|Director-General of the World Trade Organization|
1 September 2005 – 1 September 2013
|Preceded by||Supachai Panitchpakdi|
|Succeeded by||Roberto Azevêdo|
|European Commissioner for Trade|
13 September 1999 – 22 November 2004
|Preceded by||Leon Brittan|
|Succeeded by||Peter Mandelson|
8 April 1947 |
|Political party||Socialist Party|
|Alma mater||Institute of Political Studies, Paris
School of High Commercial Studies, Paris
National School of Administration, Strasbourg
Pascal Lamy (born 8 April 1947) is a French political consultant and businessman. He was the Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) until 1 September 2013. His appointment took effect on 1 September 2005 for a four-year term. In April 2009, WTO members reappointed Lamy for a second four-year term, beginning on 1 September 2009. He was then succeeded by Roberto Azevêdo. Pascal Lamy was also European Commissioner for Trade and is currently the Honorary President of the Paris-based think tank, Notre Europe.
Born in Levallois-Perret, Hauts-de-Seine, a suburb of Paris, Lamy studied at Sciences Po Paris, from HEC and ÉNA, graduating second in his year of those specialising in economics. Lamy is also an honorary graduate of the University of Warwick.
Lamy has been a member of the French Socialist Party since 1969.
Member of the European Commission
When Delors became President of the European Commission in 1984, he took Lamy with him to serve as chef de cabinet, which he did until the end of Delors' term in 1994. During his time there, Lamy became known as the Beast of the Berlaymont, the Gendarme and Exocet due to his habit of ordering civil servants, even Directors-General (head of departments) "precisely what to do – or else." He was seen as ruling Delors' office with a "rod of iron", with no-one able to bypass or manipulate him and those who tried being "banished to one of the less pleasant European postings".
Returning to the European Commission in 1999, Lamy was appointed European Commissioner for Trade by Commission President Romano Prodi. Lamy served to the expiry of the commission's term in 2004. His ability to manage the powerful civil servants in his department was noted. During his time in office, he pushed for a new Doha round of world trade talks and advocated reform within the WTO.
Director-General of the WTO, 2005–2013
On 13 May 2005, Lamy was chosen as the next director-general of the World Trade Organization, and took office on 1 September 2005 for a four-year term. He had been nominated by the European Union and won over candidates including Carlos Pérez del Castillo of Uruguay and Jaya Krishna Cuttaree of Mauritius.
On 30 April 2009, Lamy was re-elected unanimously by the WTO General Council for a second term of four years, beginning 1 September 2009. He also served as the chairman of the organization's Trade Negotiations Committee. He was the WTO's fifth director-general.
- Broader European Leadership Agenda (BELA), Member of the Advisory Board
- Centre for European Reform (CER), Member of the Advisory Board
- European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), Member
- Fondation européenne d'études progressistes (FEPS), Vice-President of the Bureau
- UNAIDS–Lancet Commission on Defeating AIDS, Member (2013-2015)
Lamy is married and has three sons. His hobbies include running and cycling.
- Lamy, Pascal. The Geneva Consensus: Making Trade Work for All. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Lamy, Pascal. The Economic Summit and the European Community. Bissell Paper No. 5. Toronto: University of Toronto, Centre for International Studies, 1988
- Honorary Degrees for Pensions Campaigner, World Trade Director and Theatre Critic
- Eppink, Derk-Jan (2007). Life of a European Mandarin: Inside the Commission. Ian Connerty (trans.) (1st ed.). Tielt, Belgium: Lannoo. pp. 22–3. ISBN 978-90-209-7022-7.
- Former EU Mandarin Spills the Beans on Commission Intrigue Deutsche Welle
- Raphael Minder, Frances Williams and Alan Beattie (December 7, 2004), Pascal Lamy in running to head WTO Financial Times.
- WTO | News – What's happening at the WTO
- Advisory Board Broader European Leadership Agenda (BELA).
- Members European Council on Foreign Relations.
- List of Commissioners UNAIDS–Lancet Commission on Defeating AIDS.
- Commissioner Pascal Lamy, Europa
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pascal Lamy.|
- About Pascal Lamy
- Pascal Lamy's Commissioner's profile
- Notre Europe
- "Pascal Lamy – Managing Global Expectations", The Globalist, 23 February 2006
- Pascal Lamy: Free Trade and Interdependence Help Promote Freedom – video report by Democracy Now!
Yves-Thibault de Silguy
|French European Commissioner
Served alongside: Michel Barnier
|European Commissioner for Trade
Served alongside: Danuta Hübner
|Director-General of the World Trade Organization