||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- This article incorporates "medical abuse", which has a similar meaning but relates more specifically to harmful medical treatment rather than care in general, and may include victims who did not choose to be patients.
Patient abuse or neglect is any action or failure to act which causes unreasonable suffering, misery or harm to the patient. It includes physically striking or sexually assaulting a patient. It also includes withholding of necessary food, physical care, and medical attention. It can occur in settings such as hospitals, nursing homes, clinics and home visits.
- Aggression in healthcare
- Blacklisting of patients by doctors
- Bullying in medicine
- Bullying in nursing
- Category:Health care professionals convicted of murdering patients
- Doctor-patient relationship
- Medical harm
- Medical malpractice
- Medical torture
- Political abuse of psychiatry
- Unethical human experimentation
- Never events
- Professional abuse
- Foster care#Abuse and negligence
- Winterbourne View hospital abuse
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100527091023/http://doj.nh.gov/medicaid/whatispan.html. Archived from the original on May 27, 2010. Retrieved October 14, 2010. Missing or empty
- "Patient abuse - nurse struck off". BBC News. 30 April 2003.
- "Doctor faces court-martial in patient abuse case". Stars and Stripes. 16 January 2010.
- Bostwick JS The Patient Abuse and Neglect of Our Vulnerable Adults: America's Shame (2008)
- Caron NK Impact of effectiveness in implementation of the patient abuse reporting law on the reporting of "physical abuse, mistreatment, neglect" in residential health care facilities (1981)
- Close BA, Greenberg MS, Morgenstern BR Nursing Home Patient Abuse - Realities and Remedies (1981)
- Costa, MD Gynocide: Hysterectomy, Capitalist Patriarchy, and the Medical Abuse of Women (2007)
- Mackay T Without Due Care - An Australian Hospital Tragedy (2010)
- Shannon JM Patient abuse law: the reality (1983)
- Sundram CJ Patient abuse and mistreatment in psychiatric centers: a policy for reporting apparent crimes to and response by law enforcement agencies (1985)
- Thomas G Journey into madness:the true story of secret CIA mind control and medical abuse (1989)
- Armstrong B A Question of Abuse: Where Staff and Patient Rights Collide - Hosp Community Psychiatry 1979 May;30(5):348-51.
- Burkin K, Kleiner BH (1998) "Protecting the whistleblower: preventing retaliation following a report of patient abuse in health-care institutions", Health Manpower Management, Vol.24 Issue 3 Pages 119-124
- Gutheil TG Patient Abuse - Hosp Community Psychiatry 35:832, August 1984
- Isaacman SH Patient Abuse in Rural Midwestern Pregnant Women? - Archives of Family Medicine, 1993;2(4):351.
- LaRocco SA Patient Abuse Should Be Your Concern - Journal of Nursing Administration April 1985 - Volume 15 Issue 4 Pages 27-31
- LaRocco SA A case of patient abuse - American Journal of Nursing: November 1985 - Volume 85 Issue 11 Pages 1233-1236
- Santistevan A, Deiker T Asking the Patient About Abuse and Neglect-Five-Point Plan, Las Vegas (NM) Medical Center 1988
- Sundram CJ Obstacles to Reducing Patient Abuse in Public Institutions Hosp Community Psychiatry 35:238-243, March 1984