Parov Stelar in March 2015, photographed by Stefan Sappert
|Birth name||Marcus Füreder|
|Also known as||
|Born||November 27, 1974|
|Labels||Etage Noir Recordings|
Marcus Füreder (born November 27, 1974 in Linz, Upper Austria) better known by his stage name Parov Stelar, is an Austrian musician, producer and DJ. His musical style is based in a combination of jazz, house, electro and breakbeat. He is known as one of the pioneers of electro swing.
Marcus Füreder first appeared as a DJ at nightclubs during the mid-late 1990s. He got involved in producing and publishing in 2000. Having released his first maxi singles on Bushido (still using his real name and his stage name Plasma), Füreder founded the record label Etage Noir Recordings in 2003. A year later, now with the stage name Parov Stelar, the EP Kiss Kiss was immediately picked up by the influential Austrian radio station FM4. KissKiss, soon followed by the LP Rough Cuts, provided him with a breakthrough on the international electronic music scene.
Parov Stelar was among the first who produced electronic swing music in Europe. With his album Shine the BBC named Parov Stelar as one of the most promising producers active in Europe today. His specific approach to music production, combined with a proven sense of sound aesthetics, led to a reaction from audiences and colleagues all around the world, giving him a reputation as the founder of a new genre: Electro Swing.
In November 2005 Parov Stelar had his first appearance together with a Live-Band. This kick-started a concert series in various European cities and prompted appearances at music festivals like Glastonbury, Eurockéennes, Rock Werchter, Solidays and Zurich Open Air as well as performances in Istanbul and Mexico City. The cast varies from the Parov Stelar Trio up to the full cast of the Parov Stelar Band consisting of Parov Stelar (Programming), Cleo Panther (Vocals), Marc Osterer (Trumpet), Max the Sax (Saxophone), Willie Larsson Jr. (Drums) and Michael Wittner (Bass).
He won three Amadeus Austrian Music Awards in 2013 (Best Live Act, Best Electronic Act, Best Album), one in 2012 (Best Electronic Act), one in 2014 (Best Live Act) and one in 2015 (Best Electronic Act). Parov Stelar worked with Lana Del Rey, Bryan Ferry and Lady Gaga. He released six albums, more than twenty EPs and sold more than 250,000 albums independently. The track Booty Swing reached top chart positions in the electronic US and Canadian iTunes charts. Booty Swing samples a 1938 song by Lil Hardin Armstrong called Oriental Swing.
His tracks have been used on hundreds of compilations worldwide as well as in TV shows, TV series, movies and advertising spots which brought him international recognition. The video clips using his music count over 100 million views by now. A performance by Australian-based Canadian dancer "takeSomeCrime" to the electroswing track Catgroove has over 25 million views on YouTube.
|Year||Album||Details||Peak chart positions|
|2001||Shadow Kingdom||2×12" Vinyl & CD, Bushido Recordings, as Plasma||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004||Rough Cuts||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005||Seven and Storm||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007||Shine||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008||Daylight||CD, Rambling Records||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009||That Swing – Best Of||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009||Coco||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||65||—||—||10||—||—|
|2010||The Paris Swing Box||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010||Le Piaf||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012||The Princess||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||4||—||35||8||86||9|
|2013||The Invisible Girl
(Parov Stelar Trio)
|CD, Etage Noir Recordings||18||—||—||4||—||40|
|2013||The Art of Sampling||2 CDs, 2 LPs, CD, DD Etage Noir Recordings, Island Records, Universal Music Germany||6||117||35||—||—||27|
|2015||The Demon Diaries||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||1||93||8||—||—||9|
- 2001: Shadow Kingdom EP (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Plasma)
- 2002: Lo Tech Trash (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2004: KissKiss (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2004: Move On! (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2004: Wanna Get (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2004: Primavera (12" Vinyl, Auris Recordings)
- 2005: Music I Believe In (12" Vinyl, ~Temp Records, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2005: A Night in Torino (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2005: Spygame (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2006: Parov Stelar EP (12" Vinyl, Big Sur)
- 2006: Charleston Butterfly (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2007: Jet Set EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Special)
- 2007: Sugar (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2008: The Flame of Fame (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2008: Libella Swing (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2009: Coco EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2010: The Phantom EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2010: The Paris Swingbox EP (Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2011: La Fête EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2012: Jimmy's Gang EP (Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2014: Clap Your Hands (Etage Noir Recordings)
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album / EP|
|2010||"The Phantom"||69||—||—||—||The Phantom EP|
|2012||"Jimmy's Gang"||43||—||—||—||Jimmy's Gang EP|
(feat. Cleo Panther)
|2013||"Keep on Dancing"
(feat. Marvin Gaye)
|"Clap Your Hands"||52||—||—||—||Clap Your Hands|
(feat. Graham Candy)
|31||110||—||—||The Sun EP|
|2015||"Hooked on You"
(feat. Timothy Auld)
- Other singles
- 2000: "Synthetica/Stompin' Ground" (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2001: "Guerrilla" (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2004: "Get Up on Your Feet" (12" Vinyl, Sunshine Enterprises)
- 2005: "Faith" (Maxi-CD, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2007: "Rock For/Love" (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2007: "Shine" (Maxi-CD, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2013: "The Mojo Radio Gang"
Use in popular culture
- In 2014 the song "Catgroove" was used in a TV commercial for the Belgian telecom operator Proximus
- Weinberger, Bibiane (2012). "The Pioneer of Electro-Swing: Parov Stelar". musicexport.at. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- Seibold, Ulrike (2012). "Parov Stelar: Extravaganz ale Genuss". faz.net. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- "Parov Stelar Release New Single". Rhythm & Booze. 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- "Parov Stelar Band / new album for spring 2012". electro-swing.com. 2011-08-27. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- White, Chris (2008). "Parov Stelar Shine Review". BBC Music. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- Bondy, Halley (2012-11-12). "Parov Stelar Goes Beyond "Electro Swing"". MTV Iggy. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- Schokarth, Brigitte (2013). "Triumph für Parov Stelar". Kurier. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- "Parov Stelar - The Princess - DJ DemonAngel & Siouxxx aka DJ HighKik". Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- "PA 1938 song by Louis Armstrong’s wife could put a hitch in GM’s China expansion plans". Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- Reiterer, Kevin (2012). "Swing Kid". the gap.at. Retrieved 2014-10-10.
- Parov Stelar - Catgroove (TSC - Forsythe) on YouTube
- Parov Stelar in Austrian charts:
- Discographie Parov Stelar (in French). lescharts.com. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- Suche nach "Parov Stelar" (album) (in German). charts.de. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Parov Stelar in Greek charts:
- Discografie Parov Stelar (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Parov Stelar in Swiss charts:
- TV commercial (video) featering Catgroove
- Official website
- Parov Stelar at Discogs
- BBC music's review of his album Shine
- Article in Rhythm and Booze Magazine