|Known for||Helping turn Donegal into the "FC Barcelona of Gaelic football"|
|Term||2010 - present|
|Awards||2012 All-Ireland Champion|
Pat Shovelin is a Gaelic football coach from Ardara, County Donegal. He is currently the goalkeeping coach for the Donegal senior football team. He represents his local club Ardara. Donegal won the 2012 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final and are All-Ireland Champions, the highest achievement in the sport of Gaelic football.
As Donegal goalkeeping coach Shovelin is responsible for the training of county netminders Paul Durcan, Michael Boyle and Peter Boyle. He considers Durcan to be as influential as Peter Schmeichel.
Shovelin graduated through the ranks with manager Jim McGuinness, with the pair previously working together with the Donegal under-21 football team. He is married and had his first child on the Wednesday before Donegal won the 2012 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final.
- O'Shea, Joe (27 August 2012). "Donegal one step from Sam after 20-year wait". Irish Independent (Independent News & Media). Retrieved 27 August 2012.
Cork never really got going. Outnumbered, out-sung and watching a supposedly "negative" team suddenly transform themselves into the FC Barcelona of Gaelic Football, the Rebels were left muttering about "lads who didn't show up" and a manager who, to many of them at least, made some questionable calls...
- Craig, Frank. "Interview with Pat Shovlin: Keepers deserve their 'Pat' on the back". Ardara.
- "Donegal end search for new boss". Breaking News. 27 July 2010. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- "New Donegal boss". The Belfast Telegraph (Independent News & Media). 29 July 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Donegal GAA CLUB CALL". Donegal Democrat (Johnston Press). 17 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Live updates from the All-Ireland finals at Croke Park". RTÉ Sport (Raidió Teilifís Éireann). 23 September 2012. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Jackson, Lyle (23 September 2012). "Donegal 2-11 0-13 Mayo". BBC Sport (BBC). Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- McNulty, Chris (1 March 2013). "'Papa' set for 100th appearance". Donegal News. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
"I would liken his to the influence that Peter Schmeichel (the former Manchester United goalkeeper) used to have," says Shovelin. "He is a massive voice in the dressing room and a massive influence in the squad...Like Schmeichel used to, Paul can really control games. He is so good with his team-mates too, whether it's a senior player or a youngster." Shovelin began working with Durcan and Michael Boyle in the winter of 2010 following McGuinness's appointment.
- "Donegal U-21s hit by virus". Donegal Democrat (Johnston Press). 4 May 2010. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
Manager Jim McGuinness and his goalkeeping coach Pat Shovlin were also laid low with the bug, manager McGuinness confirmed after Saturday evening's game.
- "Paul Durcan". Gaelic life. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
Pat Shovlin is there. He was involved with the u-21s last year, was the goal-keeping coach for them, so Jim brought him along to the senior set-up.
- McGuinness, Jim. The Sunday Game. RTÉ Television. 23 September 2012.
- "Donegal Now". 2 April 2012.
Paddy McGrath, Conor Classon, Peter McNelis and Pat Shovlin all picked up medals off the back of Donegal senior and U21 successes.