|Meaning||"associated with Passover (or Easter)"|
|Region of origin||Neolatin languages|
|Related names||Pasquale, Pascual, Pascuale, Pascal, Paschal, Pascoal, Pascale, Pascalle, Paschalis, Pasco, Pascoe|
Pasqual is the Catalan equivalent of the Spanish given name Pascual, and a Venetian variant of Italian given name Pasquale. Pasqual is also a surname found in Spain (especially in Catalan area including Andorrans, Valencians, Balearics) and in Italy (especially in Veneto, including Lombardy and Piedmont).
Pasqual, like Pasquale (Italian), Pascal (French), Pascoal (Portuguese) and Pascual (Spanish), derives from the Late Latin paschalis or pashalis, which means "relating to Easter" from Latin pascha ("Easter"), Greek Πάσχα, Aramaic pasḥā, in turn from the Hebrew pesach, which means "to be born on, or to be associated with, Passover day". Since the Hebrew holiday Passover coincides closely with the later Christian holiday of Easter, the Latin word came to be used for both occasions.
The names Pasquale, Paschal, Pascal, Pascale, Pascha, Pascoe and Pasco are all variations of Pasqual. The feminine form, rather rare, is Pasquala, Pasqualina, Pascale, Pascalle or Pascalina. As a surname in Italy Pasqual has many variations found all over the country: Pasquali, De Pasqual, Pascale, Pascali, Pascalis, De Pascal, De Pasquali, De Pasquale, Di Pasquale, Di Pascali, De Pasqualis, Pasqualin, Pasqualon. As a given name and surname in Spanish-speaking countries Pasqual is often spelled Pascual.
Pasqual may refer to:
- Pasqual Coco (born 1977), a former Dominican pitcher in Major League Baseball
- Pasqual Ferry (sometimes credited as Paschalis, Pascual or Pascal), a Spanish comic book artist and penciller
- Pasqual Maragall (born 1941), the 127th President of Generalitat de Catalunya
- Pasqual Sanchis Moscardó (born 1963), a Valencian pilota professional player
- Pasqual Scanu (1908 - 1978), an Italian writer in Catalan and Italian
- Ernest Benach i Pasqual (born 1959), a Catalan politician, President of the Catalan Parliament
- Keerthi Pasquel (born 1955), Sri Lankan Sinhala pop musician
- Manuel Pasqual (born 1982), an Italian footballer for ACF Fiorentina
- Sudath Prajiv Pasqual (born 1961), a former Sri Lankan cricketer
- Pasqual Maragall Foundation, a public foundation in Catalonia, Spain
- Pasqual, Romansh name of Paspels, municipality in the district of Hinterrhein in the Swiss canton of Graubünden.
- Battle of San Pasqual (also spelled San Pascual), a military encounter during the Mexican–American War
- San Pasqual Handicap, an American Thoroughbred horse race run at Santa Anita Park, California, United States
- San Pasqual High School (Escondido, California), a public high school in Escondido, California, United States
- San Pasqual Valley, a community of the city of San Diego, California, United States
- San Pasqual (disambiguation)
- Pascual (disambiguation)
- Pascal (disambiguation)
- Paschal (disambiguation)
- Pasquale (disambiguation)
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Pasqual.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.