Parrot Security OS
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer||Lorenzo Faletra, Lisetta Ferrero, Francesco Bonanno, Frozenbox network|
|OS family||POSIX based on Debian|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||10 April 2013|
|Latest release||4.1 / June 4, 2018|
|Update method||Rolling Release|
|Platforms||i386 (x86), amd64 (x86-64), ARM|
|Default user interface||MATE Desktop Environment|
|License||Free software, mainly the GNU GPL|
Parrot Security OS (or ParrotSec) is a Linux distribution based on Debian with a focus on computer security. It is designed for penetration testing, vulnerability assessment and mitigation, computer forensics and anonymous web browsing. It is developed by the Frozenbox Team.
ParrotSec is intended to provide a suite of penetration testing tools to be used for attack mitigation, security research, forensics, and vulnerability assessment.
The project is certified to run on devices which have a minimum of 256MB of RAM, and it is suitable for both 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit (amd64) processor architectures. Moreover, the project is available for ARMv7 (armhf) architectures. It even offers an edition (both 32-bit and 64-bit) developed specifically for servers to carry out cloud service penetration testing.
Parrot Home is a special edition of Parrot designed for daily use, and it targets regular users who need a lightweight, always updated and beautiful system on their laptops or workstations. Parrot OS Commands PDF The distribution has the same look and feel of a regular Parrot environment and includes all the basic programs for daily work. Parrot Lite also includes programs to chat privately with people, encrypt documents with the highest cryptographic standards or surf the net in a completely anonymous and secure way.
The system can also be used as a starting point to build a very customized pentesting platform with only the tools you need, or you can use it to build your professional workstation by taking advantage of all the latest and most powerful technologies of Debian without hassle.
Designed for students, producers, video editing and all related professional multi-media creation. This edition's goals are to provide a reliable workstation for a multi-purpose computing.
A lightweight Parrot release for embedded systems, aimed for simplicity and portability. Supported hardware brands are Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Pine64, and Cubieboard.
The development team has not specified any official release timeline, but based on release changelogs and the notes included in the official review of the distribution, the project will be released on a monthly basis.
|2013-06-10||The project was started|
|2014-06-25||Parrot 0.9||Final beta|
|2014-09-02||Parrot 1.1||Asphalt Dragon|
|2014-09-11||Parrot 1.2||Asphalt Dragon|
- Prabhu, Vijay (15 October 2016). "Parrot Security 3.2 "CyberSloop" Ethical Hacking OS With Linux Kernel 4.7 Released". Techworm.net. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Parrot Security Could Be Your Next Security Tool". Linux.com | The source for Linux information. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- DistroWatch. "DistroWatch.com: Parrot Security OS". distrowatch.com. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- Adarsh Verma (30 May 2016). "Parrot Security OS 3.0 "Lithium" — Best Kali line Alternative Coming With New Features". fossBytes. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Downloads Page". Parrot Security. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Marius Nestor (11 June 2017). "Parrot Security OS Ethical Hacking Distro Considers Ditching Debian for Devuan; systemd could be the main reason for this decision". Softpedia. Retrieved 21 June 2017.