||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as its only attribution is to self-published sources; articles should not be based solely on such sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Occupation||Physicist, author, anchorperson|
Partha Ghose, (born 1939), FNASc, is an Indian physicist, author, philosopher, musician and former Professor at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata. He is the former Chairman of Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata and The Telegraph Education Foundation.
Partha Ghose is one of India’s best known popularizers of modern science. He has written influential papers and books on physics as well as popular books on science. He was an anchorperson in the popular Indian TV shows Quest and Eureka. He has directed plays and appeared in media programmes and films including the National Award-winning film ‘The Quantum Indians', which is about great Indian scientists Satyendranath Bose, C. V. Raman and Meghnad Saha.
Partha Ghose received the National Award for the Best Science and Technology coverage in the Mass Media of the National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) for the period 1986–1990. He was also awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for the popularization of science by the Indian National Science Academy.
He is best known in the physics world for his significant contributions to theoretical physics, particularly the foundations of quantum mechanics.
(i) His paper in collaboration with D. Home and G. S. Agarwal (the GHA experiment) in unraveling the nature of wave–particle duality in single-photon experiments led to its experimental verification by Y. Mizobuchi and Y. Ohtake in Japan and later by M. Genovese and collaborators in Italy. This work has been widely referred to and has found place even in popular texts.,
(iii) He has also made a pioneering contribution by showing that ‘entanglement’ can occur in classical polarization optics resulting in violations of Bell-like inequalities hitherto believed to be exclusive to quantum systems. This has led to many investigations and experiments confirming such violations and consequently to a shifting of the boundary between quantum and classical physics.
Ghose’s exposition of Rabindranath Tagore’s philosophy and music has found expression in several scholarly papers and CDs, He served as the Hon. Secretary of the Visva-Bharati Music Board for a few years. He received training in Rabindra Sangeet under veterans like Debabrata Biswas and Santidev Ghosh (a direct disciple of Tagore).
He also served as a member of the Working Group on National Language Policy, Knowledge Commission, Govt of India.
- P. Ghose, Testing Quantum Mechanics on New Ground, Cambridge University Press, UK, April 1999."
- P. Ghose and D. Home, Riddles in Your Tea Cup, Rupa & Co., 1990, Adam Hilger, UK, Sept 1994. The book has been published in several Indian languages, Italian, Japanese and Turkish.
- P. Ghose, Solar Eclipse : The Celestial Diamond’, Harper-Collins of India, 1996.
- P. Ghose, D. Home and G. S. Agarwal, ‘An Experiment to Throw More Light on Light’, Physics Letters. A vol. 153, 403-406 (1991).
- Y. Mizobuchi & Y. Ohtake, ‘An "experiment to throw more light on light" ’, Physics Letters A, vol. 168, pp. 1-5 (1992).
- G. Brida, M. Genovese, M. Gramegna and E. Predazi, ‘A conclusive experiment to throw more light on "light" ’, Physics Letters A, vol. 328, pp. 313-318 (2004).
- G. Venkataraman, Quantum Revolution: What is Reality, Vignettes in Physics, Sangam Books, 1994.
- John Gribbin, Schrődinger’s Kittens and the Search for Reality, Phoenix Paperback, 1996.
- P. Ghose, A. S. Majumdar, S. Guha and J. Sau, ‘Bohmian trajectories for photons’, Physics. Letters A vol. 290, pp. 205-213 (2001).
- Sacha Kocsis, Sylvain Ravets, Boris Braverman, Kris-ter Shalm, Aephraim M. Steinberg: ‘Observing the trajectories of a single photon using weak measurement’, Science 3, June 2011, vol. 332 no. 6034, pp. 1170–1173, doi: 10.1126/science.1202218 ( abstract)
- P. Ghose and M. K. Samal, ‘EPR Type Nonlocality in Classical Electrodynamics!’,arXiv: [quant-ph]/0111119, 22 November 2001.
- P. Ghose and A. Mukherjee, ‘Entanglement in Classical Optics’, Reviews in Theoretical Science vol. 2, pp. 1-14 (2014).
- Xiao-Feng Qian, Bethany Little, John C. Howell, and J.H. Eberly, ‘Shifting the Quantum-Classical Boundary: Theory and Experiment for Statistically Classical Optical Fields’, arXiv: 1506.01305 [quant-ph] 25 June 2015.
- Tradition and Creativity in Tagore Songs, INRECO(based on extensive research by Dr. Ghose and enriched by his commentaries) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5tIwPXVfE
- Tagore in Symphony: The Seasons of India, Saregama-HMV(music selection and direction by Dr. Ghose who also conducted the orchestra)https://itunes.apple.com/in/album/tagores-in-symphony-seasons/id841098918
- Mamo Chittay Keje Naache (with Soumitra Chatterjee and Mohan Singh), Saregama-HMV http://gaana.com/album/mamo-chitte-ke-je-nache
- Some recent papers on Physics
- P. Ghose, D. Home and G. S. Agarwal, 1991, "An Experiment to Throw More Light on Light", Phys. Lett. A 153, 403-406.
- P. Ghose and D. Home, 1991, "Manifestly Lorentz Covariant Formulation of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Problem Using the Tomonaga-Schwinger Formalism", Phys. Rev. A 43, 6382-6385.
- P. Ghose, D. Home and G. S. Agarwal, 1992, "An Experiment to Throw More Light on Light: Implications", Phys. Lett. A 168, 95-99.
- P. Ghose and D. Home, 1992, "Wave–Particle Duality of Single-Photon States", invited contribution to the special issue of Foundations of Physics on the occasion of L. de Broglie’s birth centenary, 22, 1435-14.
- P. Ghose, D. Home, 1994, "On Boson Trajectories in the Bohm Model", Phys. Lett. A 191, 362-364.
- P. Ghose & D. Home, 1996, "The Two-Prism Experiment and Wave Particle Duality of Light", Found. of Phys. 26, 943.
- P. Ghose, 1996, "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics of Spin-0 and Spin-1 Bosons", Found. of Phys. 26, 1441.
- P. Ghose and M. K. Samal, 2001, "Lorentz-invariant superluminal tunneling", Phys. Rev. E 64, 036620-1-7.
- P. Ghose, 2002, "Continuous Transition Between Quantum and Classical Mechanics I", Found. of Phys. 32, 871-892.
- P. Ghose and M. K. Samal, 2002, "Continuous Transition Between Quantum and Classical Mechanics II", Found. of Phys. 32, 893-906.
- P. Ghose, 2009, "On Entangled Multi-Particle Systems in Bohmian Theory", Advanced Science Letters 2, 97-99.
- P. Ghose, 2009, "The Central Mystery of Quantum Mechanics", Neuroquantology 7, 623-634.
- P. Ghose, 2010, "A Simple "Quantum Interrogation" Method", Advanced Science Letters. 3, 93–95 (American Scientific Publishers).
- P. Ghose, 2012, "Does Measurement Necessarily Destroy Coherence?", Advanced Science Letters 18, 73-76.
- P. Ghose and A. Mukherjee, 2014, "Novel States of Classical Light and Noncontextuality", Adv. Sc., Eng. and Med. 6, 246-251.
- P. Ghose and A. Mukherjee, 2014, "Entanglement in Classical Optics", Rev. in Theoret. Sc. 2, 1-14.
- P. Ghose, 2015, "The Unfinished Search for Wave–Particle and Classical-Quantum Harmony", J. of Adv. Phys. special issue on Tests of the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, to appear; arxiv: 1502.03208 [quant-ph] Feb 2015.
- A. K. Rajagopal and P. Ghose, 2015, "Hilbert Space Structure of Classical Electrodynamics", to be published in Pramana—Journal of Physics.
- Papers on the History of Science
- P. Ghose, 1989, "Calcutta, the Cradle of Science and Technology in India", Souvenir of the 22nd Annual Conference, India Pharmacol. Soc., Calcutta, 17-20.
- P. Ghose, 1990, "Scientific Studies in Calcutta : The Colonial Period’’ in "Calcutta: The Living City", Vol. I, ed. S. Chaudhuri (Oxford University Press, Calcutta), 195-202.
- P. Ghose, 1990, "Scientific Research in Twentieth Century Calcutta", in "Calcutta: The Living City", Vol. 11, ed. S. Chaudhuri (Oxford University Press, Calcutta), 209-214.
- P. Ghose, 1994, "Bose Statistics: A Historical Perspective" in "S. N. Bose : The Man and his Work (Part 1), S.N.Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Calcutta, 35-71; reprinted in "Satyendra Nath Bose: His Life and Times", ed. Kameshwar Wali, World Scientific, 2009.
- P. Ghose, 2005, "S. N. Bose: The Man" in "Albert Einstein and S. N. Bose" based on the Proceedings of the Seminar on Albert Einstein and S. N. Bose, Dhaka, April 30 and May 1, ed. Dr. Anwar Hossain, Bangladesh Academy of Sciences and Goethe Institut, Bangladesh, 122-135; reprinted in "Satyendra Nath Bose: His Life and Times", ed. Kameshwar Wali, World Scientific, 2009.
- P. Ghose, 2013. ‘Satyendranath Bose’ in Introduction to History of Science in India, Ed. Prof. A. K. Sharma, The National Academy of Sciences, India and The Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, 40-54.
- Papers on Philosophy
- P. Ghose, 1990, "Syadvada", Appendix IVE in "History of Science & Technology in Ancient India (II). Formation of Theoretical Fundamentals of Natural Science", D. Chattopadhyay (Firma KLM Pvt. Ltd., 1990), 449-455.
- P. Ghose, 1995, "Syadvada, Relativity and Complemantarity" in "Language, Logic and Science in India", eds. D. P. Chattopadhyaya & Ravindra Kumar, PHISPC, New Delhi, 80-91.
- P. Ghose, 2004, "Is the Physical World Real and Deterministic?" in "Philosophical Consciousness and Scientific Knowledge: Conceptual Linkages and Civilizational Background", ed. D. P. Chattopadhyaya in association with A. K. Sen Gupta, PHISPC Vol XI, Part 1, Centre for Studies in Civilizations, New Delhi, 362-367.
- P. Ghose, 2009. "Man and Nature: An Indian World-View" in Nature and Culture. Ed. Roddam Narasimha and Sangeetha Menon, PHISPC Vol XIV, Part 1, Centre for Studies in Civilizations, New Delhi, 181-222.
- P. Ghose, 2009, "Buddhist Perspectives and Quantum Mechanics: Part I: A Prāsangika Madhyamaka Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics" and "Part II: Matter, Mind, Chance and Identity", Proceedings of the International Conference on Buddhism and Science, ed. Pabitra Roy, Central University for Tibetan Studies, Sarnath, Varanasi, October.
- P. Ghose, 2011, "What Is Reality: An Introduction to Tagore’s and Einstein’s Views On Reality and Causality", Journal of the Indian Council of Philosophical Research, XXVIII, No. 1 (Special Issue on Rabindranath Tagore), Eds. M. Miri and G. Biswas, pp. 25–61.
- P. Ghose 2013, "Science and Literature: A Study of Rabindranath Tagore’s Music" in Society, Representation and Textuality, The Critical Interface. Eds Sukalpa Bhattacharjee and C Joshua Thomas, New Delhi: Sage, Proceedings of the National Seminar on Society and Literature: Interdisciplinary Transactions, NEHU, Shillong, 16–18 March 2010, 3-12.
- P. Ghose 2013, "Classical Coherence, Life and Cognition" in Nature's Longest Threads: New Frontiers in the Mathematics and Physics of Information in Biology", Proceedings of the National Workshop on "Applications of Physics, Mathematics to Cognition and Consciousness" , NIAS, March 11–12, 2013, Eds. J. Balakrishnan and B.V. Sreekantan, to be published under the book series: "World Scientific Lecture Notes in Complex Systems".
- P. Ghose, 2014, "Towards Harmony", in Towards Tagore, Eds. Sanjukta Dasgupta, Ramkumar Mukhopadyay and Swati Ganguly, Visva-Bharati, Kolkata, 613-628.
- Books edited
- "Solitons and Nonlinear Systems", Proc. of the Seminar-cum-Workshop on Solitons and Nonlinear Systems, Calcutta, eds. D. K. Sinha and P. Ghose, South Asia Publishers, New Delhi, 1986.
- "Particle Phenomenology in the 1990s", Proc. of the Second International Workshop in High Energy Physics Phenomenology (WHEPP II), Calcutta, Jan. 1991, eds. A. Datta, P. Ghose and A. Raychaudhuri, World Scientific, Singapore, 1992.
- "CP Violation: 25 Years Since its Discovery", Proc. of a Topical Meeting to Celebrate 25 Years of the Discovery of CP Violation, Calcutta, Jan. 1990, eds. A. Datta, P. Ghose and A. Raychaudhuri, Wiley Eastern.
- "S. N. Bose : The Man and his Work" (Parts I & II) (eds. C. K. Majumder, P. Ghose, E. Chatterjee, S. Chatterjee & S. Bandyopadhyay), SNBNCBS, Calcutta, 1994.
- "Particle Physics & Cosmology at the Interface", BCSPIN-IOP-SNBNCBS Winter School Lecture Notes - Vol I, eds. J. C. Pati, P. Ghose & J. Maharana World Scientific, Singapore, 1995.
- "Highlights of Particle Phenomenology", Proc. of the Fourth Workshop in High Energy Physics Phenomenology (WHEPP IV), eds. A. Datta, P. Ghose and A. Raychaudhuri, Allied Publishers Ltd., 1997.
- "Materialism and Immaterialism in India and the West: Varying Vistas", PHISPC Vol XII, Part 5, Centre for Studies in Civilizations, New Delhi, 2010 (903 pages).
- "The Poet and the Scientist", a comprehensive account of the correspondence and dialogues between Rabindranath Tagore and Albert Einstein, their background and impact, to be published by Visva-Bharati, 2014.
- "Einstein, Tagore and the Nature of Reality", to be published by Taylor & Francis, London.
- Other books authored
- P. Ghose, "Visva Prakriti O Manush: Adhunik Vijnaner Rupa-rekha", Thema, 1992.
- P. Ghose, D. Home and N. Sehgal, Kyon aur Kaise, Vigyan Prasar, 1997.
- P. Ghose, "Cosmic Quest’’, Thema, 2000.