Partnership on AI
Partnership on AI (full name Partnership on Artificial Intelligence to Benefit People and Society) is a nonprofit coalition committed to the responsible use of artificial intelligence. It researches best practices for artificial intelligence systems and to educate the public about AI. Publicly announced September 28, 2016, its founding members are Amazon, Facebook, Google, DeepMind, Microsoft, and IBM, with interim co-chairs Eric Horvitz of Microsoft Research and Mustafa Suleyman of DeepMind. Apple joined the consortium as a founding member in January 2017. More than 100 partners from academia, civil society, industry, and nonprofits are member organizations in 2019.
In January 2017, Apple head of advanced development for Siri, Tom Gruber, joined the Partnership on AI's board. In October 2017, Terah Lyons joined the Partnership on AI as the organization's founding Executive Director. Lyons brought to the organization her expertise in technology governance, with a specific focus in machine intelligence, AI, and robotics policy, having formerly served as Policy Advisor to the United States Chief Technology Officer Megan Smith. Lyons was succeeded by Partnership on AI board member Rebecca Finlay as interim executive director. A search for a permanent executive director is now underway.
- Hern, Alex (2016-09-28). "'Partnership on AI' formed by Google, DeepMind, Facebook, Amazon, IBM and Microsoft | Technology". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Waters, Richard (2016-09-29). "AI is 'Next Big Thing' to worry about". Financial Times. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Bindi, Tas (2016-09-29). "Amazon, Google, Facebook, IBM, and Microsoft form AI non-profit". ZDNet. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Rubin, Ben Fox; Cheng, Roger (2016-09-29). "The AI Super Friends assemble! (The 3:59, Ep. 115)". CNET. Archived from the original on 2016-09-30. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Partnership on AI Update". Partnership on AI. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- https://www.partnershiponai.org/new-partners-to-bolster-perspective-for-responsible-ai/%7Ctitle=New Partners To Bolster Perspective For Responsible AI
- Tilley, Aaron. "Why Apple Joined Rivals Amazon, Google, Microsoft In AI Partnership". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Partnership on AI Announces Executive Director Terah Lyons and Welcomes New Partners - The Partnership on AI". The Partnership on AI. 2017-10-17. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- "Executive Director | Pearl Street Collective". pearlstreetcollective.com. Retrieved 2021-09-01.
- Taylor, Chloe (2018-10-17). "Baidu becomes the first Chinese firm to join US-led A.I. body". CNBC. Archived from the original on November 3, 2018. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
McGregor, Sean (2020-11-18). "When AI Systems Fail: Introducing the AI Incident Database". partnershiponai.org. Partnership on AI. Retrieved 2020-11-21.
Avoiding repeated AI failures requires making past failures known. Therefore, today we introduce a systematized collection of incidents where intelligent systems have caused safety, fairness, or other real-world problems: The AI Incident Database (AIID).