|Part of a series on financial services|
Participation banking is a name given to Islamic banks mainly in Turkey, as well as in the broader MENA region. There are participation banks in Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, the UAE and other Gulf countries.
In 2000 participation banks reached[clarification needed] only 2% of net assets, by 2010 this rate increased up to 4.3%. In the third quarter of 2013, the rate increased up to 6.1% with 90.7 billion TL in assets. Regarding the profit margins of the participation banks, Malaysia, Indonesia and Gulf countries have more than 50% of the market share, it is stated that Turkey has more potential in growth. Also, Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Indonesia stand as the leading countries[clarification needed] among the participation banks. Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Malaysia are the three largest participation banking markets, in terms of assets. Iran has 36% of the worldwide assets of the participation banks, Malaysia has 17%, Saudi Arabia has 14% and Turkey has 3.1% of the[clarification needed] market share.
List of participation banks
- Ziraat Participation Bank
- Vakıf Participation Bank
- Turkey Finance Participation Bank
- Albaraka Türk Participation Bank
- Kuwait Turk Participation Bank
- Asia Participation Bank (founded 1996, closed 2016)
- Erol, Cengiz; f. Baklaci, Hasan; Aydoğan, Berna; Tunç, Gökçe (2014). "Performance comparison of Islamic (participation) banks and commercial banks in Turkish banking sector". Euromed Journal of Business. Emerald Insight. 9 (2): 114–128. doi:10.1108/EMJB-05-2013-0024.
- "Megabank project to support Turkey's aim to increase share in participation banking". Daily Sabah. 2017-05-20. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- Yücel Ersöz; Sait Osman Aytaman (2014). "Participation Banking in Turkey: Important Steps for Growth" (in Turkish). Deloitte Türkiye. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Global participation banking assets reached US$930 billion in 2015". Ernst & Young. Archived from the original on 2018-05-24. Retrieved 2018-05-24.