This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||August 11, 1989 (first incarnation)|
October 13, 2016 (second incarnation)
|Dissolved||December 13, 1990(first incarnation)|
Parti 51 is a minor political party in the Canadian province of Quebec that was founded in the late 1980s under the leadership of Serge Talon. The party proposed the separation of Quebec from Canada in order to seek admission to the United States as the 51st state of that union. The party had no success in winning any seat in 1989 election to the National Assembly of Quebec, and in the spring of 1990, asked the Direction of Elections of Quebec to dissolve the party because it no longer had enough members to form an executive committee.
In 2016, Saint-Georges lawyer Hans Mercier re-launched Parti 51, again calling for the annexation of Quebec. By the time of the 2018 election, the party had an estimated 1,100 members. Mercier told La Presse that the times have changed since the party's previous era, as Quebec sovereigntism has waned in popularity. Mercier argued that Americans would be welcoming of a new Quebec state, and pointed to a survey taken during the Administration of George W. Bush that suggested nearly 34% of Quebecers would support joining the United States.
|General election||# of candidates||# of elected candidates||% of popular vote|
1989 Election Results
In the 1989 Quebec provincial election, the only election in which it nominated candidates, the party nominated 11 candidates, who won 3,846 votes, or 0.11% of the popular vote in the province. The party ran mostly in Anglophone areas of the province.
2018 Election Results
In 2018 Quebec election resulted they got 1,117 votes, or 0.03% of popular vote in the province, which did more poorly than its predecessor did.
- List of political parties in Quebec
- Politics of Quebec
- Quebec sovereignty movement
- 51st State Party (New Zealand)
- "Le Directeur général des élections du Québec". Le Directeur général des élections du Québec.
- "Parti 51". QuébecPolitique.com (in French). 1 August 2008. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Guidara, Amin (27 August 2018). "Voter pour un Québec américain - La Presse+". La Presse+ (in French). La Presse. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- Crête, Jean. "L'année politique au Québec 1989-1990: La vie des partis" (in French). Les Presses de l'Université de Montréal. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "L'avocat beauceron Hans Mercier relance le Parti 51". L'Éclaireur Progrès (in French). Archived from the original on 2017-10-29. Retrieved 28 October 2017.