|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Word/name||Cornish (from Latin)|
|Meaning||"associated with Passover (or Easter)"|
|Related names||Pascoe, Pascal, Pascale, Pascalle, Paschal, Paskal, Paschalis, Pascaline, Pasquale, Pasqual, Pascual|
Pasco is a Cornish form of the name Pascal that derives from the Latin paschalis or pashalis, which means "relating to Easter" from Latin Pascha ("Passover", i.e. the Easter Passover). Pascal was introduced into England, as a personal and family name, by the Norman knights after the Conquest started in 1066. Alternative spellings are: Pascoe, Pascow, Pascho.
Pasco is found as surname in Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, United States and France. Pasco is also a rare Italian surname found in Northern Italy: Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto and Tuscany . Both the Italian and the English surnames share the same Latin root and derive from Latin word Pascha.
The first ever Pasco known to history is Sir Welter Pasco.[better source needed] Welter changed his name from Pascal to Pasco after his father disowned him, for a reason which is unknown to history. His descendants became known as the Noble House of Pasco after their loyalty and service to the Crown of England. Most of the Titles held by Pascos were taken off them because of events in British history such as the English Civil War and William the Orange takeover of the Crown. The family name Pasco is now spread all over the world and has done quite well to survive 1000 years in European history.
Pasco may refer to:
- Pasco Bowman II (born 1933), American senior federal judge
- Crawford Atchison Denman Pasco (1818–1898) Royal Navy officer and Australian police magistrate during the 19th century, son of John Pasco
- Isabelle Pasco (born 1966), French actress and model
- John Pasco (1774–1853), British Admiral of Royal Navy
- Richard Edward Pasco (born 1926), British stage, screen and TV actor
- Samuel Pasco (1834–1917), United States Senator from Florida
- Merlin Owen Pasco (1892 - 1918), New Zealand entomologist
|This page lists people with the surname Pasco. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|