Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health
Graça Machel, ChairRobin Gorna, Executive Director
The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH) is a multi-constituency partnership hosted by the World Health Organization and chaired by Graça Machel. PMNCH seeks to achieve universal access to comprehensive, high-quality reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health care. PMNCH works with more than 650 members in the reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) communities across seven constituencies:
- Academic research and teaching institutions
- Donors and foundations
- Health-care professionals
- Multilateral agencies
- Non-governmental organizations
- Partner countries
- The private sector
PMNCH describes itself as "a platform for knowledge, advocacy and accountability to improve women and children’s health". The Partnership is governed by a Board chaired by Graça Machel.
The Partnership plays a central role in facilitating joint action on many fronts, mainly progress towards the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) 4 and 5, to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health, as tracked by the Countdown to 2015 initiative, and through support for the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health (Global Strategy) and Every Woman Every Child. PMNCH enables members to share strategies, align objectives and resources, and collectively agree on policy interventions.
PMNCH’s work and support to partners is focused on three key Strategic Objectives:
- Promotion of knowledge and innovation for action in order to enhance policy, service delivery and financing mechanisms.
- Advocacy to mobilize and consolidate resources and greater engagement towards RMNCH.
- Promotion of accountability for resources and results in order to strengthen monitoring of RMNCH’s efforts.
The Partnership issues annual reports on progress of commitments from more than 250 stakeholders and estimates that the Global Strategy has leveraged over US$18 billion in new and additional money for women’s and children’s health.
PMNCH was launched in September 2005 when the world’s three leading maternal, newborn and child health alliances joined forces under the new name of The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health. 80 original members joined together from the three organizations, which included: the Partnership for Safe Motherhood and Newborn Health, hosted by the World Health Organization in Geneva; the Healthy Newborn Partnership, based at Save the Children USA; and the Child Survival Partnership, hosted by UNICEF in New York. All three partnerships focused on accelerating action by countries—both donor and developing countries—to achieve Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) 4 (reduce child mortality) and 5 (improve maternal health).
As of July 2014, the following bodies are represented on the PMNCH Board. The Board is chaired by Mrs Graça Machel and co-chaired by Mr CK Mishra, Government of India and Dr Flavia Bustreo, the World Health Organization.
- Government of Indonesia
- Government of Tanzania
- Government of Nigeria
- Government of India
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) (Permanent seat)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) (permanent seat)
- World Health Organization (WHO) (Permanent seat)
- The World Bank (Permanent seat)
Donors and foundations
- The Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD)
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Department of International Development, (DFID) (UK)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Government of Canada
- Save the Children
- White Ribbon Alliance
- International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
- World Vision International
Health care professionals
- International Confederation of Midwives
- International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (FIGO)
- International Paediatric Association
Academic, research and teaching institutions
- Government of Zambia and University Teaching Hospital
- Institute for Global Health, University College London
- Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy (IECS) 
- "Reaching Every Woman and Every Child through Partnership" (PDF). World Health Organization. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "The PMNCH 2013 Report". World Health Organization. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "PMNCH History". World Health Organization. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Board, PMNCH". World Health Organization.
- "Chairs, PMNCH". World Health Organization. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Board Members, PMNCH". World Health Organization. Retrieved 19 September 2014.