This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pathanapuram Engineering College
|Named for||elephant town|
|• Body||Gram panchayath|
|• Total||24.20 km2 (9.34 sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, Tamil|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Nearest city||Pathanamthitta Punalur|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Mavelikara|
The history of Pathanapuram goes back to Thenmala Desam, a small Principality under a local ruler. Capital was at Pathanapuram. Later, Thenmala Desom became a part of Elayidathu Swaroopam having its capital at Kottarakkara. Pathanapuram was the capital of one of the two districts of Elayidathu Swaroopam. In 1764, King Marthandavarma conquered Elayidathu Swaroopam and annexed it to Travancore. Most parts of Pathanapuram taluk were inhabited since before the Indus Valley Civilization, and civilization may have existed in and around Pathanapuram beginning the 1st Century. The name Pathanapuram may have evolved from the fact that the area had a sizeable elephant population and elephants were caught and trained/tamed for work at the elephant cage/camp at the Town. The Old police station area used to be the elephant Camp. The name can be translated as Path =(10)+Ana = (elephant) + Puram = (Town)
Pathanapuram is spread over an area of 24.20 km2 (9.34 sq mi).
As of 2011[update] census of India, Pathanapuram Panchayat had a population of 32,339. The total population constitute, 15,129 males and 17,210 females —a sex ratio of 1138 females per 1000 males. 3,052 children are in the age group of 0–6 years, of which 1,536 are boys and 1,516 are girls —a ratio of 987 per 1000. The average literacy rate stands at 92.94% with 27,218 literates.
The area is connected to the rest of the state by bus services of KSRTC. The nearest railway stations to the town are Chengannur, Kollam, Kayamkulam, Punalur and Avaneeswaram. KSRTC depot also situated in Pathanapuram near Forest Range Office. Nearest airport is Trivandrum (80 km).
Pathanapuram assembly constituency is a part of the Mavelikkara Loksabha Constituency. Kodikunnil Suresh is the present member of parliament who won the 2014 Indian general election. Current M.L.A of Pathanapuram is actor turned politician K. B. Ganesh Kumar. He has won from this constituency in the 2001, 2006, 2011 as UDF Candidate and in 2016 Assembly election as LDFCandidate .
This is a list of educational institutions in Pathanapuram.
- St.Stephen's HSS Pathaathanapuram
- Mount Tabor Girls HSS Pathanapuram
- MTLPS Pathanapuram
- Mount Tabor Training College Pathanapuram
- Mother Susan EMLPS Pathanapuram
- Al-Ameen Public School Pathanapuram
- St.Mary's Senior Secondary School Pathanapuram
- St.Stephen's College
- University Institute Of Technology Pathanapuram
- College of engineering Pathanapuram
- Govt.Nadukkunnu UPS
- Govt. Nedumparamp LPS pathanapuram
- Gov HSS Edathara
- "District Census Handbook - Kollam" (PDF). Census of India. p. 138. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 20 October 2008.
- "Election 2011: Pathanapuram Constituency Result". India Ballot. Archived from the original on 24 February 2012.
- "Pathanapuram election results". Newsreporter.in. 13 May 2011.