Patna High Court
|The High Court of Judicature at Patna
पटना उच्च न्यायालय
Seal of the court
|Established||22 March 1912|
|Composition method||Presidential assent on advice of the Chief Justice of India with consultation of Governor of Bihar|
|Authorized by||Constitution of India|
|Decisions are appealed to||Supreme Court of India|
|Judge term length||mandatory retirement by age of 62|
|Currently||Hon. Justice Mr. L. Narasimha Reddy since 2 Jan 2015|
Patna High Court is the High Court of the state of Bihar. It was established on 3 February 1916 and later affiliated under the Government of India Act 1915. The court is headquartered in Patna, the administrative capital of the state.
History of Court
Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912. The foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on Monday, 1 December 1913 by His Excellency the late Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Sir Charles Hardinge of Penshurst. The Patna High Court building on its completion was formally opened by the same Viceroy on 3 February 1916. Hon. Sir Justice Edward Maynard Des Champs Chamier was the first Chief Justice of Patna High Court. Starting 18 April 2015, the Patna High Court has planned year long centenary celebrations of 100 years of establishment and the occasion was inaugurated by the President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee chaired by the Governor of Bihar Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi and Chief Justice of India, Justice Mr.H. L. Dattu and the Chief Justice of Patna High Court Justice Mr.L. Narasimha Reddy
- 1912 - Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912.
- 1913 - Foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on 1 December 1913.
- 1916 - Patna High Court building completed on 3 February 1916. The High Court actually commenced work from 1 March 1916.
- 1948 - Patna High Court exercised jurisdiction over the territories of the Province of Bihar & Orissa till 26 July 1948, when a separate High Court was constituted for Orissa.
- 1972 - Patna High Court opened a Circuit Bench at Ranchi.
- 1976 - Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Permanent Bench.
- 2000 - Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Jharkhand High Court on November 2000, under the Bihar Reorganisation Act, 2000.
- 2015 - Centenary Celebrations starting 18 April 2015.
The Chief Justice
The present Chief Justice (Acting) of Patna High Court is Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari.
Prominent Judges of Patna High Court
- Hon. Ms. Justice Rekha Doshit, the Chief Justice of Patna High Court; and the first woman to hold this coveted office.
- Hon. Sir Edward Maynerd Des Champs Chamier is the first Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Hon. Pandit Lakshami Kant Jha was the first Indian Chief Justice of Patna High Court after independence.
- Hon. Mrs. Justice Indu Prabha Singh, the first lady judge of Patna High Court, holds the distinction of being the first woman to hold court at Patna High Court and its Ranchi Bench.
- Hon. Mrs. Justice Gyan Sudha Misra, the second lady judge of Patna High Court, is the first woman judge of the Supreme Court of India from Bihar.
- This High Court has given two Chief Justices of India, viz.
- Hon. Mr. Justice Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha, the 6th Chief Justice of India
- Hon. Mr. Justice Lalit Mohan Sharma, the 24th Chief Justice of India
|Hon. Judge||Date of Elevation||Date of Retirement||Source of Recruitment||Remarks|
|The Hon. Justice Iqbal A. Ansari, The Acting Chief Justice||04, March 2002||29, October 2016||Service||Judge, Gauhati High Court from 04-03-2002. Transferred to Patna High Court on 11-11-13. Acting Chief Justice, Patna High Court from 14-12-14 to 01-01-2015 and from 01-08-15 till date.|
|The Hon. Justice Navaniti Prasad Singh||06, March, 2006||05, November 2017||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Ramesh Kumar Datta||06, March 2006||31, December 2016||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Samarendra Pratap Singh||09, October 2006||01, August 2017||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi||09, October 2006||11, November 2019||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Kishore Kumar Mandal||10, July 2007||21, January 2018||Bar|
|The Hon. Dr. Justice Ravi Ranjan||14, July 2008||19, December 2022||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Anjana Prakash||13, June 2009||16, July 2016||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Jyoti Saran||13, June 2009||18, August 2019||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Rakesh Kumar||25, December 2009||31, December 2020||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Birendra Prasad Verma||18, February 2010||16, January 2017||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Dinesh Kumar Singh||18, February 2010||02, October 2020||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Akhilesh Chandra||15 Mar 2010||14 Mar 2015||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Gopal Prasad||15 Mar 2010||5 July 2016||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Mungeshwar Sahoo||15 Mar 2010||31 Oct 2017||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Hemant Kumar Srivastava||12 Aug 2010||1 Feb 2021||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Vijayendra Nath||20 June 2011||12 Aug 2017||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Shivaji Pandey||20 June 2011||7 May 2021||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Ashwani Kumar Singh||20 June 2011||31 October 2022||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Vikash Jain||20 June 2011||17 Feb 2022||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Ahsanuddin Amanullah||20 June 2011||10 May 2025||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Aditya Kumar Trivedi||20 June 2011||10 Aug 2020||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Rajendra Kumar Mishra||20 June 2011||Oct 2021||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Chakradhari Sharan Singh||05 Apr 2012||Jan 2025||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Prabhat Kumar Jha||21 Apr 2014||Jul 2021||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Jeetendra Mohan Sharma||21 Apr 2014||2018||Service|
|The Hon. Justice Anjana Mishra||15 May 2014||2020||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Nilu Agrawal||15 Apr 2015||Aug 2019||Bar|
|The Hon. Justice Sudhir Singh||15 Apr 2015||10 Dec 2027||Bar|
List of the Former Chief Justices of Patna High Court 
|Name of Hon. the Chief Justice||From (dd.mm.yyyy)||TO (dd.mm.yyyy)|
|Hon. L Narasimha Reddy||02.01.2015||31.07.2015|
|Hon. Rekha Manharlal Doshit||21.06.2010||13.12.2014|
|Hon. Shri Dipak Misra||23.12.2009||24.06.2010||Elevated to Supreme Court on 10/10/2011|
|Hon. Shri Prafulla Kumar Mishra||19.08.2009|
|Hon. Shri R.M. Lodha||13.05.2008||16.12.2008|
|Hon. Shri Rajesh Balia||05.01.2008||03.03.2008|
|Hon. Dr. J.N. Bhatt||18.07.2005||16.10.2007|
|Hon. Shri Ravi S. Dhavan||25.1.2000||22.7.2004|
|Hon. Shri B.M. Lal||9.7.1997||6.10.1999|
|Hon. Shri D.P. Wadhwa||29.9.1995||21.3.1997|
|Hon. Shri G.P. Patnaik||19.5.1995||11.9.1995|
|Hon. Shri K. Venkataswamy||19.9.1994||6.3.1995|
|Hon. Shri K. S. Paripoornan||24.1.1994||11.6.1994|
|Hon. Shri Bimal Chandra Basak||18.3.1991||21.10.1994|
|Hon. Shri Gangadhar Ganesh Sohani||24.10.1989||17.12.1990 Afternoon|
|Hon. Shri Shushil Kumar Jha||19.10.1989||23.10.1989|
|Hon. Shri Dipak Kumar Sen||1.5.1988||1.5.1989|
|Hon. Shri Bhagwati Prasad Jha||2.1.1988||2.1.1988 Afternoon|
|Hon. Shri Surjit Singh Sandhawalia||29.11.1983||27.7.1987|
|Hon. Shri Krishna Ballabh Narayan Singh||19.7.1976||12.3.1982 Afternoon|
|Hon. Shri Shyam Nandan Prasad Singh||3.10.1974||1.5.1976|
|Hon. Shri Nand Lall Untwalia||29.9.1972||3.10.1974|
|Hon. Shri Ujjal Narayan Sinha||5.9.1970||29.9.1972|
|Hon. Shri Satish Chandra Mishra||9.11.1968||5.9.1970|
|Hon. Shri Ramaswamy Lakshmi Narasimhan||4.1.1965||2.8.1968 Afternoon|
|Hon. Shri Vaidyanathier Ramaswami||30.4.1956||4.1.1965|
|Hon. Shri Sudhansu Kumar Das||10.1.1955||30.4.1956|
|Hon. Shri Syed Jafar Imam||3.9.1953||10.1.1955|
|Hon. Shri David Ezra Reuben||1.6.1952||2.9.1953|
|Hon. Pandit Lakshami Kant Jha||8.4.1950||1.6.1952|
|Hon. Sir Herbert Ribton Meredith||25.1.1950||8.4.1950|
|Hon. Sir Clifford Monmohan Agarwala||9.1.1948||24.1.1950|
|Hon. Sir Syed Fazl Ali||19.1.1943||14.10.1946|
|Hon. Sir Arther Trevor Harries||10.10.1938||19.1.1943|
|Hon Justice Kulwant Sahay|
|Hon. Sir Courtney Terrell||31.3.1928||6.5.1938|
|Hon. Sir Thomas Fredrick Dawson Miller||31.10.1917||31.3.1928|
|Hon. Sir Edward Maynerd Des Champs Chamier||01.03.1916||30.10.1917|
Former Puisne Judges
Former Puisne Judges of the Court include: