This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
HMS Phoenix, 1939
|Preceded by:||Odin class|
|Succeeded by:||Rainbow class|
|General characteristics |
|Length:||289 ft (88 m)|
|Beam:||30 ft (9.1 m)|
|Draught:||16 ft (4.9 m)|
The Parthian-class submarine or P class was a class of six submarines built for the Royal Navy in the late 1920s. They were designed as long-range patrol submarines for the Far East. These boats were almost identical to the Odin class, the only difference being a different bow shape.
|Pandora (ex-Python)||Vickers, Barrow||22 August 1929||Sunk by Italian aircraft in harbour at Valletta, Malta 1 April 1942. Raised in September 1943, but not repaired. Hulk scrapped in 1955.|
|Parthian||Chatham Dockyard||22 June 1929||Lost between 6 August and 11 August 1943 in the Adriatic. Presumed mined.|
|Perseus||Vickers, Barrow||22 May 1929||Most likely to have been mined in the Ionian Sea between the islands of Kefallonia and Zakynthos off the west coast of Greece, 6 December 1941.|
|Phoenix||Cammell Laird||3 October 1929||Presumed sunk on 16 July 1940 in depth charge attack by the Italian torpedo boat Albatros off the coast of Sicily.|
|Poseidon||Vickers, Barrow||21 June 1929||Sank in accidental collision with a merchant steamer on 9 June 1931. Wreck alleged to have been salvaged by China during 1970s.|
|Proteus||Vickers, Barrow||23 July 1929||Scrapped in March 1946 at Troon.|
- Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships
- Akermann, Paul (2002). Encyclopaedia of British Submarines 1901–1955 (reprint of the 1989 ed.). Penzance, Cornwall: Periscope Publishing. ISBN 1-904381-05-7.
- Bagnasco, Erminio (1977). Submarines of World War Two. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-962-6.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8.
- Chesneau, Roger, ed. (1980). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1922–1946. Greenwich, UK: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-146-7.
- McCartney, Innes (2006). British Submarines 1939–1945. New Vanguard. 129. Oxford, UK: Osprey. ISBN 1-84603-007-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parthian class submarine.|
- "Parthian class submarine". Battleships-cruisers.co.uk. Retrieved 2 December 2006.
- "Parthian class". BritSub. Retrieved 2 December 2006.
- "HMS Pandora". Uboat.net. Archived from the original on 19 June 2010. Retrieved 2 December 2006.
- "Submarine losses 1904 to present day". Royal Navy Submarine Museum. Archived from the original on 16 August 2006. Retrieved 2 December 2006.
|This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|