|Alma mater||National University of Ireland|
University College Cork
|Thesis||Generalized Metrics and Topology in Logic Programming Semantics (2001)|
|Doctoral advisor||Anthony Karel Seda|
Pascal Hitzler is a German American computer scientist specializing in Semantic Web and Artificial Intelligence. He is endowed Lloyd T. Smith Creativity in Engineering Chair and Director of the Center for Artificial Intelligence and Data Science at Kansas State University, and the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Semantic Web journal and the IOS Press book series Studies on the Semantic Web.
Hitzler received a Diplom in Mathematics from the University of Tübingen in Germany in 1998. He has a PhD in Mathematics from the National University of Ireland, University College Cork, 2001.
Hitzler received the title of 2018 Brage Golding Distinguished Professor of Research during his tenure at Wright State University, where he was endowed NCR Distinguished Professor. From 2004 to 2009 he was first Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (as postdoc) and then Akademischer Rat at the Institute for Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods at the University of Karlsruhe in Germany. Between 2001 and 2004 he was a postdoctoral researcher at the International Center for Computational Logic at TU Dresden. From 1999 to 2001 he was a PhD student at the Department of Mathematics at the National University of Ireland, University College Cork, and graduated with a dissertation on "Generalized Metrics and Topology in Logic Programming Semantics." From 1992 to 1998 he studied Mathematics and Computer Science at the Eberhard-Karl University of Tübingen in Germany and graduated with a Diplom thesis on "Topology and Logic Programming Semantics".
Hitzler co-founded several series of academic meetings, including the Workshop on Neural-Symbolic Learning and Reasoning (NeSy, since 2005), the Web Reasoning and Rule Systems Conference (RR, since 2006), the Workshop on Applications of Semantic Technologies (AST, 2007-2011), and the U.S. Semantic Technologies Symposium (us2ts, since 2018). He also contributed to steering the Workshop on Ontology Design & Patterns (WOP, since 2017).
Hitzler has published several books as author and editor, including the textbook "Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies" which was awarded an Outstanding Academic Title award in 2010 by the Choice Magazine.
A scientometric publication in PLOS Biology, in October 2020, listed him among the top 1% of scientists world-wide in Artificial Intelligence & Image Processing.
At the 2020 International Semantic Web Conference, he and his co-authors received the SWSA Ten-Year Award by the Semantic Web Science Association, for the publication Prateek Jain, Pascal Hitzler, Amit P. Sheth, Kunal Verma, Peter Z. Yeh, Ontology Alignment for Linked Open Data.
Barbara Hammer, Pascal Hitzler (eds.), Perspectives of Neural-Symbolic Integration. Studies in Computational Intelligence, Vol. 77. Springer, 2007.
Pascal Hitzler, Markus Krötzsch, Sebastian Rudolph, York Sure, Semantic Web. Grundlagen. Springer textbook, 2008.
Pascal Hitzler, Henrik Schärfe (eds.), Conceptual Structures in Practice. Chapman & Hall/CRC studies in informatics series, Boca Raton FL, 2009.
Pascal Hitzler, Markus Krötzsch, Sebastian Rudolph, Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies. Textbooks in Computing, Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, 2010.
Pascal Hitzler, Anthony K. Seda, Mathematical Aspects of Logic Programming Semantics. Studies in Informatics, Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, 2010.
Steffen Hölldobler, Sebastian Bader, Bertram Fronhöfer, Ursula Hans, Pascal Hitzler, Markus Krötzsch, Tobias Pietzsch, Logik und Logikprogrammierung Band 2: Aufgaben und Lösungen. Synchron Verlag, Heidelberg, 2011
Pascal Hitzler, Markus Krötzsch, Sebastian Rudolph, 语义Web技术基础. Tsinghua University Press, 2013.
Pascal Hitzler, Aldo Gangemi, Krzysztof Janowicz, Adila Krisnadhi, Valentina Presutti (eds.), Ontology Engineering with Ontology Design Patterns: Foundations and Applications. Studies on the Semantic Web Vol. 25, IOS Press/AKA Verlag, 2016.
Karl Hammar, Pascal Hitzler, Adila Krisnadhi, Agnieszka Lawrynowicz, Andrea Nuzzolese, Monika Solanki (eds.), Advances in Ontology Design and Patterns. Studies on the Semantic Web Vol. 32, IOS Press/AKA Verlag, 2017.
Ilaria Tiddi, Freddy Lecue, Pascal Hitzler (eds.), Knowledge Graphs for eXplainable Artificial Intelligence: Foundations, Applications and Challenges Studies on the Semantic Web Vol. 47, IOS Press/AKA Verlag, 2020.
Eva Blomqvist, Torsten Hahmann, Karl Hammar, Pascal Hitzler, Rinke Hoekstra, Raghava Mutharaju, Maria Poveda, Cogan Shimizu, Martin Skjaeveland, Monika Solanki, Vojtech Svatek, Lu Zhou (eds.), Advances in Pattern-based Ontology Engineering. Studies on the Semantic Web 51, IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2021.
Pascal Hitzler, Md Kamruzzaman Sarker (eds.), Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence: The State of the Art. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications Vol. 342, IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2022.
Pascal Hitzler, Md Kamruzzaman Sarker, Aaron Eberhardt (eds.), Compendium of Neurosymbolic Artificial Intelligence. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications Vol. 369, IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2023.
- "Pascal Hitzler - DBLP".
- "Pascal Hitzler - Math Genealogy".
- "Pascal Hitzler - Google Scholar".
- "Pascal Hitzler designated as engineering chair".
- "Center for Artificial Intelligence and Data Science".
- "IOS Press - Semantic Web Journal".
- "IOS Press - Studies on the Semantic Web".
- Hitzler, Pascal (2001). "Thesis Full Text - Hitzler, P. 2001. Generalized metrics and topology in logic programming semantics. PhD Thesis, University College Cork (Doctoral thesis). University College Cork.
- "Brage Golding Distinguished Professor of Research - Wright State University".
- "Pascal Hitzler - KIT: Karlsruher Institute for Technology".
- Hitzler, Pascal (January 1997). "Pascal Hitzler, Topology and Logic Programming Semantics, Diplomarbeit, Department of Mathematics, University of Tübingen, Germany, 1998". Computer Science and Engineering Faculty Publications.
- "Artur S. d'Avila Garcez, Pascal Hitzler and Jeff Ellman (eds.), Proceedings of the IJCAI-05 International Workshop on Neural-Symbolic Learning and Reasoning, NeSy'05, Edinburgh, UK, August 2005. AAAI Press, 2005". CiteSeerX 10.1.1.306.5480.
- Francesco Calimeri; Pascal Hitzler (31 December 2011). "Francesco Calimeri and Pascal Hitzler, Web Reasoning and Rule Systems: Five Years into the Conference". Newsletter of the Association for Logic Programming.
- "AST 2006, Applications of Semantic Technologies, 1st International AST Workshop, 6th of October 2006, Dresden, Germany".
- "us2ts U.S. Semantic Techologies Symposium Series: About US2TS".
- "Association for Ontology Design & Patterns (ODPA)".
- "Books By Pascal Hitzler - Amazon". Amazon.
- "Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies - CRC Press".
- Outstanding Academic Titles 2010. CHOICE magazine of the American Library Association. 1 January 2011. p. 841.
- Ioannidis JPA; Boyack, K. W.; Baas, J. (2020). "John P. A. Ioannidis, Kevin W. Boyack, Jeroen Baas, Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators, PLOS Biology, October 16, 2020". PLOS Biology. 18 (10): e3000918. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.3000918. PMC 7567353. PMID 33064726.
- "SWSA Ten-Year Award".
- Hitzler, Pascal; Krötzsch, Markus; Parsia, Bijan; Patel-Schneider, Peter F.; Rudolph, Sebastian (11 December 2012). "OWL 2 Web Ontology Language Primer (Second Edition". World Wide Web Consortium. Retrieved 22 May 2020.