Past & Present (journal)
|Edited by||Alexandra Walsham, Matthew Hilton|
Oxford University Press on behalf of the Past and Present Society (United Kingdom)
Past & Present is a British historical academic journal, which has been a leading force in the development of social history. Founded in 1952, the journal is published four times a year by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Past and Present Society, a British historical membership association and registered charity. The society also publishes a book series (Past and Present Publications), and sponsors occasional conferences and appoints postdoctoral fellows.
After the end of the Second World War, an emerging subfield of social history gradually became popular in history departments. The History Workshop movement, founded in the 1960s, aimed to become a platform for the study of "ordinary people".
Past & Present thus emerged in 1952 as an alternative to mainstream political history journals. It was founded in 1952 by a combination of Marxist and non-Marxist historians. The Marxist historians included members of the Communist Party Historians Group, including E. P. Thompson, Christopher Hill, Eric Hobsbawm, Raphael Samuel, Rodney Hilton, and Dona Torr. The journal previously had the subtitled A Journal of Scientific History. These figures often advocated History from Below in explaining the history of class, labour, and social relations.
The influence of Past & Present greatly expanded in the historical discipline after the publication of Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class in 1963.
- Charity Commission. The Past and Present Society , registered charity no. 802281.
- Griffin, Emma. [After the end of the Second World War, an emerging subfield of social history gradually became popular in history departments. "Working-Class History"] Check
|url=value (help). History Today.
- Woolf, Daniel (2011). A Global History of History. Cambridge University Press. p. 485.
- MacRaild, Donald; Taylor, Avram (2004). Social Theory and Social History. Macmillan International Higher Education.
- The Great War in Post-Memory Literature and Film. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG. 2014. p. 64.
- "Past and Present". Making History.
- Hill, Christopher; Hilton, R.H.; Hobsbawm, E.J. "Past and Present. Origins and Early Years". Past and Present, No. 100. (Aug., 1983), pp. 3–14.
- Le Goff, Jacques. "Past and Present. Later History". Past and Present, No. 100. (Aug., 1983), pp. 14–28.
|This article about a history journal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about academic journals. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.