Patch Barracks was renamed from the German Kurmärker Kaserne in 1952; it was originally built for use by the German Army Wehrmacht in 1936/37. During World War II, it served as the headquarters and barracks for the Wehrmacht's 7th Panzer Regiment with associated unit shooting ranges and training areas located at the nearby Panzer Kaserne (literally "tank barracks"). After the Second World War, Kurmärker Kaserne was temporarily occupied by French colonial troops. Subsequently, American troops took over the facility, which hosted the US Constabulary during the multilateral occupation of Germany following World War II. The US 7th Army was headquartered here  from 1950 until 1967 when EUCOM was relocated to Patch from Camp-de-Loges near Paris, France. 7th Army relocated to Heidelberg.
Current Units Assigned
- US European Command (EUCOM), the Department of Defense Unified Combatant Command for Europe & Northern Asia.
- Special Operations Command, Europe (SOCEUR), which commands US Special Operations Forces units in Europe.
- Defense Information Systems Agency
- Defense Information Technology Contracting Organization
- NSA/CSS Representative Europe office (NCEUR).
AFRICOM was started as a cell within EUCOM and then separated and assigned to nearby Kelley Barracks. The main community PX was relocated to nearby Panzer Kaserne in 2007 due to a lack of parking for both EUCOM staff and the PX shoppers. Other recent activity includes renovations to the housing on base. A highly conspicuous 314-foot (96 m) radio tower familiar to generations of staff and visitors was dismantled in May 2009.
- "J--Installation Maintenance Contract for the U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart, Solicitation Number: W564KV12R0017". Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- US European Command
- Home page of the US Army Garrison Stuttgart
- General Information about the Stuttgart Military Community
- Official Stuttgart Military Community Newspaper
- Stuttgart VVS public transit map for the Patch area
- Installation Guide for the Stuttgart Military Community
- Stuttgart Community Spouses Club
- Stuttgart Subjects at Toytown Germany- an English-language community website for Germany.
- Patch Barracks on GlobalSecurity.org