Gab Chee Kee – rhythm guitar, vocals (1993-present)
- Dindin Moreno – drums (1993–present)
- Former members
- Vinci Montaner – backup vocals, occasional percussion, monologue, live comic relief (1993–2012)
|“||– left the band due to personal reasons. He announced his departure on October 14, 2012, through the band's official page on Facebook. This marks the second time that Montaner left the group. Montaner temporarily left the band to attend school in 2005 and later rejoined them in the making of their album, "Solid", released in 2007. Montaner briefly reunited with the band in 2013 in a one night only appearance during the launching date of PNE's 13th album "Bente".||”|
- Khangkhungkherrnitz (1996)
- Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1997)
- Gulong Itlog Gulong (1999)
- Edgar, Edgar Musikahan (2002)
- Bigotilyo (2003)
- Halina Sa Parokya (2005)
- Solid (2007)
- Middle-Aged Juvenile Novelty Pop Rockers (2010)
- Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (1998)
- Matira Matibay: PG-13 (Singles 1994-2007) (2007)
- Bente (2013)
- Inuman Sessions Vol. 1 (2004)
- Inuman Sessions Vol. 2 (2012)
- Inuman Sessions VOL.1 DVD (2004)
- Matira Matibay: PG-13 ("Singles 1994-2007") DVD (2007)
- Inuman Sessions VOL.2 DVD (2012)
- Bente: Parokya Ni Edgar 20th Anniversary DVD (2013)
- Akustic Natin (Universal Records, 2004)
- Akustic Natin Vol. 2 (Universal Records, 2004)
- The Best of OPM Acoustic Hits (Universal Records, 2005)
- The Best of OPM Love Ballads (Universal Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Ako (Star Music, 2005)
- OPM Superstars Christmas (Universal Records, 2005)
- Superbands (Universal Records, 2005)
- Kami nAPO muna (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Gold Christmas Album (Universal Records, 2006)
- The Biggest OPM Hits of The Year SUPER (Universal Records, 2006)
- Bandang Pinoy, Lasang Hotdog (Sony Music Philippines, Repackaged 2006)
- Kami nAPO muna ulit (Universal Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Rewind (Star Music, 2007)
- Level Up: The Album (Star Music, 2007)
- OPM Platinum Christmas (Universal Records, 2007)
- Another Biggest OPM Hits of The Year SUPER 2 (Universal Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Vol. 3 (Star Music, 2007)
- Astig...The Biggest Band Hits (Universal Records, 2008)
- Harana: OPM's Biggest Hits In Guitar (Ivory Music, 2009)
- I-Star 15: The Best Of Alternative & Rock Songs (Star Music, 2010)
- OPM All Star Christmas (Universal Records, 2010)
- A Perfectly Acoustic Experience (PolyEast Records, 2011)
- Super OPM Hits (Universal Records, 2016)
- 1996: "Buloy"
- 1996: "Maniwala Ka Sana"
- 1997: "Silvertoes"
- 1997: "Sayang"
- 1997: "Harana"
- 1999: "Picha Pie"
- 1999: "Halaga"
- 1999: "Inuman Na"
- 1999: "Wag Mo Na Sana" (a cover of Frasco's "Oo na Mahal na Kung Mahal Kita")
- 2002: "Swimming Beach"
- 2002: "Sorry Na"
- 2002: "This Guy's In Love With You Pare" (a song finalist of Himig Handog 2002)
- 2002: "Beh! Buti Nga!" (cover of the Hotdog song)
- 2003: "Mr. Suave"
- 2003: "The Yes Yes Show"
- 2004: "Chikinini"
- 2004: "Your Song (My One and Only You)"
- 2005: "First Day Funk" (commercial ad jingle for Rexona)
- 2005: "Mang Jose"
- 2005: "Bagsakan" (feat. Francis M and Gloc-9)
- 2005: "Para Sa 'Yo"
- 2005: "Papa Cologne"
- 2005: "The Ordertaker"
- 2005: "Gitara"
- 2006: "Pumapatak ang Ulan" (cover of the APO Hiking Society song)
- 2007: "American Junk" (feat. Kamikazee) (cover of the APO Hiking Society song)
- 2007: "Nescafe" (commercial ad jingle for Nescafe)
- 2007: "Macho"
- 2007: "Boys Do Falling Love" (cover of the Robin Gibb song)
- 2007: "Lastikman" (TV theme song for the same title)
- 2008: "Akala"
- 2008: "Reunion" (an alternate version was used as a commercial ad jingle for Jollibee with the title "Iisang Sarap")
- 2010: "I-Bulsarap!" (commercial ad jingle for Mang Tomas All-Around Sarsa)
- 2010: "Panday Kids" (TV theme song for the same title)
- 2010: "Pakiusap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)"
- 2012: "Pangarap Lang Kita" (feat. Happee Sy)
- 2013: "One Hit Combo" (feat. Gloc-9)
- 2013: "Ang Parokya" (feat. Gloc-9)
- 2014: "Salamat Po"
- 2015: "Sing" (feat. Rico Blanco)
- 2015: "Lagi Mong Tatandaan"
Parodies and samples
Parokya ni Edgar is also known for parodying songs of famous singers and bands.
- "Trip" - "Creep" by Radiohead
- "Alimango" - "Animal" by Pearl Jam
- "The Crush (Bakit Ang Pangit Pangit Mo?)" - "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash
- "Papa Cologne" - interpolates "Lança Perfume" by Rita Lee
- "Picha Pie" - "I Will Survive" by Cake (originally by Gloria Gaynor)
- "Chikinini" - "Banal Na Aso, Santong Kabayo" by Yano
- "Nakaw ang Wallet Ko" - "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Guns N' Roses (originally by Bob Dylan)
- "The Ordertaker" - a mashup of "Chop Suey" and "Toxicity" by System of a Down
- "Macho" - "Macho Man" by Village People
- "Tange" - "The Popeye Theme"
- "Celfone Wallet" from the "Seiko Wallet Jingle" by Bing Rodrigo
- "Pedro, Basura Man" - "The Popeye Theme"
- "Bagsakan" - interpolates "Pollux Diving" by Keltscross and the Contra theme song from Base I (Stage 2) and II (Stage 4)
Awards and nominations
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "Don't Touch My Birdie" (1999)
- Won: Best TV Theme Song - "!Oka Tokat" (1999)
- Won: Best Alternative Recording - "Inuman Na" (2000)
- Won: Best Album Package - Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2003)
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "This Guy's In Love With You Pare" (2003)
- Won: Best Performance By a Duo or Group Recording Artist - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Record of the Year -"Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Music Video Performance - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Best Rap Recording - "The Yes Yes Show" (2004)
- Won: Best Ballad Recording - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (Feat. Happy Sy) (2011)
- Won: Best Collaboration - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (Feat. Happy Sy) (2011)
- Won: Best Performance By A Group - "Paki-usap Lang" (2011)
- Won: Best Song Of The Year - "Paki-usap Lang" (2011)
- Nominated: Album of the Year - Khangkhungkherrnitz (1996)
- Nominated: Best New Group (1996)
- Nominated: Best Rock Performance (1996)
- Nominated: Best Soundtrack - "Lastikman (Walang Susuko)" from Lastikman (2008)
- Won: Best New Artist (1996) Best New Artist (1996)
- Won: Best Live Act (1996)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Don't Touch My Birdie" (1998)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1998)
- Won: Artist of the Year (1999)
- Won: Bassist of the Year - Buhawi Meneses (1999)
- Won: Artist of the Year (2000)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2002)
- Won: Artist of the Year (2003)
- Won: Favorite Artist Philippines (2004)
- Won: International Viewer's Choice Award for MTV Southeast Asia - "Harana" (1999)
- Won: MYX Magna Award 2014
- Won: Favorite Group (2014)
- Won: Favorite MYX Live! Performance (2012)
- Won: Favorite Guest Appearance in a Music Video for JM De Guzman "Pangarap Lang Kita"
- Won: Favorite Collaboration - "One Hit Combo" (feat. Gloc9) (2012)
- Won: Favorite Artist (2012)
- Won: Favorite Song - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (feat. Happee Sy) (2012)
- Won: Favorite Group (2012)
- Won: Favorite Group (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite Song- "Pakiusap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)" (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite Remake - "Macho" (2009)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (2008)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Music Video - "The Ordertaker" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Collaboration - "The Ordertaker" w/ Kamikazee (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Music Video - "Mang Jose" (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Music Video - "Mang Jose" (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Live Performance - (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Media Soundtrack - "First Day Funk" (2006)
- Won: Band Of The Year (2012 & 2014)
DWLS FM (now Barangay LS 97.1)
- Won: New OPM Artist of The Year (1996)
1st Philippine Radio Music Awards
- Won: Best Alternative Group (2009)
- Nominated: Favorite Musical Act (2008)
1st M.O.R. 101.9 Music Awards
- Won: M.O.R. Rock Icon Award (2014)
- Nominated: Best Rock Band (2008)
- Nominated: Best Song Revival - "Boys Do Fall In Love" (2008)
- Nominated: Favorite Vocalist - Chito Miranda (2008)
- Nominated: Best Favorite Band of The Year (2008)
- Nominated: Best Pop Band (2007)
- Nominated: Best Pop Band (2008)
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Mang Tomas
- Mountain Dew
- Rexona Deodorant
- San Miguel Beer
- Tanduay Rhum
- Touch Mobile
Magazine cover appearances
- MYX Magazine (2007–present)
- Banda Magazine (2005–present)
- Pulp Magazine (2000–present)
- "Parokya Ni Edgar Pinoy Banda Page | Free | Downloads | Streaming Videos | Layouts". Pinoybanda.com. 2007-06-04. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Parokya Ni Edgar - Wow! Celebrities". Celebritiesph.com. 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- EventBrite website, accessed march 10, 2015.
- "Vinci Montaner leaves Parokya Ni Edgar". Radio Republic. October 14, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "Maniwala Ka Sana lyrics". lyriczz.com. May 7, 2014.
- "42nd Box-Office Entertainment Awards honors outstanding actors and actresses of 2010". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Vice Ganda named Phenomenal Box-Office Star; Derek Ramsay is Box-Office King while Anne Curtis and Cristine Reyes share Box-Office Queen title". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist