Parsons Green tube station
Location of Parsons Green in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Parsons Green is a London Underground station on the Wimbledon branch of the District line. It is between Fulham Broadway and Putney Bridge stations and is in Zone 2. The station is located on Parsons Green a short distance north of the green itself. The station is about half way between Fulham Road (A304) and New Kings Road (A308). The station was previously a train-operator depot, until functions were transferred to Earl's Court.
Designed by a Mr Clemence under the supervision of John Wolfe-Barry the station was opened on 1 March 1880 when the District Railway (DR, now the District line) extended its line south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge.
Parsons Green is an intermediate terminating point for both District line services. Below are the seven sidings explained:
- Two sidings east of the station:
- One is only accessible from the eastbound running line, and can accommodate two D or two S Stock trains
- The second is only accessible from the westbound running line and can accommodate one D or one S Stock train
- Five sidings west of the station:
- Two sidings west of the eastbound platform. These are accessible from the westbound platform and accommodate one D or S Stock train
- Two sidings west of the westbound, also accessible from the westbound platform.
- There is a siding just behind the westbound platform, which could only fit a C Stock train. As C Stock trains are no longer in use on the system, this siding is out of commission.
Parsons Green was a proposed stop on the Chelsea-Hackney Line. Known now as Crossrail 2. It would have either supplemented or replaced the existing District line service on much of the Wimbledon Branch.
North of the station, the line would have branched off into a new tunneled section that could carry it into Victoria station, via a new station on the Kings Road, Chelsea station. Crossrail 2 will be built to National Rail standards and will go to Wimbledon via Clapham Junction instead. The route was safeguarded in 1991 and again in 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parsons Green tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|