Partners (2012 TV series)
Season 1 main title card
|Created by||David Kohan
|Directed by||James Burrows|
|Opening theme||"On Top of the World"
by Imagine Dragons
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (7 unaired) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||David Kohan
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||KoMut Entertainment
Warner Bros. Television
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 24 – November 12, 2012|
Partners is an American comedy series that aired on CBS from September 24 to November 12, 2012, on Monday nights at 8:30 p.m., following the sitcom How I Met Your Mother. The series was created by Will & Grace creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan, who also served as the show's executive producers and it stars Michael Urie, David Krumholtz, Sophia Bush, and Brandon Routh.
Although they could not be more different, Louis and Joe are lifelong friends and partners in an architecture firm. Their "bromance" is tested when Joe gets engaged to Ali and Louis is in a new relationship with Wyatt.
- David Krumholtz as Joe Goodman, an architect
- Michael Urie as Louis McManus, Joe's best friend and business partner
- Sophia Bush as Ali Landow, Joe's fiancée
- Brandon Routh as Wyatt Plank, Louis's boyfriend
- Tracy Vilar as Ro-Ro, Joe and Louis' secretary
- Jillian Bell as Renata, Ali's hapless cousin and assistant
- Randy Sklar and Jason Sklar as Jordy and Nate Blevins, twin architects who have a friendly rivalry with Joe and Louis
CBS cancelled Partners on November 16, 2012, prior to the planned November 19 airing of episode 7, "Pretty Funny", and announced that the show would be immediately removed from the schedule. The show was replaced with reruns of Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory, leaving seven filmed episodes unaired in the USA and Canada. Filming on the final episode concluded a week later, on November 21. Seven episodes remain unaired in the U.S., but all 13 episodes have been aired by South African channel M-Net, Indian channel Zee Café and by HBO Comedy in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production code||U.S. viewers
|1||"Pilot"||James Burrows||David Kohan & Max Mutchnick||September 24, 2012||276057||6.56|
|Joe and Louis have been best friends since they were young kids and now work together at their own company. When Joe tells Louis he was given a relationship ultimatum by his current girlfriend, Ali, Louis convinces Joe to break up with her. However, Joe has a moment of enlightenment and ends up proposing to Ali. Later, Louis accidentally tells Ali about Joe's original break up plan, and Louis then finds himself not only fixing his best friend's relationship, but their friendship as well.|
|2||"Chicken & Stuffing"||James Burrows||David Kohan, Max Mutchnick & Jeff Astrof||October 1, 2012||3X7853||5.76|
|Louis interferes when Joe confides that he and Ali have not had sex in over a week, encouraging her to take the initiative. He further interferes when he learns she has never cooked dinner for Joe, inducing her to make his zesty lemon chicken recipe. Although angered by Louis's interference, Joe interferes himself by ordering a cake when Louis forgets Wyatt's fifth "sober birthday". The friends agree that each is good at taking care of the other.|
|3||"The Jeter Exception"||James Burrows||Jeff Astrof||October 8, 2012||3X7854||5.71|
|Joe becomes upset when, after snooping through the belongings Ali is moving into his apartment, he discovers provocative photographs of her with baseball player Derek Jeter. Ali in turn is upset that Joe again violated her trust by confiding their personal business to Louis. He promises to stop doing so but falls into a trap Ali laid when she proves that he told Louis that she had had sex with Justin Timberlake. Meanwhile, a particularly vicious game of Celebrity leads Wyatt to feel insecure about his relationship with Louis. Louis promises to try to be less intense and competitive.|
|4||"The Key"||James Burrows||David Kohan & Max Mutchnick||October 15, 2012||3X7852||6.08|
|Louis pretends to become vegan and a teetotaler for Wyatt. Louis walks in on Ali while she is changing her clothes in Joe's apartment. Ali is furious that Louis has a key to Joe's apartment but she does not. Joe gives Ali a key, but Ali wants Louis to give up his. When Joe asks Louis for the key, he refuses but later finds the lock changed. At dinner that night Louis returns everything Joe ever gave him. When the two find a childhood oath swearing eternal friendship, they make up. At the same time, Louis finds out that Wyatt knew all along that Louis was only pretending.|
|5||"2 Broke Guys"||James Burrows||David Kohan & Max Mutchnick||November 5, 2012||3X7858||5.67|
|Joe and Louis struggle to gain a client. Meanwhile, Ali has Wyatt help with some remodeling at the shop. When they kiss, Joe gets upset because of Wyatt's looks, but Ali claims that she feels nothing in the kiss.|
|6||"Temporary Insanity"||James Burrows||Jeff Astrof||November 12, 2012||3X7859||5.48|
|Joe, at Louis' initial insistence, hires Wyatt to be his personal assistant. Joe is surprising happy, but things don't work out the way Louis wants. Meanwhile, Ali is trying to find a caterer for a party at her shop.|
|7||"My Best Friend’s Wedding Ring"||James Burrows||David Kohan & Max Mutchnick||December 14, 2012(South Africa)||3X7855||N/A|
|After Louis offers Joe his grandmother's ring to give to Ali as her long-awaited engagement ring, he is shocked when a hurt Wyatt objects.|
|8||"Troubled Water"||James Burrows||Ilana Wernick & John Riggi||December 21, 2012(South Africa)||3X7856||N/A|
|Joe and Louis are contracted to design a house for a big shot in the music business.|
|9||"Pretty Funny"||James Burrows||David Kohan & Max Mutchnick||December 28, 2012(South Africa)||3X7857||N/A|
|Joe is torn as to where he and Ali should socialise when he realizes that he doesn't fit in with her friends and she doesn't fit in with Louis'|
|10||"Straight Man’s Best Friend"||James Burrows||Story by: Lester Lewis
Teleplay by: David Kohan & Max Mutchnick
|January 4, 2013(South Africa)||3X7860||N/A|
|Joe tries to hide his new straight friend Russ from Louis|
|11||"The Archies"||James Burrows||Ilana Wernick||January 11, 2013(South Africa)||3X7861||N/A|
|Joe and Louis wait to find out if they are nominated for an "Archie" award.|
|12||"Two Nines and a Pair of Queens"||James Burrows||Jeff Astrof||January 18, 2013(South Africa)||3X7862||N/A|
|Joe and Louis argue about which one is the better looking of the pair. Meanwhile, Ali films a commercial for her store that will air in taxis and Wyatt has a problem with his new driver's license.|
|13||"Sperm und Drang"||James Burrows||Jeff Astrof||January 25, 2013(South Africa)||3X7863||N/A|
|Ali gets a pregnancy scare, Louis decides to have a baby as well, Joe and Louis' relationship is tested.|
Critics have noted that the CBS show has many similarities to a 1995 Fox sitcom of the same name. Both shows had the same director, concept, characters with similar occupations, similar name for the main female lead, and even timeslot. In addition, Jeff Greenstein, one of the head writers of the Fox series who also worked on Will & Grace with Kohan and Mutchnick, has claimed they were big fans of the show.
It was later broadcast by HBO Comedy in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, and Slovenia from March 2013, Zee Cafe in India from October 2013, and TVNZ's TV2 in New Zealand from Wednesday November 27, 2013 late-night.
The Nine Network in Australia were going to air the series prior to cancellation for their late 2012 to early 2013 season, however delayed the complete series for burning off until December 30, 2013 late-night also airing on Thursdays. Also captioning was converted to teletext subtitling by AI Media, which are made available due to ACMA rules. Unlike New Zealand and other countries that have very limited legislated broadcasting rules. The series was preempted during the first week of February 2014.
- "CBS Fall 2012 Premiere Dates: 'The Good Wife,' 'Criminal Minds' And More Return In September". The Huffington Post. July 11, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 16, 2012). "CBS Freshman Comedy 'Partners' Canceled". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- "Partners: Sitcom Canceled by CBS". TV Series Finale. November 16, 2012. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Harp, Justin (November 16, 2012). "CBS cancels Brandon Routh comedy 'Partners'". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- @michaelurie (November 12, 2012). "Michael Urie reveals last day of shooting" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Partners: Cancelled Show Wiped from CBS Website, People's Choice Awards". TV Series Finale. November 19, 2012. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 23, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: 'How I Met Your Mother', 'Mike and Molly', 'Voice', 'Bones' Adjusted Up; 'DWTS', 'Revolution', 'Castle' 'Hawaii Five-0' & 'LA Complex' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara. "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'How I Met Your Mother', 'Dancing With the Stars', '2 Broke Girls' & 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'iHeartRadio Music Festival' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'DWTS' Adjusted Up; '90210', 'Revolution', 'Partners', '2 Broke Girls', 'Mike & Molly', 'Hawaii Five-0', and 'How I Met Your Mother' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (October 16, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: '2 Broke Girls', 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'Revolution' Adjusted Down Plus Final Baseball Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 6, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: '2 Broke Girls', & 'Revolution' Adjusted Down; No Adjustment for 'The Mob Doctor', '90210' or 'The Voice'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara. "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'Castle', 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'The Mob Doctor' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- Partners (2012): Season 1, Metacritic
- CBS's new 'Partners' vs. Fox's old 'Partners'
- New CBS comedy ‘Partners’: Did it already air on FOX ... 17 years ago? - Zap2it
- Twitter / blue439: @BackpackingDad Further: I
- Better. Every. Day. Citytv Unveils Strongest Prime-Time Schedule for 2012-13 Season
- Partners | Season 1 | TVSA
- Partnerja, 13. del - HBO Slovenija
- Later this year on Nine | TV Tonight