|Also known as||Stubbleman|
|Born||15 December 1956|
His musical career began in 1977 in the punk rock band The Razors (bass guitar). He left Belgium for London in 1979 and, after a spell in art-school band Church of Friendly Valley with scratch video artist George Barber, began working as a freelance sound engineer in various London studios, earning a reputation for innovative remixes for artists such as Marc Almond (Soft Cell) and Yello.
He also formed half of Music for All, an experimental electronic collaborative project with John Lipnicki, whose first performance was in an operating supermarket in West London. At about that time, he released two experimental tracks on Touch, before beginning to concentrate on studio work.
Toward the end of the 1980s, Gabriel was producer and co-writer for S'Express and Bomb the Bass—two of the first sample-heavy dancefloor artists of that era. He claimed a number one UK single with the S'Express track "Theme from S'Express" and a number two with Bomb the Bass' "Beat Dis."
Following the success of S'Express and Bomb the Bass, Gabriel embarked on a series of projects, mixing, producing and writing with a variety of artists, including Claudia Brücken (formerly of Propaganda), Wire, and Debbie Harry from Blondie.
From 1996 to 1998 he wrote, produced and performed with the Mute Records-signed band Peach (known as "Peach Union" in the U.S.). Their song "On My Own" was featured prominently in the film Sliding Doors.
Gabriel subsequently wrote and produced with a host of popular artists, including the then unsigned singer Dido (with whom he wrote several songs: "I'm No Angel" and "Here with Me" from her multi-million selling debut album No Angel), Kylie Minogue (including "Your Love" for her album Fever), Dot Allison, Natalie Imbruglia, Rachel Stevens, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Skye Edwards (Morcheeba), Bebel Gilberto and many others.
He collaborated extensively with Miss Kittin, co-writing and producing her solo album BatBox, and with New Zealand star Ladyhawke, penning and producing five tracks on her debut album, Ladyhawke (including the singles "My Delirium", "Dusk Till Dawn", and "Magic") and the whole of her second album Anxiety,, which he also mixed, in 2012.
Around the same time he co-wrote "Tune Into My Heart" on Little Boots' début album Hands, carried out additional production on Goldfrapp's fifth album, "Head First", and co-wrote and produced three tracks on Marina and the Diamonds 2010 album "The Family Jewels", and the song "Can't Beat the Feeling" on Kylie Minogue's 2010 UK number one Aphrodite album.
He co-wrote several tracks with Will Young for his 2011 UK number one album Echoes, including the single "Losing Myself", recorded in his studios in London and France, and co-wrote the single "The Apple" with VV Brown.
Recently, Gabriel has developed a solo project, 'Stubbleman'. A return to his electronic and ambient roots, it combines a cinematic mixture of found sounds and field recordings with modular synthesizers and live piano. Stubbleman's debut album 'Mountains and Plains', inspired by a road trip across the USA, is scheduled for release on Marc Hollander's cult Belgian indie label Crammed Discs in spring 2019.
Selected production credits
- S'Express - Co-wrote and produced no.1 single "Theme from S'Express".
- Dido - Co-wrote "Here With Me" and "I'm no Angel" from 1999's No Angel.
- Kylie Minogue - Co-wrote "Your Love" and "Tightrope" from 2001's Fever.
- Bebel Gilberto - Co-wrote and produced Ceu Distante from 2004's Bebel Gilberto album.
- Rachel Stevens - Co-wrote So Good and "I Will Be There" from 2005's Come And Get It.
- Freeform Five - Co-wrote "No More Conversations" (2005).
- Miss Kittin - Co-wrote and co-produced Miss Kittin's BatBox album (2008), including the single "Kittin Is High" and "Grace".
- Dot Allison - Co-wrote "Cry" from her 2009 album "Room 7½".
- Marina and the Diamonds - co-wrote and produced "Shampain", "Girls", "Rootless" from her 2010 album The Family Jewels.
- Goldfrapp - Additional Production on "Rocket", "Believer", "Dreaming", "Head First" and "I Wanna Life" from their 2010 album "Head First".
- Kylie Minogue - Co-wrote and co-produced "Can't Beat the Feeling" from her 2010 album Aphrodite
- Will Young - Co-wrote "Losing Myself" and "Happy Now" from his 2011 album Echoes.
- Ladyhawke - Co-wrote and produced several songs for 2008's Ladyhawke, including the singles "Dusk Till Dawn", "My Delirium" and "Magic". Also co-wrote, produced and mixed all songs for her 2012 album Anxiety.
- Little Boots - Co-wrote "Tune into my Heart" from her album Hands (2009).
- The Temper Trap - Co-wrote singles "Thick as Thieves" and "Alive" as well as three other songs from their album Thick as Thieves (2016).
- Emma Louise - Produced her album Supercry (2016).