Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Written by||Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Story by||Charan Singh Pathik|
|Music by||Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
Vishal Bhardwaj Films
|Distributed by||B4U Motion Pictures|
|Box office||7.11 cr|
Pataakha (transl. Firecracker; Hindi pronunciation: [pəʈaːkʰaː]) is a 2018 Indian Hindi comedy-drama film directed by Vishal Bhardwaj about two sisters who share a difficult relationship with each other. Based on Charan Singh Pathik's short story titled Do Behnein, the film features Sanya Malhotra, debutant Radhika Madan, Sunil Grover, Saanand Verma and Vijay Raaz in lead roles and was scheduled to have its theatrical release on 28 September 2018.
Badki (Radhika Madan) and Chhutki (Sanya Malhotra) live in a small town in Rajasthan. They are sisters who quarrel about everything from stolen bidis to torn clothes. Dipper (Sunil Grover) is their nosy neighbour, who is always on the lookout for an opportunity to make the sisters go to war, while their father (Vijay Raaz), a single parent, is always trying to make peace between the warring sisters.
- Sanya Malhotra as Genda 'Chhutki' Kumari
- Radhika Madan as Champa 'Badki' Kumari
- Sunil Grover as Dipper Naradmuni
- Vijay Raaz as Bechara Bapu
- Saanand Verma as Tharki Patel
- Lankesh Bhardwaj as Govt.Officer
- Namit Das as Jagan
- Abhishek Duhan as Vishnu
- Sameer Khakkar as Sarpanch
- Usha Nagar as Grandmother
- Malaika Arora (special appearance in song "Hello Hello")
Impressed with Charan Singh Pathik's short story Do Behnein (Two Sisters) published by Sahitya Kala Academy, Vishal Bhardwaj decided to purchase the rights of the story and turn it into a film. In December 2017 it was reported that Kriti Sanon was the first choice of the director for the role of the younger sister and the actress had even auditioned for the part but talks did not go through. For the role of the elder sister a number of actresses including Parineeti Chopra, Bhumi Pednekar, Sonakshi Sinha, Vaani Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor were auditioned but none of them were finalized. In March 2018, Sanya Malhotra was finalized for the role of Genda Kumari, the younger sister, while in April 2018 television actress Radhika Madan was selected to play Champa Kumari, the elder sister, a role for which over 60 girls were auditioned. On 17 April 2018, it was reported that Vijay Raaz and Sunil Grover had been signed to be a part of the film. While Vijay was selected to play the role of the father of the two sisters in the film, Sunil's role was described as that of a person who instigates fights between the sisters.
As part of preparation for the role, Sanya Malhotra and Radhika Madan stayed in Ronsi village near Jaipur in Rajasthan and apart from learning the Rajasthani dialect, the actresses also got accustomed with milking Buffaloes, thatching roofs, plastering the walls with dung and walking for long distances while balancing matkas full of water on their head and one around their waist. Sanya and Radhika also had to put on 10 kgs of weight for the second part of the story where both of them are married and have a child each. Initially the film was titled Chhuriyaan (English: Knives) but was later on changed to Pataakha (English: Firecracker) because Vishal Bhardwaj, the director of the film, felt that it might confuse the audience considering the multiple meanings that can be derived from it if not pronounced correctly.
The principal photography of the film began in Udaipur, Rajasthan at the end of April 2018. The first schedule of the film came to an end on 16 May 2018. The final schedule of filming began in Mount Abu on 29 June 2018 and was completed on 12 July 2018. The item song which featuring Malaika Arora, cheographed by Ganesh Acharya will filming in end of August. 
|Soundtrack album by Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Released||12 September 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Vishal Bhardwaj chronology|
|1.||"Balma"||Rekha Bhardwaj, Sunidhi Chauhan||3:51|
|3.||"Hello Hello"||Rekha Bhardwaj||3:27|
|4.||"Naina Banjare"||Arijit Singh||3:31|
|5.||"Gali Gali"||Sukhwinder Singh||3:41|
- "Pataakha | British Board of Film Classification". www.bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- "Pataakha box office collection". NDTV.
- Jain, Arushi (15 August 2018). "Pataakha trailer: The Vishal Bhardwaj film is a whole new ball game". The Indian Express. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "In Pataakha's warring sisters, Vishal Bhardwaj sees Indo-Pak rishta". The Times of India.
- "Dangal girl Sanya Malhotra returns to kick start a new fight with Pataakha first poster". Hindustan Times.
- "Pataakha: 'Dangal' girl Sanya Malhotra and Radhika Madan wrap up the Vishal Bhardwaj film". dna. 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Pataakha announcement! Sanya Malhotra, Radhika Madan, Sunil Grover's film trailer will be out on 15th August!". Box Office India. 2018-08-10. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Malaika Arora Khan to do special song in Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Pataakha'". Deccan Chronicle. 21 August 2018. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Malaika Arora to do an item song for Pataakha. Let's take a look at Malaika's all time chartbusters". Pinkvilla. 21 August 2018. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj drawn to the story of two warring sisters". The Times of India.
- "Kriti Sanon to feature in Vishal Bhardwaj's next about sibling rivalry". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj auditions Kriti Sanon for his next". Filmfare.
- "Sanya Malhotra bags Vishal Bhardwaj film Churiyan". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj on Chhuriyaan: Looking forward to directing Sanya Malhotra and Radhika Madan". Indian Express.
- "Sanya Malhotra and Radhika Madan are the leading ladies of Vishal Bhardwaj's next film". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Sunil Grover in Vishal Bhardwaj's Chhuriyaan alongside Sanya Malhotra, Radhika Madan". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Sunil Grover roped in for Vishal Bhardwaj's Chhuriyaan". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Chhuriyan' renamed 'Pataakha', will be out on September 28". Scroll.
- "Sanya Malhotra, Radhika Madan in Vishal Bhardwaj's next". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj's Pataakha opens on September 28". Mumbai Mirror.
- "This is why Sanya Malhotra is gaining weight for Vishal Bhardwaj's film". Hindustan Times.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj's Chhuriyaan with Sanya Malhotra renamed Pataakha; will release on September 28". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj's upcoming film 'Chhuriyaan' has been renamed 'Pataakha'". The Times of India.
- "Shooting of Vishal Bhardwaj's movie Chhuriyaan begins in Udaipur". Udaipur Times.
- "Sanya Malhotra, Radhika Madan, Sunil Grover wrap up the first schedule of Vishal Bhardwaj's Chhuriyaan". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj's Pataakha Shoot Wrapped Up". News18.
- "Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Pataakha' shoot wrapped up". The Times of India.
- "Vishal Bharadwaj's Pataakha". The Hindu.
- "Malaika Arora To Set The Big Screen On Fire With An Item Number In Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Pataakha'!". India Times.
- "Malaika Arora to feature in an ITEM number in the Vishal Bhardwaj film Pataakha". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Pataakha – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Saavn.
- "Pataakha Official Trailer". B4U Motion Pictures.
- "'Pataakha' trailer: Sisters go to war in Vishal Bhardwaj's new movie". Scroll.