Partner (2007 film)
Movie poster for Partner
|Directed by||David Dhawan|
|Produced by||Sohail Khan
|Written by||Sanjay Chhel
|Edited by||Nitin Rokade
|Distributed by||Sohail Khan Productions
K. Sera Sera
|Box office||₹138 crore (US$21 million)|
Partner is a 2007 Bollywood romantic comedy film directed by David Dhawan. The film stars Govinda and Salman Khan, with Katrina Kaif and Lara Dutta. The film is inspired by the hollywood movie Will Smith starrer Hitch (2005). The film was declared a blockbuster by Box Office India and one of the highest grossers for Salman Khan; the film was also Govinda's comeback.
Prem (Salman Khan) is a Love Guru who solves the love issues of his clients. He meets Bhaskar Diwakar Chaudhary (Govinda) who comes to Prem for help in his love life. Bhaskar loves his boss Priya Jaisingh (Katrina Kaif) but is unable to express his love to her as she is the daughter of a wealthy businessman. Prem initially refuses to help Bhaskar and goes to Phuket, Thailand. Bhaskar follows him there and convinces him to help.
After returning from Thailand, Prem meets Naina (Lara Dutta), a photo journalist who was running from some gangsters led by Chhota Don (Rajpal Yadav), who mimicks Shahrukh Khan in Don. Prem saves her and falls in love with her. Meanwhile, he starts teaching Bhaskar how to impress Priya. But Bhaskar uses his own simplicity and nonsense acts to impress Priya. Priya finally falls in love with Bhaskar but does not disclose it to him.
But in the mean time Prem also comes to know that Naina is married and has a kid named Rohan (Ali Haji) and to impress Naina he takes care of him.
Prem comes to know from Bhaskar that Priya is getting married to someone according to her father's will. They both come to Priya's wedding ceremony with Rohan, but find Naina there and convinces her to marry Prem and Priya's father is convinced by Bhaskar's acts. Priya now gets ready to marry Bhaskar.
Meanwhile, a spoiled brat named Neil (Rajat Bedi) comes to Prem for love help and he asks Prem to convince a girl to have a one-night stand. Prem gets angry with Neil and tells him that he does not help people with such bad intentions. Neil somehow manages to get his one-night stand and then ditches her, telling her the love guru gave him advice to do so. Unfortunately, the girl turns out to be Naina's friend Nikki. Naina then sets out to expose the Love Guru and finds out that it is Prem. Naina hates Prem for what she thought he did to her friend and publishes a front page article claiming that Prem can set anyone up with the girl they want using the Priya/Bhaskar relationship as an example.
Prem thinks that Bhaskar may commit suicide without Priya and goes to her to tell her what really happened. Priya realizes that all the things she liked about Bhaskar are what Prem wanted Bhaskar to hide from her and Priya is ready to take Bhaskar back. Prem makes up with Naina by making her hear the truth about him not helping Neil, and they get back together. On both couples' honeymoon night, Bhaskar again asks Prem for help but this time they both get mingled with their respective wives.
- Govinda as Bhaskar Devakar Chaudhary, A nerdy man who has a crush on his boss Priya Jaisingh.
- Salman Khan as Prem (Love Guru), A love master who gives advice to those who need help getting people in love.
- Lara Dutta as Naina
- Katrina Kaif as Priya Jaisingh
- Master Ali Haji as Rohan (Naina's son)
- Dalip Tahil as Raj Jaisingh
- Aarti Chabria as Nikki (Naina's colleague)
- Rajat Bedi as Neil Bakshi
- Suresh Menon as Kiran
- Deepshikha as Pammi, Prem's sister
- Tiku Talsania as Naina's boss
- Ali Asgar as Naina's colleague
- Atul Parchure
- Vindu Dara Singh as Chadha
- Razak Khan as John uncle
- Puneet Issar as Rana
- Rajpal Yadav as Chhota Don
- Shashi Kiran as Newspaper stall owner
- Dheirya Sorecha as Pammi's son
- Jason Shah as Priya's fiancé
|Soundtrack album by Sajid-Wajid|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||"Do You Wanna Partner"||Udit Narayan, Shaan, Wajid, Suzanne D'Mello, Clinton Cerejo||Salman Khan & Govinda||04:30|
|2||"You’re My Love"||Shaan, Shweta Pandit, Suzanne D'Mello, Earl D’Souza||Govinda, Katrina Kaif, Salman Khan & Lara Dutta||04:35|
|3||"Dupatta Tera Nau Rang Da"||Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal, Kunal Ganjawala, Suzanne D'Mello||Govinda, Katrina Kaif, Lara Dutta & Salman Khan||05:00|
|4||"Soni De Nakhre"||Labh Janjua, Sneha Pant, Wajid||Govinda, Katrina Kaif & Salman Khan||04:17|
|5||"Maria Maria"||Wajid, Sonu Nigam, Shakib, Sunidhi Chauhan, Naresh Iyer||Salman Khan & Lara Dutta||04:36|
|6||"You’re My Love (Remix)"||Shaan, Shweta Pandit, Suzanne D'Mello, Earl D’Souza||Excluded in film||04:27|
|7||"Do You Wanna Partner (Remix)"||Udit Narayan, Shaan, Wajid, Suzanne D'Mello, Clinton Cerejo||Excluded in film||03:58|
Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
Sony Pictures, owners of the film Hitch, contemplated a $30-million suit against both the Indian producers for copyright infringements. It would have been the first time an international took legal action against an Indian entertainment company for plagiarism. Partner was eventually released, with Sony acquiring the world exclusive satellite broadcasting rights. 
- "Top All Time Worldwide Grossers Updated 11/5/2012". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "'Partner' inspired from 'Hitch'". 8 July 2007.
- "Script not ready, but Partner 2 is still alive!". Hindustan Times. 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "Salman Khan, Govinda's 'Partner 2' shelved". Bollywood Life. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "Partner Music Review". Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Partner Music Review". Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Partner enters Top 5".
- "Box Office 2007". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Top Lifetime Grossers OVERSEAS (US $). Box Office India. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Partner may face $30 mn Hitch". The Times Of India. 8 August 2007.
- "Who Will Bell the Copycat". Forbes. 22 July 2009.