Partialism is sexual interest with an exclusive focus on a specific part of the body other than the genitals. Partialism is categorized as a fetishistic disorder in the DSM-5 of the American Psychiatric Association only if it causes significant psychosocial distress for the person or has detrimental effects on important areas of their life. In the DSM-IV, it was considered a separate paraphilia (not otherwise specified), but was merged into fetishistic disorder by the DSM-5. Individuals with partialism sometimes describe the anatomy of interest to them as having equal or greater erotic attraction for them as do the genitals.
Types of partialism
|Formal name||Common name||Source of arousal|
|Alvinophilia||Navel/Belly button fetish||Navel|
|Hand fetishism||Hand fetish||Hands|
- American Psychiatric Association (2013). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders American Psychiatric Association (5th ed.). Arlington: American Psychiatric Publishing. pp. 700–701. ISBN 978-0890425558.
- Edlin, Gordon; Golanty, Eric (2011). Human Sexuality: The Basics. Jones & Bartlett Publishers. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Milner, J. S., & Dopke, C. A. (1997). Paraphilia Not Otherwise Specified: Psychopathology and theory. In D. R. Laws and W. O'Donohue (Eds.), Sexual deviance: Theory, assessment, and treatment. New York: Guilford.
- Kunjukrishnan, R., Pawlak, A., & Varan, L R. (1988). The clinical and forensic psychiatric issues of retifism. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 33, 819–825.
- Weinberg, M. S., Williams, C. J., & Calhan, C. (1994). Homosexual foot fetishism. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 23, 611–626.
- Weinberg, M. S., Williams, C. J., & Calhan, C. (1995). "If the shoe fits...": Exploring male homosexual foot fetishism. The Journal of Sex Research, 32, 17–27.
- "Exploring those secret turn-ons - Get your freak on!". Jamaica-gleaner.com. 2008-05-31. Archived from the original on 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Bering, Jesse. "Partial for Protuberant: The Man Who Was Into 'Outies'". Scientific American. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- SPECIFIC BODY PART FETISH Archived 2012-04-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-26. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Aggrawal, Anil (2009). Forensic and medico-legal aspects of sexual crimes and unusual sexual practices. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. p. 121. ISBN 1420043099. Retrieved 6 July 2014.