|Single by Elton John|
|from the album A Single Man|
|B-side||"I Cry at Night"|
|Released||4 October 1978|
|Genre||Pop rock, disco|
|Songwriter(s)||Elton John, Gary Osborne|
|Producer(s)||Elton John, Clive Franks|
|Elton John singles chronology|
International single sleeve
"Part-Time Love" is a song written by Elton John with lyrics by Gary Osborne. It is the sixth track off his 1978 album, A Single Man. It is also the opening track of side two. It proved to be one of the most popular singles the pair wrote, along with 1982's "Blue Eyes" and the 1980 US million seller "Little Jeannie". It was banned in the Soviet release of the album along with another song, "Big Dipper". The single reached #15 in the UK and peaked just outside the Top 20 in the U.S. at #21.
In the 29 September 1979 edition of the Ann Landers advice column, one writer going by the title "Want A Better Environment For Our Youth" alleged that these lyrics of this song dealt with adultery: "You've been seen running around...Don't tell me what to do when you've been doing it too."
The song appeared on his compilation The Very Best of Elton John in 1990. While the lyrics on the A-side were written by Gary Osborne, those on the B-side, "I Cry at Night", were written by Bernie Taupin. It is one of the few singles John released with different lyricists on each side.
- Elton John - piano, vocals
- Tim Renwick - guitars
- Clive Franks - bass
- Steve Holly - drums
- Ray Cooper - percussion
- Vicki Brown - backing vocals
- Joanne Stone - backing vocals
- Stevie Lange - backing vocals
- Gary Osborne - backing vocals
- Chris Thompson - backing vocals
- Davey Johnstone - backing vocals, lead guitar
- Paul Buckmaster - orchestral arrangement
- Landers, Ann (September 29, 1979). "Some Rock Lyrics Are Offensive". The Dispatch (Lexington, N.C.). p. 6. Some newspapers published this column on October 1.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on June 2, 2016. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2015-06-08. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Part-Time Love". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1978-12-24. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Cash Box Top 100 12/30/78". 184.108.40.206. 1978-12-30. Archived from the original on 2014-12-20. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.