Pasir Mas (town)
|State||Kelantan Darul Naim|
|District||Pasir Mas District|
|Municipality status||2 May 2022 (Postpone)|
|• President||Mohamed Nor Husin|
|• Total||139 km2 (54 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)|
Pasir Mas was once the second biggest city in the state until the early 1990s when it was overtaken by Tanah Merah. The town is blocked from expanding to the east by the Kelantan River. To the north, the railway line splits the town - further limiting land suitable and desirable for commercial real estate development. 99.8% Malay 207,896 and 0.02% Chinese 42
Haphazard development over the past decades has resulted in the mushrooming of residential houses that encircle the town. This makes potential land acquisition for commercial development a complex and costly exercise. A new township is slowly taking shape about four miles away at the Mukim of Lubuk Jong - a previously swampy area along the road leading to Rantau Panjang.
According to legend, this area which is now known as Pasir Mas was first opened up by Che Leh Ismail who was also known as Che Leh Tok Pendekar. Che Leh Ismail was forced to shift to Pasir Mas from Kota Bharu when his land was taken over by the Sultan to build his palace.
During that time, a religious teacher from Bachok came to teach the Quran to the villagers in Pasir Mas. The religious teacher returned to Bachok after his teachings were completed. However, a few days after the religious teacher returned to Bachok, three pots of gold suddenly appeared in some bushes. The pots of gold then rolled into a pond at the fringe of the bushes. The villagers who witnessed this happening shouted "Mas! Mas!" (Malay for gold) Hence the place was subsequently called Pasir Mas. The word Pasir originated because there was a large field of sand at the bank of the Kelantan River, which was situated near Pasir Mas.
A public institution of higher learning; Kolej Kemahiran Tinggi MARA Pasir Mas (MARA Higher Vocational College); is located in the township of Tal Tujuh within the district. A Nurses Training College is located near the Pasir Mas Poliklinik, Jalan Hospital.
Notable people from Pasir Mas
- Neelofa, actress
- Siti Aisyah Rosli, National weightlifter
- Tunku Puan Zanariah, Tunku Puan of Johor and the 8th Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia
- Zulkifeli Mohd Zin, 18th and the former Chief of Malaysian Armed Forces
- "TABURAN PENDUDUK MENGIKUT PBT & MUKIM 2010". Department of Statistics, Malaysia. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Pasir Mas District Council : Background (Malay language)
- Sejarah Malaysia : Origins of Place Names : Pasir Mas Archived 2008-04-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "Fever not stopping Siti from bagging weightlifting gold - Sport | The Star Online". m.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Weightlifter Siti Aisyah breaks national 90kg record". Retrieved 13 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pasir Mas District.|