A growth in mobile devices, such as the iPhone, which has multiple sensors, has made participatory sensing viable in the large-scale. Participatory sensing can be used to retrieve information about the environment, weather, urban mobility, congestion as well as any other sensory information that collectively forms knowledge.
- Xiao-Feng Xie, and Zun-Jing Wang. (2015). "An empirical study of combining participatory and physical sensing to better understand and improve urban mobility networks.". Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting. Washington, DC, USA. External link in
- Akshay Dua, Nirupama Bulusu, Wu-Chang Feng, and Wen Hu. (2009). "Towards trustworthy participatory sensing". In Proceedings of the 4th USENIX conference on Hot topics in security. HotSec'09. USENIX Association, Berkeley, CA, USA,. pp. 8–8.
- Raghu K. Ganti, Nam Pham, Yu-En Tsai, and Tarek F. Abdelzaher. (2008). "oolView: stream privacy for grassroots participatory sensing". In Proceedings of the 6th ACM conference on Embedded network sensor systems. SenSys '08. ACM, New York, NY, USA. pp. 281–294. doi:10.1145/1460412.1460440.
- Juong-Sik Lee and Baik Hoh. 2010. Sell Your Experiences: A Market Mechanism based Incentive for Participatory Sensing. In Proceedings of the 8th Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (IEEE PerCom'10), IEEE Computer Society, March 29 - April 2, 2010, Mannheim, Germany.
- J. Burke, D. Estrin, M. Hansen, A. Parker, N. Ramanathan, S. Reddy, M. B. Srivastava. 2006. Participatory Sensing. In the Proceedings of the International Workshop on World-Sensor-Web (WSW'2006), ACM, October 31, 2006, Boulder, CO, U.S.A.
- Xinlei (Oscar) Wang, Wei Cheng, Prasant Mohapatra and Tarek Abdelzaher. (2014). "Enabling Reputation and Trust in Privacy-Preserving Mobile Sensing". doi:10.1109/TMC.2013.150.
- Emiliano De Cristofaro and Claudio Soriente. Participatory Privacy: Enabling Privacy in Participatory Sensing Applications. IEEE Network - The Magazine of Global Internetworking, 2012.