|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
Patient-centered outcomes are outcomes from medical care that are important to patients. The medical community/research focuses on the standard metrics related to survival and physiological outcomes (how well is the part of the body being treated?). In patient-centered outcomes research, they also focus on outcomes important to patients such as quality of life. In other words, the care experience is viewed through the eyes of patients and their support groups to ensure that their concerns are also addressed.
United States health policy
Patient-centered outcomes research was mandated by Section 6301 of the United States Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which established the private, nonprofit Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute to set a national agenda for identifying priorities in patient-centered outcomes research that will help healthcare providers and payers make informed decisions about how to treat patients effectively without wasteful overspending.
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- The Patient: Patient Centered Outcomes Research
- Curtis, JR (1998). "The 'patient-centered' outcomes of critical care: What are they and how should they be used?". New horizons 6 (1): 26–32. PMID 9508255.
- Digioia, Anthony; Lorenz, Holly; Greenhouse, Pamela K.; Bertoty, David A.; Rocks, Suzanne D. (2010). "A Patient-Centered Model to Improve Metrics Without Cost Increase". Journal of Nursing Administration 40 (12): 540–6. doi:10.1097/NNA.0b013e3181fc1. PMID 21084890.
- Davis, Caralyn (30 March 2010). "Health reform targets patient-centered outcomes". FierceHealthcare. FierceMarkets.
- Aston, Geri (November 2009). "Comparative Effectiveness (Why Does It Matter to You?)". Hospitals & Health Networks. Health Forum (American Hospital Association).
- Mapi Research Trust (non-profit organization involved in Patient-Centered Outcomes)
- ProQolid (Patient-Reported Outcome & Quality of Life Instruments Database)
- PROLabels(Database on Patient-Reported Outcome claims in marketing authorizations)