Location of Parole, Maryland
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||11.8 sq mi (30.6 km2)|
|• Land||10.3 sq mi (26.6 km2)|
|• Water||1.5 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|Elevation||69 ft (21 m)|
|• Density||1,550/sq mi (598.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0590979|
Parole, a suburb of Annapolis, is a census-designated place (CDP) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. The population was 15,922 at the 2010 census. It is where several major roads intersect at the western edge of the state capital, Annapolis, and adjacent to the Annapolis Mall shopping center and Anne Arundel Medical Center. The neighborhood was named because it was a parole camp, where Union and Confederate prisoners of war were brought for mutual exchange and eventual return to their respective homes.
Parole is located at  It is bordered to the southeast by the city of Annapolis and by the CDP of Annapolis Neck. To the northeast is the Severn River, with the Arnold CDP on the other side. To the southwest is the South River, with the CDP of Riva on the other side.(38.991657, -76.548450).
U.S. Route 50 is a six-to-eight-lane expressway that runs through the community, leading west to Washington, D.C. and east to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Maryland's Eastern Shore. The highway intersects Interstate 97, which leads north to Baltimore, along the northern edge of the CDP.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 11.8 square miles (30.6 km2), of which 10.3 square miles (26.6 km2) is land and 1.5 square miles (4.0 km2), or 13.20%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,031 people, 6,645 households, and 3,707 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,364.4 people per square mile (527.0/km²). There were 6,946 housing units at an average density of 675.4/sq mi (260.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 90.36% White, 6.49% African American, 0.21% Native American, 1.53% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 0.98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.56% of the population.
There were 6,645 households out of which 14.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.7% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.2% were non-families. 37.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.96 and the average family size was 2.54.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 12.2% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 27.6% from 45 to 64, and 27.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 93.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $67,479, and the median income for a family was $82,988. Males had a median income of $60,601 versus $43,610 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $39,102. About 0.2% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.0% of those under age 18 and 3.5% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Parole CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Fuchs, Tom (October 9, 2007). "Camp Parole". Historical Marker Database.
- "Annapolis National Cemetery" (PDF). United States Department of Veterans Affairs. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Block Map Parole CDP, Md." (Archived 2012-10-06 at WebCite) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 6, 2012.
- "Home." Maryland Department of Agriculture. Retrieved on October 6, 2012. "50 Harry S. Truman Pkwy, Annapolis, MD 21401 "
- "Fast Facts 1395/57 (Rev. 5/12)." Anne Arundel County Public Schools. Retrieved on October 6, 2012. "2644 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD 21401"
- "2010 Census Block Map Parole CDP, Md. No. 4." (Archived 2012-10-06 at WebCite) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 6, 2012.
- "Rolling Knolls Elementary School." Anne Arundel County Public Schools. Retrieved on October 6, 2012. "1985 Valley Road Annapolis, MD 21401"
- "Annapolis High School." Anne Arundel County Public Schools. Retrieved on October 6, 2012. "2700 Riva Road Annapolis, MD 21401"
- "Library Headquarters." Anne Arundel County Public Library. Retrieved on October 6, 2012. "5 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401"