Paterson Catholic High School
|Paterson Catholic High School|
|764 Eleventh Avenue
Paterson, NJ, (Passaic County) 07514
|Motto||Strength Through Faith & Knowledge|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Diocese of Paterson|
|President||Mary D. Baier|
|Faculty||22.6 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||303 (as of 2009-10)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.4:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Bergen-Passaic Scholastic League|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Dean of Discipline||Crystal Cox-Tober|
|Athletic Director||James Slezak|
Paterson Catholic High School was a private four year Catholic high school located in Paterson, New Jersey that served students from 9th through 12th grade. It was under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson. Due to dwindling enrollment and monetary problems, the Paterson Diocese closed Paterson Catholic at the end of the 2009-10 school year.
The Sports teams at Paterson Catholic were nicknamed the Cougars, and both the men's and women's teams participated in the Bergen-Passaic Scholastic League. The Cougars had a very strong athletic history capturing many league and state titles in different sports and producing many college and even professional athletes.
The team's title in 2007 was its fifth since playoffs were instituted in 1974, joining Wayne Hills High School and Passaic High School as one of only three teams in Passaic County to have won five sectional championships.
- Victor Cruz (born 1986), wide receiver for the New York Giants.
- Kyle Anderson (born 1993), NBA player who transferred when school closed.
- Kevin Freeman (born 1978), former professional basketball player.
- James Gallagher, member of the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
- Stanley Jackson (born 1975), former professional quarterback.
- Jason Perry (born 1976), former safety in the NFL from 1999 to 2002.
- Jordan Theodore (born 1989), professional basketball player who currently plays for the Frankfurt Skyliners of the German Basketball League.
- Tim Thomas (born 1977, Class of 1996), NBA player 
- Darryl Watkins (born 1984), NBA player.
- T. J. Clemmings (born 1991), offensive lineman for the Minnesota Vikings.
- Paterson Catholic High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed June 21, 2011.
- MSA-CSS. "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". Archived from the original on February 12, 2011. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
- Naanes, Marlene. "Paterson Catholic to close by end of school year", The Record (Bergen County), April 21, 2010. Accessed June 21, 2011. "Paterson Catholic Regional High School, which has prided itself for four decades on serving some of the area’s poorest and immigrant families, will close its doors the diocese said Wednesday, citing enormous debt, plummeting donations and a bad economy."
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Zagoria, Adam. "Wayne Hills, PC each join 'elite' status with fifth state crowns", Herald News, December 2, 2007. Accessed December 3, 2007.
- Idec, Keith. "Paterson's Victor Cruz gets a chance with the Giants", The Record (Bergen County), April 25, 2010. Accessed September 19, 2011. "Cruz also knew the Giants are loaded at receiver, so the former Paterson Catholic star figured he’d choose from among Carolina, Chicago, Kansas City and Tampa Bay once he wasn’t drafted.... Cruz will become the first Paterson Catholic graduate to sign an NFL contract since Jason Perry, a fourth-round draft pick who played safety for San Diego from 1999-2001."
- Tyler, Max. "St. Anthony prodigy Kyle Anderson expected to be drafted to NBA in first round", The Jersey Journal, June 26, 2014. Accessed January 25, 2015. "Anderson went 65-0 over his junior and senior seasons at St. Anthony (he played at the now-defunct Paterson Catholic in his first two seasons), leading the Friars to two Non-Public B state championships and a couple of Tournament of Champions titles."
- Staff. "Freeman joins UConn men's coaching staff", Connecticut Post, November 5, 2011. Accessed November 5, 2011. "Freeman is a native of Springfield, Mass., and was an all-state high school performer at Paterson Catholic in New Jersey. Kevin and his wife, Nicole, have a daughter, Kekoa, and a son, Sire."
- Moran, Malcolm. "FOOTBALL; Winning Everything but the Fans", The New York Times, October 8, 1997. Accessed November 5, 2011. "As Jackson, from Paterson Catholic High School in New Jersey, progressed through the Buckeye depth charts, two junior college quarterbacks, Germaine and Mark Garcia, were brought in behind him."
- Jason Perry, database Football. Accessed February 17, 2008.
- Medcalf, Myron. "Get to know: Seton Hall's Jordan Theodore", ESPN, December 28, 2011. Accessed March 27, 2016. "So the single parent sent the Seton Hall senior from Englewood, N.J., to Paterson Catholic high school in Paterson, N.J., where he blossomed during the final two years of his prep career."
- "Sixers Sign Thomas to 3-Year Deal", The New York Times, July 11, 1997. Accessed December 3, 2007. "The 6-foot-9-inch, 230-pound Thomas, from Paterson Catholic in New Jersey, averaged 16.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 32 games as a freshman last year at Villanova."
- Sullivan, William J. "Former Paterson Catholic star Darryl Watkins signs with San Antonio Spurs", The Star-Ledger, September 17, 2008. Accessed September 19, 2011. "Darryl Watkins, a standout center at Paterson Catholic who played collegiately at Syracuse, has signed with the San Antonio Spurs, the team announced on its website Wednesday."
- "T. J. Clemmings goes to Vikings in 4th round."