Pat Carroll (singer)
Biography and career
Carroll began her entertainment career at age eight when she started taking singing and dancing lessons. Appearances on children's TV shows followed by the time she was eleven years old. She continued by appearing in musical comedy shows such as Carnival and Bye Bye Birdie.
In the mid-1960s Carroll and her friend Olivia Newton-John formed a singing duo called Pat and Olivia (see YouTube). Having won a song contest in Melbourne, they travelled to the United Kingdom. They achieved some success there on TV and in the clubs. After a period of performing there, Carroll's visa expired, forcing her to return to Australia where she would eventually marry ex-Strangers member, John Farrar. Newton-John stayed on and launched her own international career.
Carroll released a number of singles with W&G Records and Interfusion during the 1960s and early 1970s most of which failed to chart. Her most successful single in Australia was her cover of Dana's 1970 Eurovision winner "All Kinds of Everything". However Carroll's best known single is "To the Sun" on account of its featuring Cliff Richard on backing vocals.
At about 1970, Farrar quit the Strangers and with Carroll, returned to London. During 70s and 80s, she often sang backing vocals on Olivia Newton-John's albums.
Currently living in Malibu (USA) with husband John Farrar: her first son Sam Farrar (born 29 June 1978) is the bass player for American rock'n'roll band Phantom Planet. Her 2nd son Max Farrar is the keyboardist/guitarist for the rock 'n' roll band Azura.
- Pat Carroll A side singles on vinyl - (7") (W&G)
- He’s my Guy//He loves me too; [WG-S-2302].1964
- Where have you been//That's all you do; [WG-S-2388].1965
- Why do fools fall in love//the end of the world; [WG-S-2427].1965
- I Know (You don't want me no more)//Chained to a memory; [WG-S-2471].1965
- Here i am//Did he call Today Mama; [WG-S-2501].1965
- Don't come running back to me//You’re no good; [WG-S-2550].1965
- I Only Have Eyes for You//Eddie my love; [WG-S-2677].1966
- He’s a Rebel//Talk about love; [WG-s-8031).1966
- To the sun//Out of my mind; 7N25592(Pye)/ K-???? (Interfusion) -1972
- Riley's Brew//The March of the maple leaf; w/The Shannakeys; WG-3249; Melbourne; Canadian.
- Live love//To the Sun; ITFK-4836; (Interfusion) - 1972
- All Kinds of Everything//In your world; [FB-004]; (Fable); 1970
- Now I’m stuck on you//I'm not ready; K-5288 (Interfusion) - 1973
- Curly headed rooster//To the sun; K-5713 (Interfusion/WB) - 1974
- Pat Carroll EPs on vinyl
- The Many faces of Pat Carroll; [WG-E-2408].
- Pat Carroll Requests; [WG-E-2559].
- Pat Carroll guest vocals on
- (Cliff Richard) Live in Japan 1972 - ToshibaEMI - 2LP.
- (Cliff Richard) Cliff and Olivia Live - ToshibaEMI - 2LP.
- (Cliff Richard) Cliff Goes East - ??????? - 2LP.
- Noel McGrath's Australian Encyclopedia of Rock & Pop - 1978
- An Australian Rock Discography - Chris Spencer - 1990 - Moonlight Publishing
- The Who's Who of Australian Rock - Chris Spencer - Moonlight Publishing
- The Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop - Ian McFarlane - Allen & Unwin, Sydney - 1999
- Olivia Newton-John bio