The term originates from the Greek party PASOK which saw a declining share of the vote in national elections from 44% in 2009 to 5% in 2015 due to its handling of the Greek government-debt crisis. At the same time, Syriza saw a growth in vote share and influence. Since then, it has been applied to similar declines for numerous other social democratic parties.
Pasokifikation may be seen in France by mid-2010s as in the 2015 French regional elections the Socialist Party became third party by received number of votes during first round of these elections (up until then the party took either first or second place by received number of votes). This party lost most of the seats in the 2017 parliamentary elections and received just about 10 per cent of votes during first round of elections. The 2017 presidential election was also unprecedented as neither candidate for the two traditional main parties (the Socialist Party and The Republicans) continued to the runoff round.
The Social Democratic Party (SPD) achieved its worst historical result at the 2017 federal election, obtaining a mere 20.5% of the share. In 2018, after the party joined a grand coalition government with Angela Merkel's party , the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), the third since 2005, it suffered a string of electoral setbacks at the Bavarian and Hessian state elections, where it lost its condition as the second largest party. Concurrently, the party scored as low as 14% in opinion polls conducted nationwide, being frequently outpolled by Alliance 90/The Greens (Grüne) and Alternative for Germany (AfD). The Free Democratic Party re-entered the federal parliament, while The Left (Die Linke) also made minor gains.
The Scottish Labour Party held the majority of Scotland's Westminster seats from the 1964 general election until the 2015 general election, where the Scottish National Party won 56 of the 59 seats in 2015 and then 35 of the 59 seats at the 2017 general election.
- "Why Labour is obsessed with Greek politics".
- "Jeremy Corbyn has defied his critics to become Labour’s best hope of survival".
- "How Greece's once-mighty Pasok party fell from grace".
- "Rose thou art sick".
- "Germany's SPD may have signed its death warrant". NewStatesman. 8 February 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Montebourg: «Le PS est sur la route du Pasok grec»".
- "Europe's centre-left parties poll below 20% for the first time ahead of EU elections". The Independent. 30 October 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- MacGuill, Dan. "Labour just had the worst election in its 104-year history". The Journal. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Dipartimento per gli Affari Interni e Territoriali". elezionistorico.interno.gov.it. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Kiesraad (2017-03-21). "Kerngegevens Tweede Kamerverkiezing 2017 - Rapport - Kiesraad.nl". www.kiesraad.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2019-02-23.