The Patiala gharana is one of the gharanas of vocal Hindustani classical music. It was founded by Ustad Fateh Ali Khan and Ustad Ali Baksh Khan (known as Alia-fattu) and was initially sponsored by the Maharaja of Patiala, Punjab and was known for ghazal, thumri, and khyal styles of singing.
This gharana tends to favor pentatonic ragas for their ornamentation and execution of intricate taans. Ektaal and Teentaal are the most common taals chosen by members of this gharana. Besides khyal, the singing of thumri of Punjab Ang is
The special feature of Patiala Gharana is its rendering of taans. These are very rhythmic, vakra (complicated) and Firat Taanas, and are not bound by the rhythmic cycle. Taans with clear aakar are presented not through the throat but through the naad/naabhi(naval).
While singing khayal the khatka and murki are utilized, and the presentation of the khayal is embellished with bol-banav, bol-taan, sargam, meend and keeping to the laya and rhythmic cycle.
Because of unique taans, gamak, gayaki of tarana style and sapat taans, this gharana can be easily differentiated from others.
- Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
- Shiv Dayal Batish
- Kumar Mukherjee
- Ustad Bade Fateh Ali Khan (father of Ustad Ashiq Ali Khan )
- Ustad Mohammad Hussain Sarahang
- Ustad Ali Baksh Ali Baksh (Father of (Ustad Akhtar Hussain Khan )
- Ustad Ali Baksh Khan of Kasur Gharana
- Ustad Barkat Ali Khan
- Ustad Munawar Ali Khan son of (Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan)
- Ustad Mazhar Ali Khan grandson of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
- Ustad Jawaad Ali Khan grandson of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
- Naqqi Ali Khan grandson of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
- Ustad Raza Ali Khan grandson of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
- Ustad Fateh Ali Khan
- Ustad Amanat Ali Khan
- Ustad Hamid Ali Khan
- Ustad Asad Amanat Ali Khan
- Ustad Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan
- Mohammad Aizaz Sohail
- Ghulam Ali
- Sajjad Ali
- Jagdish Prasad
- Johar Ali Khan
- Lakshmi Shankar
- Munawar Ali Khan, son of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
- Nirmala Devi
- Prasun Banerjee
- Parveen Sultana
- Samrat Pandit
- Sanjukta Ghosh
- Mohammad Hussain Sarahang from Afghanistan
- Vasantrao Deshpande
- Rahul Deshpande
- Som Dutt Battu
- , Patiala Gharana's history on worldsingerbook.com, Retrieved 11 Feb 2016
- https://indianraga.wordpress.com/tag/patiala-gharana/, Patiala Gharana 'Profile' on Indian Raga website, published 12 June 2010, Retrieved 11 Feb 2016
- http://www.dawn.com/news/301007/classical-music-has-healing-effect-on-listeners, Article on Patiala Gharana in Dawn newspaper, 'Classical music has healing effect on listeners', published 3 May 2008, Retrieved 11 Feb 2016
- Sharma, Manorama (2006). Tradition of Hindustani Music (2006 ed.). New Delhi: A.P.H. Publishing Corporation. pp. 113–114,160–161. ISBN 8176489999. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Ganesh, Deepa (Mar 20, 2003). "His master's voice". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 August 2017.