|Platform(s)||Linux, macOS, Microsoft Windows|
|Release||25 September 2018|
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an isometric role-playing game developed by Owlcat Games and published by Deep Silver, based on Paizo Publishing's Pathfinder franchise. Announced through a Kickstarter campaign in 2017, the game was released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux on September 25th, 2018.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker widely follows the Pathfinder Adventure Path of the same name published in 2010. It is set within the Stolen Lands, part of the greater region of the River Kingdoms south of Brevoy, which is in turn part of Golarion, the default setting of Pathfinder. It features the player carving their own realm out amongst the wilderness as a local lord, and expands upon the corresponding Kingmaker tabletop module.
The gameplay will be modelled on the Pathfinder role-playing game along with classic computer RPGs such as Baldur's Gate; it features a real-time-with-pause combat system and an isometric perspective. The game's main distinguishing feature will be its emphasis on realm-building; a player's decisions as a local lord affects gameplay. Character customisation is also planned to be a key feature, along with an alignment system where a character's alignment can change due to player choice. While the player begins with only one character of their creation, the game is party-based as companions join them along the way; these include both established Pathfinder characters and newly-invented characters. The game is estimated to last around 40 hours.
Following the game's announcement, Owlcat announced they were considering different funding avenues. This culminated in the June 2017 launch of the Kickstarter campaign, which was billed as for expanding the game rather than funding it. The campaign ended by the end of the month after raising US$909,057. Chris Avellone, an acclaimed scriptwriter for other role-playing games, contributed to the game. The game was published by Deep Silver and was released on 25 September 2018.
- "Pathfinder: Kingmaker: the first CRPG in Pathfinder universe". Owlcat Games. My.com. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Wilson, Jason (31 May 2017). "Pathfinder: Kingmaker launches $500,000 Kickstarter for extra content, not the base game (update)". GamesBeat. VentureBeat. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Pathfinder: Kingmaker by Owlcat Games". Kickstarter. Kickstarter. 7 June 2017. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Hall, Charlie (26 June 2017). "Pathfinder will finally get its own isometric RPG thanks to successful Kickstarter". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Fillari, Alessandro (6 June 2017). "Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Rides The Wave Of Nostalgia And The CRPG Renaissance". Gamespot. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Kaiser, Rowan (9 June 2017). "Pathfinder: Kingmaker could scratch your D&D RPG itch". IGN. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Cosimano, Mike (2 July 2017). "Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a surprisingly faithful adaptation of tabletop RPGs". Destructoid. Enthusiast Gaming. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- O'Connor, Alice (17 May 2017). "Pathfinder: Kingmaker bringing tabletop RPG to PC". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Tarason, Dominic (20 July 2018). "Baldur's Gate-ish pen & paper adaptation Pathfinder: Kingmaker due September 25th". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Pathfinder: Kingmaker for PC". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- "Pathfinder: Kingmaker for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 25, 2018.